Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Offset question for SC430 with 20" Maya DTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-06, 03:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ummm damn i am getting old, you could be right. but either case yours should be ok

you can do 245/30/20 and 275/25/20 if you want, though that's very low profile. i lower the car to almost no wheel gap. it rubs mainly due to the overspec size i think?
Old 01-11-06, 11:35 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Rominl or ssk or whoever else has a SC430 can you post some pictures up of your SC with the rims on from a side angle of the rim so I can see how far they stick out and how much farther the fender sticks out than the tire. I am also trying to digure out which offset is best. Looking at the stock rim and tires and using a offset calculator from the stock 18x8 +45 to 20x10.5 +30 said it would stick out an extra 47mm which is 4.7 cm which is about 1.85 inches which seems like too much when measuring from the stock rim, but I could be measuring from the wrong pont. Not sure. Any pictures would be greatly apreciated.
Old 01-11-06, 01:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

keep in mind your car is not lowered, when it's lowered it's different. though the rear being around 1.8" more outward that sounds about right in my case. the stock setup is just weak.

i don't think i have pics of my car that way, may try to snap some shots this weekend if possible. you know, it's hard when you don't have the car
Old 01-11-06, 05:39 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
keep in mind your car is not lowered, when it's lowered it's different. though the rear being around 1.8" more outward that sounds about right in my case. the stock setup is just weak.

i don't think i have pics of my car that way, may try to snap some shots this weekend if possible. you know, it's hard when you don't have the car

Your right when it gets lowered camber makes it go in somewhat but once you get an alignment shouldnt it be in the same position as it is now?
Old 01-11-06, 09:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
Your right when it gets lowered camber makes it go in somewhat but once you get an alignment shouldnt it be in the same position as it is now?
hardly, coz' very quickly you will max out the camber and no way you can bring it to stock spec
Old 01-12-06, 06:49 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

hardly, coz' very quickly you will max out the camber and no way you can bring it to stock spec

but you gotta keep in mind your pretty slammed, meaning your more lowered then most people. For the average person I am guessing they will prob get something around 1"-1.5" drop which should not throw off they camber settings too much. I think you can get it back to stock specs with a 1" drop no problem. Also people could get camber kits. This being said should your offset have been higher if you werent planning to lower it that much or willing to have that high of negative camber.
Old 01-12-06, 08:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

1" yes, but 1.5" i beieve you will be out of spec already. also, with 1" drop, yes, you might be able to get it back to spec on camber, however, spec is just a "range", you will most likely be in the negative side of the spec.

moreoever, keep in mind that when you hit something and the wheel goes up, it doesn't just go up. it goes up and IN. so thus creating more clearance

and no there is NO camber kits for our cars.

and as far as i know, no matter how you lower the car, the offsets i put up should be safe
Old 01-12-06, 09:47 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

1" yes, but 1.5" i beieve you will be out of spec already. also, with 1" drop, yes, you might be able to get it back to spec on camber, however, spec is just a "range", you will most likely be in the negative side of the spec.

moreoever, keep in mind that when you hit something and the wheel goes up, it doesn't just go up. it goes up and IN. so thus creating more clearance

and no there is NO camber kits for our cars.

and as far as i know, no matter how you lower the car, the offsets i put up should be safe

thanks rominl u always got the answers would you consider your setup now with the +30 offset as safe or more along agressive side. On your sticky you put agressive but from the pictures I saw it didnt seem too dangerous.
Old 01-12-06, 09:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yeah i would call myself aggressive coz' i am right at the boundary of rubbing already, and tire choice is the key (so you can imagine how marginal it is).

and yes, from pics it might look "ok", but the problem is the fenders. go take a look at your fenders, both front and back. see the fender tabs? that's black tabs, on the gs or other lexus, you can shave them down so your wheels can stick out more to get flush with fenders

however the fender tab on sc430 is actually very "integrated" with the fender lining, so it's very hard to shave it without doing a lot more work on the lining.

hope this is a good explanation

and trust me, with my wheels setup? i am that close from bad rubbing (i rub now coz' i lower the car so much)