Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Free at last, free at last, thank God I'm runflat free at last!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-06, 02:35 PM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kleef
I switched my run flats out for Michelin PS2's a couple of months ago and it made a world of difference in the ride quality. Enjoy your new ride! I have been driving with a can of fix-a-flat in the trunk but i am going to check out the Conticomfort fix that you mention. Thanks for that tip!
Hope you never have to use it, but if any of us who use the ContiComfort Kit unfortunately have to try it we should report the results back to the board.
All of a sudden my 45 minute commute from work isn't quite long enough.
Old 03-30-06, 02:36 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what's the recommended air pressure number I should use on my new Mich. Pilot Sport A/S?
thanks....
Old 03-31-06, 12:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

18s? stay at around 37psi cold i say
Old 03-31-06, 08:33 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

I'm Free at last, Thank God, I'm free at last.....

Well, my tires issues got resolved today at my custom auto shop.

Replaced the dreaded run-falt Dunlop DSST 5000 (Dealership issued) w/ brand spankin new non-run flat Mich. Pilot Sport A/S from Tirerack. The delivery took one day from Reno, NV to Norcal. I highly recommend Tirerack.com. Very responsive customer service and they returned my call with ETA info.

My friend gave me a ride to the shop in his Beemer 540i ('96) running on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S w/ 17's all around (which I found out later). I kept commenting on the nice soft smooth ride of this car. After I stepped out and looke at this tires, guess what. Michelins Pilot Sport A/S's.

I'm now running the Mich. Pilot Sport A/S = 245/40 18 all around on chrome TRD rims 18x8.5 all around.

WOW! What a big difference! It's like night and day.

Today, it was showers and wet roads here in NorCal. I picked up the car in the afternoon and took it for a spin on the wet surfaced road and freeway. They gripped like magnets. I wasn't afraid to push the tires a little and see if they lived up to their high ratings.

The noise level in my cabin was still the same, quiet and nice. The little bumps in the road were less noticable and the comfort in ride was like brand new when I bought the car right off the showroom floor.

On the freeway, I started slow and kept it under 65. stuck like glue.
hit the gas and was up to 80. it still kept in a straight line on the slick freeway. noise level was very very low. Cornering felt more comfortable than ever.

It feels like I'm riding on cloud 9 now w/ these Michelins.
Oh, I also dropped the car 1" w/ new Eibach Pro Kit springs. It made the ride even smoother, just like butter.

Oh, I just realized i copied the same response in the same forum on two threads. Oh, well. sorry.

Last edited by martini3; 03-31-06 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-03-06, 05:54 PM
rjjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Goodyear F-1's on my other car. So far 12K miles and same as new. Guiet and sticky. Plently of tread left too.

I"m getting a set for my Lexus.
Old 04-04-06, 03:09 PM
JTMav
Intermediate

Quick update. Today we had very heavy rain around Boston and the Goodyear F1's were incredible. Could not gett them to hydroplane a bit. Simply great peformance.

JTMav
Old 04-07-06, 10:13 AM
scubamom
Driver School Candidate

I love the title of this thread! We just received our 430 and yes it has the "dreaded" run flats on them. (does the factory even give one an option?)

The ride is far better than the 'Vettes I used to drive, but not as good as my dear old Caddy Eldorado (that was traded for the Lexus)... we mostly drive Tahoes, so far as we are concerned, the ride of the 430 isn't the smoothest but it beats most of the other cars we drive!

HOWEVER, they appear to be very loud ... not too bad up to about 55 mph, but at 70 its like a roar. Is this just our car, or what the run flats do and sound like?
Old 04-07-06, 09:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by scubamom
I love the title of this thread! We just received our 430 and yes it has the "dreaded" run flats on them. (does the factory even give one an option?)

The ride is far better than the 'Vettes I used to drive, but not as good as my dear old Caddy Eldorado (that was traded for the Lexus)... we mostly drive Tahoes, so far as we are concerned, the ride of the 430 isn't the smoothest but it beats most of the other cars we drive!

HOWEVER, they appear to be very loud ... not too bad up to about 55 mph, but at 70 its like a roar. Is this just our car, or what the run flats do and sound like?
it probably has some inside wear, those tires get pretty loud as they wear out
Old 04-08-06, 10:42 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Scubamom,

I feel your pain and it will get more painful as those miles increase on those run-craps.
The noise will get louder as the tread (especially the middle of the tire) becomes much smoother. Since our tires are low-profile, the wear and tear will eventually cause you to feel every knick and crack in the road. Yes, the truth hurts, but it's better to know now and take care of it before you start pulling your hair out.

My front tires had excessive wear on the inner/outer layers, exposing the metal wires.
My back tires had excessive wear in the middle and were completely bald.
30k miles was the result of these cheap-a-- run-craps.

The "Free At Last Club" is awaiting your membership enrollment. Callers are standing by.

Last edited by martini3; 04-08-06 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-09-06, 04:59 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Originally Posted by scubamom

Since I started the thread I will just restate the point. The overall ride quality, handling and noise are substantially improved with the proper tires. You won't believe the difference. I love the Goodyears I bought from Tire Rack. Simply the best tires I have ever owned in 38 years of driving.
Good luck and congrats on the new ride.

JTMav.
Old 04-12-06, 04:26 PM
rjjr
Driver School Candidate

I had my F1's installed today and the ride and handling are great. I have one problem with the car pulling to the right. I called the dealer and they said they'd look at it . But, right away they were saying something about high performance tires and how they follow the crown of the road...LOL

How do I rebut this BS.