Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?
View Poll Results: What size rims for NYC?
18 inch MRR HR2's
35.19%
19 inch MRR HR2's
64.81%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

NYC driver, wants rims. POLL WHAT SIZE

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 02:01 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess everyones different, and honestly no one can answer that question for you because we ALL have different driving styles. I drive in Bklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Bx and all that with 22" wheels on 30 and 25 series tires with a 2.7" drop and no issues or bends. And for the record I have never slowed to 30mph and put hazards on while driving the LIE (I just got off that highway about 1 hour ago).

I drove the GS with 20's slammed all up and down the city too, no probs. You just have to watch where your going. If you are careless you will bend oem 16" wheels!

lol
Old 04-25-06, 07:57 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
I guess everyones different, and honestly no one can answer that question for you because we ALL have different driving styles. I drive in Bklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Bx and all that with 22" wheels on 30 and 25 series tires with a 2.7" drop and no issues or bends. And for the record I have never slowed to 30mph and put hazards on while driving the LIE (I just got off that highway about 1 hour ago).

I drove the GS with 20's slammed all up and down the city too, no probs. You just have to watch where your going. If you are careless you will bend oem 16" wheels!

lol
OK, well I must have just been on some of worse sections of NYC's roads. The BQE in Brooklyn was just delporable. The LIE in Queens near Woodhaven Ave. was full of major dips and crevices (though the road was under construction so this will probably be eventually corrected). And in Manhattan, traveling down the FDR below 85th St. into the Village was absolutely horrible. I just moved right and did about 30 mph, and I wasn't alone.

I must have just picked the real bad roads.

Yes, you can just be careful, and watch attentively, and just dodge as best you can...but damn!, hardly seems worth it if you have to do that regularly. Sheesh!

19s look great, and 20s look best on the GS...but I, myself, would sacrifice the look for some comfort and peace of mind if those were roads I traveled on often.

But that's just me.
Old 04-25-06, 08:53 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KevinGS
OK, well I must have just been on some of worse sections of NYC's roads. The BQE in Brooklyn was just delporable. The LIE in Queens near Woodhaven Ave. was full of major dips and crevices (though the road was under construction so this will probably be eventually corrected). And in Manhattan, traveling down the FDR below 85th St. into the Village was absolutely horrible. I just moved right and did about 30 mph, and I wasn't alone.

I must have just picked the real bad roads.

Yes, you can just be careful, and watch attentively, and just dodge as best you can...but damn!, hardly seems worth it if you have to do that regularly. Sheesh!

19s look great, and 20s look best on the GS...but I, myself, would sacrifice the look for some comfort and peace of mind if those were roads I traveled on often.

But that's just me.
Yuppers, I know all those areas, the only one I dont really use much is the BQE, but if I needed to shoot out to the Verrazano I'd be on it. The FDR is a pain in the butt, so I just slow down some, not to 30mph and northbound believe it or not is better than southbound!
Old 04-26-06, 06:33 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yup...fdr northbound is way better than southbound... slowing down like that may get ya hit...

thats why they say if you can whip it in NYC you can drive anywhere....We go through obstacle courses on a daily improves our driving skills
Old 04-26-06, 06:36 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Gotta bump the tires to 42 psi at least. The Mill Basin drawbridge on the Belt Pkwy is pot hole city USA. . You slow down on that, and your teeth will be cracked. I tend to drive faster on that since the car will glide over the bumps. No damage to tire or rims yet.
Old 04-26-06, 06:50 AM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

As far as damage protection and ride quality are concerned, fat 19's = standard 18's. So the ride and risk are the same. The fat 19's look much better, but cost more for tires, are heavier, and your speedo will be off a bit.

If you did decide on an 18" fitment, I think the MRR is one of the best choices for appearance, but the 19's look much better IMO.
Old 04-26-06, 08:29 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

19 inch tires in 245 and 275 sizes are not cheap. 245 tires will run about 160 per tire and275 tires will run you about 300 bucks per tire. If you go non-staggered, it will be much cheaper.
Old 04-26-06, 07:01 PM
BklynGS
Driver

Definitely go with 19s I did it last year and couldn't be happier with the decision. NO bends and i don't really slow down, just watch where your going. IMO 18s just look too much like stock 17s
Old 04-26-06, 08:02 PM
djjt
Lead Lap

i guess 19s it is, but damn those prices for R19 tires are like... haha ehhh... twice the price?
Old 04-26-06, 08:06 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djjt
i guess 19s it is, but damn those prices for R19 tires are like... haha ehhh... twice the price?

gotta pay to play bro...my tires for my staggered 20s just cost me $930 (that was with 3 year damage protection but still)
Old 04-27-06, 07:01 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
gotta pay to play bro...my tires for my staggered 20s just cost me $930 (that was with 3 year damage protection but still)
Love the new sig Your Milano's look like they were painted bronze Did you paint them or is it still silver?
Old 04-27-06, 08:12 AM
samster
Pole Position

noone knows the way u drive dude! i think its best bet to feel ur own need because when i drive with rage i always seem to squeEze a pothole or two. somtimes when ur tailing the morOn in front thats going 10 mpH and by the time u see him hit it u cant see it because he's right on top of it etc. i'm from brooklyn and brooklyn actaully seems great to me but qweens roads are ******* up, i would take 19" if u only cruise in the lex, i have even tiny bents on 16" 225/50's for the supra but mabe thats because of speed n pothole, but if u cruise slow and never think u need to speed up a tad go with 19" just never get on the FDR ~ and i believe everywhere is safe. i don't kno about u NYC guys but i just remember where all the pot holes are if u know what i mean. if u drive on the same roads like almost everyday i would imagn u know exactly everypot hole possible so thats like sayin u are just plain safe. if u have a bad memory with pothole locations and like driving on the left lane going 70 u might need to rethink bout it but if u cruise 55 slow on the highways n 25 slow on the streets u should be just fine. are the kicks on ur feet cleAN? do u run? lol i owuld personally do 19"s with the GS car is just to thick for 17" look like a lil fat boy wit size 5 feeT -=X but GS is just a crusin sedan, but the supra is more for the sport i guess? 19" deep~!!
Old 04-27-06, 08:12 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I used to have 18 SSRs on my GS. They looked way better than the stock 17, but still not enough. I had 40 profile on them, and never bent anything. Just don't go slow over those bumps, if you fly through them, there is a chance that the rim will not go in deep enough. On, and I am on the belt, by that damn draw bridge every day. Both ways suck. When I am ready for new rims, I think I will go for 20". If I am going to avoid anything, it will be for the 20", nothing smaller.

FYI,
To pass the belt draw bridge safely, stay in the left lane. Even though it looks like a warezone there, the bumps actually proturede upward, and our cars go over them pretty easily and smoothly. If you stay in the right or middle, you are going to go over a billion potholes.
Old 04-27-06, 08:22 AM
samster
Pole Position

the belt isn't horrible denting roads the belt is more of like rollorcasting lols but the FDR south idon't think i'd liike 17" on there lols thats like runnin over a plywood stack with i nail when u have ur jordans on -=P hmmm what about those plates by ocean parkway? on the middle n right side goine east? when ur gettin home do those seem to bother u? and they redid the whole belt again from exit 1- 2 only bad part of belt would be the 2 lil bridges by rockaway and thats nothing major
Old 04-27-06, 08:50 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by samster
noone knows the way u drive dude! i think its best bet to feel ur own need because when i drive with rage i always seem to squeEze a pothole or two. somtimes when ur tailing the morOn in front thats going 10 mpH and by the time u see him hit it u cant see it because he's right on top of it etc. i'm from brooklyn and brooklyn actaully seems great to me but qweens roads are ******* up, i would take 19" if u only cruise in the lex, i have even tiny bents on 16" 225/50's for the supra but mabe thats because of speed n pothole, but if u cruise slow and never think u need to speed up a tad go with 19" just never get on the FDR ~ and i believe everywhere is safe. i don't kno about u NYC guys but i just remember where all the pot holes are if u know what i mean. if u drive on the same roads like almost everyday i would imagn u know exactly everypot hole possible so thats like sayin u are just plain safe. if u have a bad memory with pothole locations and like driving on the left lane going 70 u might need to rethink bout it but if u cruise 55 slow on the highways n 25 slow on the streets u should be just fine. are the kicks on ur feet cleAN? do u run? lol i owuld personally do 19"s with the GS car is just to thick for 17" look like a lil fat boy wit size 5 feeT -=X but GS is just a crusin sedan, but the supra is more for the sport i guess? 19" deep~!!
LOL, I like the lil fatboy with size 5 feet analogy

Quick Reply: NYC driver, wants rims. POLL WHAT SIZE