Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

20x10 wheel + 295 rear tire= will it fit on the GS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-06, 08:57 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I just went out and measured the 295/30-20 PX4s I picked-up for my brother...
they are indeed about 11.7" wide overall (they aren't mounted yet).

The 20x10" wheel is really 11" wide edge-to-edge, so you'll have about .350" (about 9mm)
of sidewall overhang on either side (give or take).

This effectively puts your 20x10 +43 offset in the +34 range, not a slam-dunk, but very do-able with fender mods.
Sounds like you're willing to perform mods, so I say go for it!

I love the guys that say "I want to go super-wide / aggressive / like all the cool VIP cars, can I do this set-up with no mods?"
No.

It's just a car. Modify everything!
Old 05-25-06, 11:35 AM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I just went out and measured the 295/30-20 PX4s I picked-up for my brother...
they are indeed about 11.7" wide overall (they aren't mounted yet).

The 20x10" wheel is really 11" wide edge-to-edge, so you'll have about .350" (about 9mm)
of sidewall overhang on either side (give or take).

This effectively puts your 20x10 +43 offset in the +34 range, not a slam-dunk, but very do-able with fender mods.
Sounds like you're willing to perform mods, so I say go for it!

I love the guys that say "I want to go super-wide / aggressive / like all the cool VIP cars, can I do this set-up with no mods?"
No.

It's just a car. Modify everything!
Sweet thanks for your help, and everyone elses. I went ahead and bought the proxes 4s based on CL members and TOYO's info.

My goal of this was never to have a "VIP" look, nor was I after the fattest tire look. It was just about the money to be honest. I upgraded to chome on my wheels which cost me 300 US more so I needed to save some money somewhere, and the proxes 4 were 300 CAD cheaper than the T1-Rs and the 4's had better user reviews. If the T1-R's were cheaper int he 285 I would have ought them instead. So if I have to shave a few fenders to make it work that's easy enough for me as I am skilled in modding, I might heat roll the fenders out instead or do both I'm not sure yet.

But I must say the look of a 295 rear will be bad *** imo. And I forgot to mention I have 3.76 gears so the bigger wheels should offset the issues with going larger wheels tires too.

Sometimes you need to think out of the box and I thank you SoCalSC4 for your encouragement as I venture into undescovered country!
Old 05-25-06, 01:32 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Slight correction Bud.

I have a 20 x 11 rim and a 295/25-20 tire. LIp's are shaved ALL THE WAY off which gives more clearance than rolling fenders. I still have room to spare and no increased camber required to clear and absolutely no rubbing at any ride height.

The 295/25 is actually still very close to stock diameter, so clearance is a lot better.
My bad; I thought I had seen where you had gone with a 305... Nice pic of the wheel and tire BTW!
Old 05-25-06, 03:43 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywood
Sweet thanks for your help, and everyone elses. I went ahead and bought the proxes 4s based on CL members and TOYO's info.

My goal of this was never to have a "VIP" look, nor was I after the fattest tire look. It was just about the money to be honest. I upgraded to chome on my wheels which cost me 300 US more so I needed to save some money somewhere, and the proxes 4 were 300 CAD cheaper than the T1-Rs and the 4's had better user reviews. If the T1-R's were cheaper int he 285 I would have ought them instead. So if I have to shave a few fenders to make it work that's easy enough for me as I am skilled in modding, I might heat roll the fenders out instead or do both I'm not sure yet.

But I must say the look of a 295 rear will be bad *** imo. And I forgot to mention I have 3.76 gears so the bigger wheels should offset the issues with going larger wheels tires too.

Sometimes you need to think out of the box and I thank you SoCalSC4 for your encouragement as I venture into undescovered country!

Ahh Another pacesetter (not follower). Sounds like you are relatively safe with "making" this fit. I still strongly suggest you shave instead of roll. Cracking the paint trying to roll it is not a fun outcome.

Show us some pics when it's all done. You're right 295's are a lot of meat no matter what the rim width, expecially when people see your car from behind.

Old 05-25-06, 03:45 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by FutureGS400
My bad; I thought I had seen where you had gone with a 305... Nice pic of the wheel and tire BTW!
No worries. If Michelin only offered 305 in 20", I'd switch over in a heartbeat !

Yeah I like the angle of that shot too.
Old 05-25-06, 05:53 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Ahh Another pacesetter (not follower). Sounds like you are relatively safe with "making" this fit. I still strongly suggest you shave instead of roll. Cracking the paint trying to roll it is not a fun outcome.

Show us some pics when it's all done. You're right 295's are a lot of meat no matter what the rim width, expecially when people see your car from behind.

Thanks man.It looks like I may have to make some believers as almost everyone seemed against my attempt, but between the Toyo technical sheet data, talking to toyo tech reps , and Socal's experience and actual measuring I think I'm pretty safe to mod the car to fit this tire specifically. I dont expect it to bulge much either.

I have a plan now, it's going to be shaven and maybe pulled out a tad. The place I ordered the tires off said it will be 10-14 days to deliver so we are going have to wait. I will definately take pictures. My car is not really picture worthy till it has wheels on it so it will give me a chance to get some pics up on my ID finally.

My tires will be fitting on a set of these.

Old 05-25-06, 09:54 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It looks like I may have to make some believers as almost everyone seemed against my attempt, but between the Toyo technical sheet data, talking to toyo tech reps , and Socal's experience and actual measuring I think I'm pretty safe to mod the car to fit this tire specifically.
Not normally recommended and impossible are two different things. I don't think anyone said it can't be done. Where there's a will (and $ and acceptance of possible risks), there's a way.
Old 05-25-06, 11:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm..... pull on the fenders? you planning to repaint them? i really wonder if the paint will crack

taht's the reason why i just shaved my fenders that's all
Old 05-26-06, 06:51 AM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
umm..... pull on the fenders? you planning to repaint them? i really wonder if the paint will crack

taht's the reason why i just shaved my fenders that's all
Pulling on the fender is not that bad at all, rolling is worse. I have the tools. I did say I was going to shave the fenders, but if it's too close I will pull them too. It will be fine.

I rolled the fenders in my 240 no chips/cracks at all.
Old 05-26-06, 07:20 AM
punch10
Driver

Pulling on the fender is not that bad at all, rolling is worse. I have the tools. I did say I was going to shave the fenders, but if it's too close I will pull them too. It will be fine.

I rolled the fenders in my 240 no chips/cracks at all.
IMO pulling is worse to get it right, rolling is a piece of cake...
Old 05-26-06, 09:04 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Pulling is a pain... but it is possible (if you repaint the quarter panel)

Rolling is a pain on the GS, the square holes in the rear arch can cause the quarter panel to distort.
I'd cut or shave the rear panel instead to the quarter doesn't warp. Ask me how I know this!

Here's a cut & stretched quarter... they are only stretched about 4-5mm.
The JZS 161 (GS) has the inner fender welded to the quarter panel, not an easy job.

{Car is getting painted next week }
Attached Thumbnails 20x10 wheel + 295 rear tire= will it fit on the GS?-gsarch.jpg  

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 05-26-06 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-26-06, 10:30 AM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a post in the tire section but I don't think its getting enough GS owner exposure, and its more of a tire comparison this is more of a fitment question.

I'm looking at trying to fit Toyo Proxes 4 - 295/30ZR20 in the rear.

Now will the 295 fit with the 20x10 +43 offset, 1.5" lowered in the rear on the GS430.... I have researched other posts that say a 295 will fit on a 10" rim, Toyo says the 295 will fit on a 10 rim as well.

If it wont fit, how much modifications will it take to fit?

WHOAH! hold on a second there... 295 is ok, but maybe in a 25 series... that 30 series is VERY questionable.... TRUST ME!!!
Old 05-26-06, 10:33 AM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

No worries. If Michelin only offered 305 in 20", I'd switch over in a heartbeat !

Yeah I like the angle of that shot too.
Actually, the Michelin tires are usually oversized so if you actually put (ie) continental 305 next to michelin 295, they're about the same width... You have to remember that the width of the tire is measured from bead to bead and not "edge to edge".
Old 05-26-06, 11:29 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by Eternity3G
Actually, the Michelin tires are usually oversized so if you actually put (ie) continental 305 next to michelin 295, they're about the same width... You have to remember that the width of the tire is measured from bead to bead and not "edge to edge".

Yes you are absolutely right. That is a very good point. This is why I went with the Michelin 295 instead of the Conti. The Michelin also has WAY better traction and all around performance than the Conti, so I know I am not losing anything.

I didn't go into that detail, but since you brought it up, understand I have YEARS of experience fitting the 2GS. We have spaced out rims with spacers 5mm at a time until they rub, then we shave the lip until it clears, then we bounce the car and ride up on a driveway curb to compress the wheel and we put clay on the tire and bounce it, to see how much clearance we have left or what part of the fender to trim. Then we push it out more if we can.

Sounds like you have a lot of experience yourself and I respect that. Speaking on behalf of SoCalSC4, he formerly worked at HRE and is always cutting edge when it comes to taking tire / rim clearances to the max. He is where the offset recommendations from HRE came from. Maybe you know that, but just in case others don't. Bob is too modest, so I will prop him.

Both SocalSC4 and I have real world experience pushing this envelope. That's not just my car, but through testing on several other of my local members cars, like Rominl, Neo, etc. who helped pioneer shaving fenders and pushing clearances on the 2GS starting about 6 years ago.

A lot of people posting here I'm sure are very experienced from the past, working on their Honda, or whatever, and are giving expert "OPINIONS" on shaving/rolling. SocalSC4 and myself have actually tested these options in the real world on a 2GS. Most posters are giving opinions, but have not tested their knowledge through actual modding on a 2GS. This is the value added experience of really working on the 2GS that we are providing here to our 2GS bretheren.

I can see your knowledge is there, from where and how I obviously don't know, but like I said I do respect that. But I just wanted to show my credentials as well as SoCalSC4's. We have worked together in the past to pioneer maximum wheel fitments and obviously are both posting here to contribute what we can.

People like Hollywood who are also pushing the envelope are contributing to that knowledge database, by adding their own ideas / experiences to what we already know. I think everyone's opinions on whether Hollywood will clear or where he will see problems has been pretty well discussed now. We can continue to give opinions, but it won't add much more value to figuring this out. The conclusion can now ONLY be made by Hollywood going for it.

Where no man has gone before. God Speed Hollywood !

General comments (not pointing back to anyone's previous posts): As far as rolling fenders, you CANNOT get that last drop of clearance by rolling lips. The material is double wall thickness sheetmetal, so you will lose some clearance, because that double thickness material folded over, still takes up some space.

Secondly, pulling fenders with a rolled lip is counter-productive. Now you would have double thickness metal folded over, making the fender edge almost twice as strong. So the option to pull out the fender after rolling doesn't make sense.

The photo below is of my inner fender well where the lip is 100% shaved off. The shot taken is right after all the bare metal surfaces have been primered. After this came a coat of body color and clear and then spraying undercoating in the wheel well, up to about 1 inch away from the lip edge.

This gives you max clearance with barely 1/4 inch thickness between the inside of the wheel well surface and the outside of the fender body.

When it comes modding the lip for clearance without changing the outside appearance of the fender, this clearance is as good as it gets folks.

I still have plenty of clearance with the Michelin 295/25-20, so when I say I might have room for a 305, I mean a Michelin 305, whos tread width is much wider than say the same "reported" size in another brand of tire, such as a Pirelli P Zero Nero.

Obviously custom wheel offsets are key to making this fit. You must order custom wheel offsets to get the clearance I am talking about. This will never fit with an off-the-shelf rim size/offset.

I still have roughly 1/2 inch clearance on the inside of the wheel well, so if I go 305, I am going to need some offset to go towards the inside, not just to the outside toward the lip.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 05-26-06 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-26-06, 12:18 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Yes you are absolutely right. That is a very good point. This is why I went with the Michelin 295 instead of the Conti. The Michelin also has WAY better traction and all around performance than the Conti, so I know I am not losing anything.
I totally agree

I didn't go into that detail, but since you brought it up, understand I have YEARS of experience fitting the 2GS. We have spaced out rims with spacers 5mm at a time until they rub, then we shave the lip until it clears, then we bounce the car and ride up on a driveway curb to compress the wheel and we put clay on the tire and bounce it, to see how much clearance we have left or what part of the fender to trim. Then we push it out more if we can.
I do exactly the same thing and it sounds as you are very knowledgable in fitments as well...

Sounds like you have a lot of experience yourself and I respect that. Speaking on behalf of SoCalSC4, he formerly worked at HRE and is always cutting edge when it comes to taking tire / rim clearances to the max. He is where the offset recommendations from HRE came from. Maybe you know that, but just in case others don't. Bob is too modest, so I will prop him.

Both SocalSC4 and I have real world experience pushing this envelope. That's not just my car, but through testing of several other of my local members like Rominl, Neo, etc. who helped pioneer shaving fenders and pushing clearances on the 2GS starting about 6 years ago.
I've known Bob for years as well and he is VERY knowledgeable. I too give him much credit. (You can ask Bob about my background) I've met and spoken to Chris and he seem to know quite a bit as well...

A lot of people posting here I'm sure are very experienced from the past, working on their Honda, or whatever, and are giving expert "OPINIONS" on shaving/rolling. SocalSC4 and myself have actually tested these options in the real world on a 2GS. Most posters are giving opinions, but have not tested their knowledge through actual modding on a 2GS. This is the value added experience of really working on the 2GS that we are providing here to our 2GS bretheren.

I can see your knowledge is there, from where and how I obviously don't know, but like I said I do respect that. But I just wanted to show my credentials as well as SoCalSC4's. We have worked together in the past to pioneer maximum wheel fitments and obviously are both posting here to contribute what we can.
I'm in the same boat with you and SoCalSC4 in terms of "experimenting"

People like Hollywood who are also pushing the envelope are contributing to the knowledge database, by adding their own ideas / experiences to what we already know. I think everyone's opinions on whether Hollywood will clear or where he will see problems has been pretty well discussed now. We can continue to give opinions, but it won't add much more value to figuring this out. The conclusion can now ONLY be made by Hollywood going for it.

Where no man has gone before. God Speed Hollywood !
I agree and was just trying to save Hollywood some headaches seeing that some of the guys on the forums still don't fully understand tire fitments (obviously not you) and I figured I'd just give my opinion. I do have a fair amount of hands on experiment experience (you can ask Bob) and I didn't say not to do it, but just epressed my opinions so that he will fully understand how extensive of a project he is venturing toward.

General comments (not pointing back to anyone's previous posts): As far as rolling fenders, you CANNOT get that last drop of clearance by rolling lips. The material is double wall thickness sheetmetal, so you will lose some clearance, because that double thickness material folded over still takes up some space.

Secondly, pulling fenders with a rolled lip is counter-productive. Now you would have double thickness metal folded over, making the fender edge almost twice as strong. So the option to pull out the fender after rolling doesn't make sense.

The photo below is of my inner fender well where the lip is 100% shaved off. The shot taken is right after all the bare metal surfaces have been primered. After this came a coat of body color and clear and then spraying undercoating in the wheel well up to about 1 inch away from the lip edge.

This gives you max clearance with barely 1/4 inch between the inside of the fender surface and the outside of the fender body.

With no modding to the outside appearance of the fender, this clearance is as good as it gets folks.

I still have plenty of clearance with the Michelin 295/25-20, so when I say I might have room for a 305, I mean a Michelin 305, whos tread width is much wider than say the same "reported" size in another brand of tire, such as a Pirelli P Zero Nero. Obviously custom wheel offsets are key to making this fit. You must order custom wheel offsets, this will never fit with an off-the-shelf rim size/offset. I still have roughly 1/2 inch clearance on the inside fender, so if I go 305, I am going to offset some towards the inside, not just to the outside toward the lip.

[IMG] https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...l_well_063.jpg [/IMG]
RMMGS4, I have read many of your posts and IMO, you are one of the more knowledgable CL members and I respect your opinions. I don't disagree with you one bit, and I hope you don't think I am one of those guys that always has to get his opinions in. If I am not comfortable with a suggestion, I usually don't state it at all, but if I see a thread that I can possibly give some input into, that might help out or save someone from making a mistake, I will express my opinions. Of course we are never ALWAYS right as there are many circumstances and variable involved in wheel fitments, (ie caster, camber, toe, vehicle height, blah blah etc...) and we may not know the complete story, but IMO, the more input the better...

Last edited by Eternity3G; 05-26-06 at 12:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 20x10 wheel + 295 rear tire= will it fit on the GS?