Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Wheel weight/size + tire weight equals... an upgrade guide?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-05, 09:38 PM
EyesOnly
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel weight/size + tire weight equals... an upgrade guide?

Maybe this already exists somewhere, but someone should really make a definitive wheel weight/size chart, including tires. I tried searching, but only a few threads have any real information.

The reason it would be nice to see is for someone who has OEM wheels/tires and wants to upgrade. Most of us don't want to lose performance if we upgrade wheels/tires, so it would make sense not to increase the overall weight of the wheel/tire setup.

I've read conflicting things on tire weight- some say that lower profile tires can actually weigh more because of the augmented sidewall, while others say that less sidewall equals less tire weight. Larger wheels are usually heavier, but if they can be offset by lighter tires, this would be an option for those who do not want to add any unsprung weight.

Obviously it would be impossible to have a chart that has all aftermarket wheels and tires listed, but maybe just some common setups would be enough to figure out how much your desired setup would weigh. I couldn't imagine being more disappointed if I spent a ton of money on new wheels and tires, only to find out that my ride quality is worse and the car is slower.

Perhaps we could start by collecting all known tire/wheel combos? (i.e. if you know the weight of your setup, could you post it?) It seems like this is something people want, and there's always a thread on here asking "what about these wheels- are they good and does anyone know how much they weigh?" What does everyone think?
Old 11-22-05, 09:47 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Originally Posted by EyesOnly
Maybe this already exists somewhere, but someone should really make a definitive wheel weight/size chart, including tires. I tried searching, but only a few threads have any real information.

The reason it would be nice to see is for someone who has OEM wheels/tires and wants to upgrade. Most of us don't want to lose performance if we upgrade wheels/tires, so it would make sense not to increase the overall weight of the wheel/tire setup.

I've read conflicting things on tire weight- some say that lower profile tires can actually weigh more because of the augmented sidewall, while others say that less sidewall equals less tire weight. Larger wheels are usually heavier, but if they can be offset by lighter tires, this would be an option for those who do not want to add any unsprung weight.

Obviously it would be impossible to have a chart that has all aftermarket wheels and tires listed, but maybe just some common setups would be enough to figure out how much your desired setup would weigh. I couldn't imagine being more disappointed if I spent a ton of money on new wheels and tires, only to find out that my ride quality is worse and the car is slower.

Perhaps we could start by collecting all known tire/wheel combos? (i.e. if you know the weight of your setup, could you post it?) It seems like this is something people want, and there's always a thread on here asking "what about these wheels- are they good and does anyone know how much they weigh?" What does everyone think?
There are a couple of sites out there that have taken a crack at this with varying degrees of success.
http://www.wheelweights.net/ (good but a little out of date)
http://www.miata.net/faq/wheel_weights.html (scroll down, mostly smaller size but some apply)
http://www.superhonda.com/tech/wheel_weights.html

The best way IMO to compare wheel / tire weights is to narrow down your selection and then compare. There are way too many variables to collect this info effectively.
Old 11-22-05, 09:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

good idea, but i can tell you it's very hard. i mean, even on wheels offset it took so long and ended me writing up the whole guide and i am still missing some. it's good to have all these info though

and btw, lower profile tires, usually they are heavier.

and another point ideally you should have in the chart that affects performance greatly. where's the majority of the weight at? the center or the outside? if tis' the center, it's actually not that bad at all. but if it's mostly at the outside, good luck
Old 11-24-05, 02:32 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Most of the tire manufacturers have a tech line that can give specs on the tires you have in mind.
In my case, the BFG TA KDW-2 in 245/40-18 weighed in pretty close to the 225/60-16 Michelin MX4V at 26#'s some odd.

With as many changing wheels and tires, this would be an exhausting data base to assemble and maintain.