Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

So it is finally time for a BBK for the GS, advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 11:00 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So it is finally time for a BBK for the GS, advice needed

Okay so i'm ready to buy some brakes for the GS, I had a very bad experience with catastrophic brake fade not too long ago.

I have 19' Iforged that I ordered with StopTEch 355mm clearance, so I knwo that those will fit.

I really wanted to find some brakes that were used but it doesnt look like that is gonna happen.

So I am left with new as my only option, I can get Rotora or Stoptech locally, I am assuming that the Rotora will fit since the stoptech will.
Rotora and Stoptech is priced as follows 13" $2000 and 14" $2500
Both 13" brakes are 4 piston on the 14" the rotora are 6 piston, personally I dont think that really is gonna make much differnece since the 6 pistons are smaller than the 4 pistons and that would cause the braking force to be about the same.

Questions
Does anyone know where I can get them cheaper?
Any major differences between stoptech or Rotora (I'm leaning toward Stoptech)

Thanks
Old 05-03-06, 11:14 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Morris,

I purchased my Stoptech from Todd @ TMEngineering and I am sure he can give you a great price. Cant really go wrong with Stoptech or Rotora.
Old 05-03-06, 12:35 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Somehow I thought you have some form of bbk?
With all that power you need parachutes also morris.
Sorry no help here from me
Old 05-03-06, 12:36 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Yea some of us have to learn the hard way
Old 05-03-06, 12:40 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
Morris,

I purchased my Stoptech from Todd @ TMEngineering and I am sure he can give you a great price. Cant really go wrong with Stoptech or Rotora.
Same here, I got mine from Todd and his prices are the best on the StopTechs.

Old 05-03-06, 12:42 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

CAn you tell me if it is better than what I was already quoted locally?
Old 05-03-06, 02:07 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
CAn you tell me if it is better than what I was already quoted locally?
Is the local price installed? If not, they are basically selling to you at or near MSRP (depending on the configuration). You should contact Todd for a price since the market is ever changing. I can confirm, however, that it will be better than MSRP (your local price).

I vote would be for StopTech. I looked at both StopTech and Rotora and went with StopTech (not based on price). No offense to Rotora owners as they made their decision and are happy with their setup. As for fitment, unless you get the 4/4 set up like on LXOGOOD and bluelex's cars (to get the 14" rotors), the 6-pot setup might be too big for your wheels. It is hard to say about your wheels but the Rotora 6-pot is pretty big.
Old 05-03-06, 02:26 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Nope thats the price for the brakes then I have to add shipping on that. I will contact TM thanks.

P.S, I just found the 13" rotora for 1670 shipped so I know I can do better now

Thanks.
Old 05-03-06, 04:22 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can't believe you are making tons of power and haven't upgrade the brakes yet...
Hope you find a good price...
Old 05-03-06, 04:46 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

morris go for the rotora 6/4 setup
Old 05-03-06, 06:31 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

sure send me a check, I take paypal
Old 05-03-06, 08:06 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Morris I would suggest you get the stoptech 14 inch kit. I say this cuz the 6 pot from rotora is pretty big and might not fit your front wheels. The 13 inch kit from rotora is nice but for a little more you can get the 4 pot 14inch kit from stoptech, now if you were looking for a complete set up than break the bank when the time comes and get the rotora 6/4 kit, great kit for a very good value. The custom kit that Ken,dallasgs4 and I have are not offered by rotora anymore cuz they really want to push their 6/4 kit and for good reason. I think I remember the 6/4 kit going for something 4300.00 or so. But for a 14inch front only kit I think stoptech has the best bang for the buck, too bad they never eneded up doing a rear kit. Even tho the 13 inch 4 pot kit from rotora is a great set up and is fairly priced at 1450.00 from carson toyota.

Last edited by bluelex; 05-03-06 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-03-06, 08:23 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Wow that is a deal, I have alwasy leaned toward the 14 inch stoptech and still am, I just wanted to get as much feedback as I could before I finally moved forward. I should hopefully have the funds in hand next week so I'll be doing it soon

Thanks
Old 05-04-06, 10:32 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Morris,

Sorry to hear about your catastrophic brake fade. I recently experienced this in my friend's CooperWorks Mini Cooper S (was racing an Evo)... I was in no danger of crashing, but it was scary. When I finally got the car stopped the front brakes were literally smoking! Cars with big power need big brakes...

I would definitely recommend the 355mm StopTech kit. The StopTech crew are true enthusiasts and very passionate about what they do. Don't get caught up in the number of pistons, etc. Believe me, the 4-pot 355mm StopTech kit is all you'll need for this car. The ST guys have done a terrific job of optimizing the balance of this system; mine has saved my **** on more than one occasion.

Also, the StopTech crew is involved with Team Lexus, so they probably know Lexus cars better than any other brake manufacturer. They have the experience, the knowledge, and racing wins to back it up! Making a big brake kit requires tons of R&D, and the ST guys are out at the track every weekend doing just that. Talk to Steve Ruiz at StopTech sometime if you have questions... this guy has been in the brake business for 20 years, he has probably forgotten more brake info than some brake guys ever learned... truly a professional outfit!

I would talk to Todd @ TM Engineering about a kit. He is the local Lexus genius and is tight with StopTech. If you want to talk more about my experience with StopTech, please e-mail me at the office: bhale@zonewheels.com

By the way, my friend with the Mini Cooper S is ordering the StopTech big brake kit. He looks forward to tracking the car with the bigger brakes! StopTech all the way...

-Bob
Attached Thumbnails So it is finally time for a BBK for the GS, advice needed-stoptech.jpg