Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

98-04 GS on 22's

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-06, 06:43 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say if you can pull it off do it. For the most part the general public has no idea how big of a rim you can put on your car and make it look good. Its all a matter of preference. It doesnt matter what most people think about your car it matters what you think. Let me put it in perspective, about 5 years ago when the new celica body style just came out everyone was riding on 17's and if you wanted to be daring you would go with 18's. Everyone was like u cant go too big its going to look funny ect. But who cares I wanted 19's and I did it. Then everyone was like oo wow looks nice ect. of course i had to get a low kit, as well as slam the car but if you want to do it just do it. Dont listen to what other people say because its your car
Old 01-27-06, 06:52 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
I'd say if you can pull it off do it. For the most part the general public has no idea how big of a rim you can put on your car and make it look good. Its all a matter of preference. It doesnt matter what most people think about your car it matters what you think. Let me put it in perspective, about 5 years ago when the new celica body style just came out everyone was riding on 17's and if you wanted to be daring you would go with 18's. Everyone was like u cant go too big its going to look funny ect. But who cares I wanted 19's and I did it. Then everyone was like oo wow looks nice ect. of course i had to get a low kit, as well as slam the car but if you want to do it just do it. Dont listen to what other people say because its your car
Your wrong. We do know, some of us are not the general public. 20s are the biggest that should be on the GS going with the correct +3 method. The OEM suspension was not built for anything bigger than that. Quite frankly, Lexus never tested the 2GS with any wheels bigger than 18s, so after that you are on your own.

Its too big, its ridiculous, you will look like an asshat to everyone but your ignorant buddies who have only one math equation in their head. Bigger is better.

I've seen on in PERSON at NOPI and you needed a ladder to enter the car, it looks like total crap, and needless to say, he didn't even win a trophy at NOPI..
Old 01-27-06, 07:50 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Lets not start a war here theres no point, obviously you have your opinions and I have mine. I can guarentee you that if I had a GS and the funds I could pull off a set of 22's without a problem. I probally would go with 21's but I am saying I could pull off 22's. Think about it this way the gs is bigger than a SC and there are SC's with 21's in the rear 20's up front. dont you think a gs could pull off 22's in the rear 21's up front.

On another note it says that your VIP member of club chetahs or something. In Florida chetahs is a strip club having fun in VIP?
Old 01-27-06, 09:52 AM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's an SC rolling down here & it looks like a 4x4. A lot oc Caprice & old scholl rides though. It's hard out here for a pimp. I thought about buying an old school Nova & throwing some 22's on it.
Old 01-27-06, 10:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Lets not start a war here theres no point, obviously you have your opinions and I have mine. I can guarentee you that if I had a GS and the funds I could pull off a set of 22's without a problem. I probally would go with 21's but I am saying I could pull off 22's. Think about it this way the gs is bigger than a SC and there are SC's with 21's in the rear 20's up front. dont you think a gs could pull off 22's in the rear 21's up front.

On another note it says that your VIP member of club chetahs or something. In Florida chetahs is a strip club having fun in VIP?
put in 22s, and try to turn the steering wheel full lock left/right and tell me what happens. that's my only question to you

on my sc430 with 20s, lowered. when i do full hard lock turns left and right, the wheels are already rubbing the front of the wheel well. with 21s? unless you go stupid width like 7", you are going to rub bad

and i am not even talking about the top of the wheel well. with 20s, if you lowered reasonably (not slam), you are going to hit the top of wheel well when you hit a dip already. it's due to the suspension design. with 21s or 22s? make sure you don't drop your car, then you might have a chance.

i won't call myself an expert, just a guy who knows a bit on these stuff. if you want to talk about look, put 22s on gs and put 21s on the sc430 are ok, as long as you drop the car a lot to make it look ratio and not too high up the front. i think that's *doable". however if you drop like that, good luck on driving the car practically on the road.
Old 01-27-06, 11:10 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
put in 22s, and try to turn the steering wheel full lock left/right and tell me what happens. that's my only question to you

on my sc430 with 20s, lowered. when i do full hard lock turns left and right, the wheels are already rubbing the front of the wheel well. with 21s? unless you go stupid width like 7", you are going to rub bad

and i am not even talking about the top of the wheel well. with 20s, if you lowered reasonably (not slam), you are going to hit the top of wheel well when you hit a dip already. it's due to the suspension design. with 21s or 22s? make sure you don't drop your car, then you might have a chance.

i won't call myself an expert, just a guy who knows a bit on these stuff. if you want to talk about look, put 22s on gs and put 21s on the sc430 are ok, as long as you drop the car a lot to make it look ratio and not too high up the front. i think that's *doable". however if you drop like that, good luck on driving the car practically on the road.

Your running 255/35/20's up front for your SC430 right now, lets just say for instance you could run this setup in the GS. If you ran 245/30/21 the diameter would be 26.8" which compared to the 255/35/20 at 27" is smaller. so I am pretty sure it would be fine for a SC not sure about a GS. and thats just for height

Last edited by tonydt1g3r; 01-27-06 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-27-06, 11:31 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your running 255/35/20's up front for your SC430 right now, lets just say for instance you could run this setup in the GS. If you ran 245/30/21 the diameter would be 26.8" which compared to the 255/35/20 at 27" is smaller. so I am pretty sure it would be fine for a SC not sure about a GS. and thats just for height
Well, like they say , "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." If you like 22s, you will get 22s and love them. You will have to compromise the ride by riding on 30 series tires, drop the car enough to make the looks balanced, deal with the rubbing that comes with that drop, ... You get the idea.

I don't think 22s can be done. Even slammed or mildly dropped, kit or no kit, 22s just look too big. I've seen ones that are tolerable but it looks forced. The GS is big but not like a 7-series or a 300m big. In the end, the owner will do what the owner will do (and did).
Old 01-27-06, 12:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

and in my case, there was a good reason why i got 245/35/20 (for gs4) and 255/35/20 (for sc430). that's already overspec tires, i was "supposed" to get 245/30/20 or 255/30/20. but that's almost no sidewall and for a car that's driven daily (15k miles a yr easy), personally i don't and won't recommend it. that's why i went overspec on tire size, and that's pushing the limit already

with 245/30/21, yes, you have pretty much identical overall diameter as my 255/35/20, but you are back on rubber band again
Old 01-27-06, 01:14 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

yea but you would be turning fine with rubber bands
Old 01-30-06, 01:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well, tony, i am not going to continue the discussion, but here you go

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...php?p=1698558#

on the gs, i dont' think it's going to e too far off
Old 01-30-06, 06:40 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
Well, like they say , "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." If you like 22s, you will get 22s and love them. You will have to compromise the ride by riding on 30 series tires, drop the car enough to make the looks balanced, deal with the rubbing that comes with that drop, ... You get the idea.

I don't think 22s can be done. Even slammed or mildly dropped, kit or no kit, 22s just look too big. I've seen ones that are tolerable but it looks forced. The GS is big but not like a 7-series or a 300m big. In the end, the owner will do what the owner will do (and did).
I think thats just the best way to sum it all up, and also the reason that around these parts there not a really a reason to "ask" for an opinion on it (since it will be a resouding no in most cases).

I will be the first to admit that I am a sucker for large diameter wheels, however I find the most important facet to be PROPORTION!!! As I always say, the GS is just a really SHORT car, and thats my reasoning against 22". If anything I'd feel more comfortable trying to squeeze some 22" gunmetal iFORGED on a 1st gen GS since its alot longer (194inch vs. 189inch). My second pre-requisite is a aggressive lowering, meaning if you can't lower the car 1.75-2.5" after fitting the wheels, then leave it be.

If the original poster wants a answer then it is yes, you can run a 245/30-22 on a 20x8.5 all day long on a GS, however it will look odd (pregnant ladybug) perched so high in the air.

Good luck with it all
Old 01-30-06, 01:22 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

Default 22's?? Here ya go.

Get'er Done!
Attached Thumbnails 98-04 GS on 22's-32649lex3.jpg  
Old 07-09-06, 11:01 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Default Donks, Boxes and Bubbles!!!

Ok, I wont state my opinion but I would say that I am in the majority when sometimes, bigger just aint any better.

Here's proof that others would strongly disagree with us .... http://www.cardomain.com/features/donks
Attached Thumbnails 98-04 GS on 22's-pic_1_lg-1-.jpg  
Old 07-10-06, 08:52 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mole
Ok, I wont state my opinion but I would say that I am in the majority when sometimes, bigger just aint any better.

Here's proof that others would strongly disagree with us .... http://www.cardomain.com/features/donks

Okaaaaaaa....Yeahhhhhh
Old 07-13-06, 03:25 PM
Blk96Supra
Lead Lap

I would say yes if you can make it drivable. if its a pain in the *** and you cant even make a U-Turn then it aint worth it.

Quick Reply: 98-04 GS on 22's