Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-06, 01:30 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Suspension question

I have a 2000 ES300 and I just installed my lowering springs over the past weekend. The springs were a 1.6 inch drop all around and I love the drop I have in the front but the rear is lower than what I expected. Some one told me about Spring spacers but I'm not sure how safe they are. Does anyone know much about them?
Old 04-10-06, 11:45 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Don't Do It!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Smitty0881
I have a 2000 ES300 and I just installed my lowering springs over the past weekend. The springs were a 1.6 inch drop all around and I love the drop I have in the front but the rear is lower than what I expected. Some one told me about Spring spacers but I'm not sure how safe they are. Does anyone know much about them?
Smitty, I am havcing the same problem with my 92 LS. Installed H&R springs for a total 1" drop all the way round. My problem came in to play when I discovered that at stock height I was running a tire that was 1" overall too big for the car. Wasn't noticed at stock height, however when car dropped, tops of wheels rub over large bumps. I instaled the spacers to try to alleviate the problem temp, until I got the correct tires and I also need to replace my bushings. Anyway, DOOOO NOOOTTTTT INSTALLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!! That nice,beautiful ride that you enjoy now, will be ed turned to absolute mush!!!!!!. Your car WILL feel unstable with these things, you WILL feel EVERY crack, nick, bump in the road, and you WILL bounce like a low rider over speed bumps. I plan to yank these things off of my car ASAP. Only using them as temp tix to correct rub problem, of my own doing, until I change my bushings and put tires on my rims. Bottom line.... temp fix for tire scrub,,,,OK. Ride quality gone down hill......HHHHHEEEEEEYYYY YYYYAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!! Safety,,, if you install ones in rear that are adjustable, it was advised by parts person at store to secure an additional means of locking spacer in place so it would not FALL OUT if you decide to step on it and the spring goes to full extention over a large bump. Consequently, the front springs being smaller than the rears, do not have an adjuster. Bottom line, these things can and most likely will fall out. PLEASE DON'T DO IT. YOU DEFINATELY WILL NOT BE HAPPY!!!!!!

Last edited by trukn1; 04-10-06 at 11:49 PM.