Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Why wider rims on the back???

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-06, 10:04 AM
Stef2584J
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why wider rims on the back???

Someone please tell me why some people use wider rims on back when upgrading to larger wheels?
Old 04-08-06, 10:08 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

better traction
looks better
Old 04-08-06, 10:09 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by joshoowa
better traction
looks better
Put "A LOT" in between look and better.

Jonny
Old 04-08-06, 10:11 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

Usually the goal when upgrading to larger wheels is for performance, handling and looks. When you go with the wider wheel in the rear, you're most likely going to go with a wider tire. A wider tire means more surface contact with the ground where as a narrower tire has less. The more surface contact you have with the ground, the better your traction and handling capabilities become. Since the the GS is a rear wheel drive car, it only makes sense you go with a staggered wheel set-up that has wider wheels in the rear.
Old 04-08-06, 10:33 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes!! For GS wheels, only Stagger all the way!!
I love the look and the traction they provided!!
Old 04-08-06, 10:38 AM
tonysofly
Pole Position

my next wheels will definitely be staggered.....it just doesn't feel right when it's not staggered, well after lookin at everybody else's wheels on CL. drove my friend's gs with staggered wheels, feels differently on the handling, no doubt about that
Old 04-08-06, 10:41 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks leaner and meaner with a staggered set up. Most performance cars like BMW M, Porshe, Corvette, have staggered fitments. Performance oriented folks love that set up. Go for it Unless you want to be a part of the dish network lol. j/k
Old 04-08-06, 10:45 AM
4thone
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I will be staggering next.
Old 04-08-06, 10:57 AM
csq860
Pole Position

I agree with the staggered look, but another thing is actually having different size tires, say 18's front and 19's rear, or 19's and 20's. I know this is a popular setup on some sports cars but has anyone tried it on a GS, and if so what was it like?
Old 04-08-06, 10:59 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Stef2584J
Someone please tell me why some people use wider rims on back when upgrading to larger wheels?
Well it begins with car companies. If you look at high performance cars and exotics with a RWD setup, they go staggered (and in some AWD applications with a RWD bias), they have staggered sizes, i.e wider rear tires, to allow all that power the engine is making, to more effectively hit the road. If the tires were thinner, you get more wheelspin and less power to the ground.

If you notice real drag cars, they run wide slicks in the back, not only is it wider, with a slick, with no grooves, ALL that power can go to the tire. Grooves in street tires are for rain, and with less rubber, that is less power to the road.

You will notice the Pontica Grand prix GXP is the first FWD car to offer staggered up front. The front tires are wider than the rears, as it is a FWD car. Thing is with a FWD car, is gives the car MORE torque steer. It also looks ghey as hell.

If you notice FWD drag cars, the slicks and wider wheels are up front

Staggered on FWD cars is also ghey as hell, as you CLEARLY are in for looks and not the technical, purposeful function of the car.

I hope this helps you and those in this thread. Now time to bar-b-que!!
Old 04-08-06, 11:12 AM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question

How do you maintain staggered wheels? Since it can't be rotationed and switched, does that mean trend life is shorter?
Old 04-08-06, 11:17 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

you cant rotate them You would have to bring it to the tire shop to have them flip the tires.
Old 04-08-06, 11:32 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikal
you cant rotate them You would have to bring it to the tire shop to have them flip the tires.

That is the only way to get extra life out of the tires. I flip them at about 8k miles before the tread gets too worn down.
Old 04-08-06, 04:00 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

You only have to get the tire removed and remounted if it is a directional tire. If its not, then you can just pull off the wheels and swap sides. However, perfomance tires are almost always directional. I'm sure all of you know this anyway
Old 04-08-06, 10:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
You only have to get the tire removed and remounted if it is a directional tire. If its not, then you can just pull off the wheels and swap sides. However, perfomance tires are almost always directional. I'm sure all of you know this anyway
well, actually there are more and more assymetric high performance tires out there now

Quick Reply: Why wider rims on the back???