Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

**what do you guys think of Wheel Wax?**

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-05, 02:57 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default **what do you guys think of Wheel Wax?**

I bought some and plan to use it this weekend after i wash my car ..its says its safe for all finished ....anyone have any experience with this?

I read on a site that it is clearcoat safe

anyone ?
Old 12-21-05, 09:09 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've never used it, but I did a bunch of testing with various wheel "polishes" and found that almost ALL of them were abrasive even if they boldly claimed on the label that they were NON-ABRASIVE, so be careful until you know for sure. I have a Volvo wheel with a bunch of spots where these various "non-abrasive" products took the finish down to the primer with about 15 seconds of rubbing. Just as with wheel cleaners that "claim" to be safe for all wheels, you can't really tell based on label claims.

Originally Posted by LEXISM

I bought some and plan to use it this weekend after i wash my car ..its says its safe for all finished ....anyone have any experience with this?

I read on a site that it is clearcoat safe

anyone ?
Old 12-21-05, 02:20 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

ok Im not putting this stuff on
Old 12-21-05, 02:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

see, the way i see it:

1) if it's just pure wax, i wouldn't bother putting them on, coz' the wheels get much hot and with all brake dust, don't bother
2) if you have clear coat on polish, i wouldn't put anything more "hard core" than normal wax on body. in general wax on polish surface is even more volunable, and plus it's so shiny, need to be careful (so it contradict point 1)
3) if you don't have clear coat, then wax is useless. might as well use polish (either paint polish or metal polish depends on finish)
4) if you have chrome, then wax wont' help you a bit, and polish is a big nono imho (you don't want to scratch chrome)

soo...... just wash your wheels more often
Old 12-21-05, 02:49 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

its not polish it is a wax. I've used it along with poorboys now. While I cant say that it helped a whole lot it certainly did not hurt anything. Ihave non clearcoated high polish wheels
Old 12-22-05, 04:06 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I dont know about the Wheel Wax product, but I regularly use Poorboys Wheel Sealant. I have non clearcoated lips so I polish them up and then seal them with the wheel sealant. I prevents brake dust and water spots from really accumulating on the lip. I also use the sealant on the clearcoated face and no problems at all. The nice thing is a few times a week I just hose the wheel off and dry and it is as good as new. I didnt put the wheel sealant on for about a month and then I got a few water spots on the lips. Now I apply the wheel sealant about 1 time a week or 1 time every two weeks, depending on the amount of rain and driving I do. But I will only polish the wheels about once a month. This stuff works great and is definately worth the price
Old 12-22-05, 09:17 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
I dont know about the Wheel Wax product, but I regularly use Poorboys Wheel Sealant. I have non clearcoated lips so I polish them up and then seal them with the wheel sealant. I prevents brake dust and water spots from really accumulating on the lip. I also use the sealant on the clearcoated face and no problems at all. The nice thing is a few times a week I just hose the wheel off and dry and it is as good as new. I didnt put the wheel sealant on for about a month and then I got a few water spots on the lips. Now I apply the wheel sealant about 1 time a week or 1 time every two weeks, depending on the amount of rain and driving I do. But I will only polish the wheels about once a month. This stuff works great and is definately worth the price
whats it look like and where's the best place to buy this?...so it is clearcoat safe
Old 12-22-05, 10:11 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

It comes in a white jar. I got my from the detailing experts at E46Fanatics. I will get their website for you. It was only like $12 or so but it goes a long way.
Old 12-22-05, 10:13 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

It is detailedimage.com. They have a ton of products at really great prices.