Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

20x10 wheel + 295 rear tire= will it fit on the GS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-06, 12:20 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Pulling is a pain... but it is possible (if you repaint the quarter panel)

Rolling is a pain on the GS, the square holes in the rear arch can cause the quarter panel to distort.
I'd cut or shave the rear panel instead to the quarter doesn't warp. Ask me how I know this!

Here's a cut & stretched quarter... they are only stretched about 4-5mm.
The JZS 161 (GS) has the inner fender welded to the quarter panel, not an easy job.

{Car is getting painted next week }
Jezuz Bob! did you do that yourself? Don't tell me that was one of your "weekend projects"! Can't wait to see it w/ the paint!
Old 05-26-06, 12:51 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Eternity3G
Jezuz Bob! did you do that yourself? Don't tell me that was one of your "weekend projects"! Can't wait to see it w/ the paint!
Nah, props go to my man Joe at Backyard Creations for that one.

The front fenders are done, too. These are the old 20x9.5 +40, they look sort of lost now!

We did some additional test-fitting with spacers, the new wheels will be 20x9.5 +32
with the new Toyo Proxes 4 255/30-20s. (this is the same relative to the fender as 9 +26 or 8.5 +20)

I had to PhotoShop out one design element of the fender; I don't want it to be 'seen' yet.
Attached Thumbnails 20x10 wheel + 295 rear tire= will it fit on the GS?-gssideblanksm.jpg  
Old 05-26-06, 01:28 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Nah, props go to my man Joe at Backyard Creations for that one.

The front fenders are done, too. These are the old 20x9.5 +40, they look sort of lost now!

We did some additional test-fitting with spacers, the new wheels will be 20x9.5 +32
with the new Toyo Proxes 4 255/30-20s. (this is the same relative to the fender as 9 +26 or 8.5 +20)

I had to PhotoShop out one design element of the fender; I don't want it to be 'seen' yet.
Nice... you gotta bring it over show me when you're done... and Uh-oh... did you put in fender cut outs? freakin bob.. always and forever innovative....
Old 05-26-06, 01:29 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RMMGS4, I have read many of your posts and IMO, you are one of the more knowledgable CL members and I respect your opinions. I don't disagree with you one bit, and I hope you don't think I am one of those guys that always has to get his opinions in. If I am not comfortable with a suggestion, I usually don't state it at all, but if I see a thread that I can possibly give some input into, that might help out or save someone from making a mistake, I will express my opinions. Of course we are never ALWAYS right as there are many circumstances and variable involved in wheel fitments, (ie caster, camber, toe, vehicle height, blah blah etc...) and we may not know the complete story, but IMO, the more input the better...

Thanks,
from your comments, I sensed that you were not just any other poster or opinion and I'm not surprised you know Bob.

Even with the other knowledgeable / senior members here, we don't always agree on some points. Sometimes we publicly debate those points, other times we take it offline, other times we just have to agree to dis-agree, but we do try to maintain respect..

I surely don't always have the bandwidth to take some threads to the next technical level of discussion on these forums. Which is why I don't always drill into discussions like I did here, unless I think the thread has some stimulating discussion with some pleasurable participants as yourself.
Old 05-26-06, 02:27 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

and Uh-oh... did you put in fender cut outs? freakin bob.. always and forever innovative....
No comment...
Old 05-26-06, 05:52 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

No comment...
,,,, Bob - Bob - Bob.... keeping me in the dark....
Old 05-26-06, 08:03 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess to say again I dont think what I will be doing will end up being too adventurous. I am not going into this blindly. I have researched alot and got real life GS specific info from RMM and SoCal.

The SEC on the 285 tr1 is 11.4, the SEC of the proxes 4 295 is 11.7, all equal thats only a .3 of an inch divided by 2, so 0.15 of an inch on each side. We already know the 285 TR1 fits with that offset. Now add what will be in the bulge of running a 295 on a 10" wheel. So I expect Socal's estimate of ".350" (about 9mm) of sidewall overhang on either side (give or take)" to be pretty accurate.

Also the proxes 4 295 has a nice load index raiting of 101, so I should be able to have room with messing with the tire pressure to help get the right fitment, on top of the shaving of the fenders.

But it's like what people are saying, and this is a good thread which really points this out several times is the detail of fitment will be tire brand/model specific. I am looking forward to tackle this and report to CL with pictures as my 240 had many, many absticles in modding yet my lexus has been pretty simple so far so I need some sort of a challenge.
Old 05-26-06, 11:19 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hollywood
I guess to say again I dont think what I will be doing will end up being too adventurous. I am not going into this blindly. I have researched alot and got real life GS specific info from RMM and SoCal.

The SEC on the 285 tr1 is 11.4, the SEC of the proxes 4 295 is 11.7, all equal thats only a .3 of an inch divided by 2, so 0.15 of an inch on each side. We already know the 285 TR1 fits with that offset. Now add what will be in the bulge of running a 295 on a 10" wheel. So I expect Socal's estimate of ".350" (about 9mm) of sidewall overhang on either side (give or take)" to be pretty accurate.

Also the proxes 4 295 has a nice load index raiting of 101, so I should be able to have room with messing with the tire pressure to help get the right fitment, on top of the shaving of the fenders.

But it's like what people are saying, and this is a good thread which really points this out several times is the detail of fitment will be tire brand/model specific. I am looking forward to tackle this and report to CL with pictures as my 240 had many, many absticles in modding yet my lexus has been pretty simple so far so I need some sort of a challenge.
Let's not lose track of what issues I am trying to address here. Is no one else catching what I am saying? Double check my "quote" from before. That's cool and all that you want to put on 295's, but my issue wasn't the 295... keep in mind the the profile of the tire is what I am worried about. RMM is using a 295/25-20 from what I remember. You were stating that you wanted to use a 295/30-20. BIG difference....

26.97" = Overall diameter of a 295/30-20
25.81" = Overall diameter of a 295/25-20
Difference of 1.16" overall compared to RMM's tires
26.49" = Overall diameter of a 275/30-20 (what most ppl run)

So it will raise the car 0.58" higher as well as stick up 0.58" up into the fender. That extra .58" combined with the superwide 295 is what I'm worried about!

Even a 285/30-20 (what I'm running) = 26.73" which is already VERY STRONG and still .24" shorter than what you are trying... and from my understanding, a 3GS has more fender room than the 2GS...

Once again... I am more concerned of the height of a 295/30 vs 295/25... Rember, profile is proportional to width, so the 295/30 is still .5" taller than the "recommended" size.

I am not saying it won't work. BUT, it just may be a little MORE adventurous than you think.

RMM / Socal... Any thoughts or am I alone on this one?

WHOAH! hold on a second there... 295 is ok, but maybe in a 25 series... that 30 series is VERY questionable.... TRUST ME!!!

Last edited by Eternity3G; 05-26-06 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-27-06, 02:21 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hollywood, any particular reason why you wnat to run a wheel setup that tall? I understand the 295, but why not go with the 295/25 like RMMGS4 did?
Old 05-27-06, 10:21 AM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Let's not lose track of what issues I am trying to address here. Is no one else catching what I am saying? Double check my "quote" from before. That's cool and all that you want to put on 295's, but my issue wasn't the 295... keep in mind the the profile of the tire is what I am worried about. RMM is using a 295/25-20 from what I remember. You were stating that you wanted to use a 295/30-20. BIG difference....

26.97" = Overall diameter of a 295/30-20
25.81" = Overall diameter of a 295/25-20
Difference of 1.16" overall compared to RMM's tires

So it will raise the car 0.58" higher as well as stick up 0.58" up into the fender. That extra .58" combined with the superwide 295 is what I'm worried about!

Even a 285/30-20 (what I'm running) = 26.73" which is already VERY STRONG and still .24" shorter than what you are trying... and from my understanding, a 3GS has more fender room than the 2GS...

Once again... I am more concerned of the height of a 295/30 vs 295/25... Rember, profile is proportional to width, so the 295/30 is still .5" taller than the "recommended" size.

I am not saying it won't work. BUT, it just may be a little MORE adventurous than you think.

RMM / Socal... Any thoughts or am I alone on this one?
Your numbers are inaccurate.

26.9 = Overall diameter of a 295/30-20
26" = Overall diameter of a 295/25-20
26.8" = Overall diameter of a 245/35-20
26.8" = Overall diameter of a 285/30-20 (Toyo T1r GS400/430 setup)

Difference of 0.9" overall compared to RMM's tires, and a difference of 0.1" from the front 245's, and a difference of 0.1" over what people use on the T1r setup on their 98-05 GS's.

Here is the data on the front.

Toyo Proxes 4 245/35ZR20**
LI-95W
SW-BW
UTQG-300AAA
1/32"- 10
O.D.-26.8
SEC- 9.6
SLR-12.6
RV- 482
Rim Widths 8.5 8.0-9.5

Originally Posted by Neo
Hollywood, any particular reason why you wnat to run a wheel setup that tall? I understand the 295, but why not go with the 295/25 like RMMGS4 did?
Neo they did not offer the 295/25 at the store and since the overal diameter of the 295/25 was 26" and the 245/35 is 26.8 for the front and the rear 295/30 at 26.9 was only 0.1" taller it looked like a more optimal setup. The 295/25 would have been a negative 0.9" difference on the rear. And I did not want to run a 255/30 in the front.
Old 05-27-06, 11:24 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey guys,
I just glanced at your two posts cuz I'm in a hurry to leave right now. Hopefully I got both your points. Also I will explain a little more than I need , just so that other readers don't get lost, I will spell some things out a lil more than you guy s need to know.

The difference between your two numbers 0.9 vs. 1.16 is 0.26. On top of that, let's divide by two since we only care about how much closer a 30 series tire will be compared a 25 series.

So doing the math we have 0.1255, essentialy 1/8 of an inch difference between your two numbers. Not enough to squabble over, though I'm not saying you guys are squabbling.

OK back to Eternity3G's point. He is cautioning that the 30 series is "approximately" 1 inch taller than my set up. Again divide by two, means we have 1/2 inch closer to the fender lip than my set up.

Hollywood, sounds like you are factoring in this unknown variable. This is the area of contention. We know my set up will clear and we are mathematically estimating if the taller sidewall will still clear.

1. Now since I have an 11" vs your 10" rim, your set up will not stretch as much as my tire. This means the sidewall profile will be more squared off than mine, so you will be closer to the lip, with everything else being equal and what your offset is.

2. The brand /model tire you choose will vary in sidewall countour. I am relying on SoCalSC4's product knowledge to tell me how much #1 will factor into this equation.

3. Back to the taller tire dimesion factor. Doing a visual on my tire/fender clearance, I am guestimating a 30 series would still clear, but it will definitely be tight.

I could physically test this all out if I had a local member with a 295/30-20 tire that we could test fit, we would know more than we do now. Of course the tire brand would have to have a similar sidewall / tread width profile as the tire you are considering.

Hmmm What local has that size that I could test?

Last edited by RMMGS4; 05-27-06 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-27-06, 04:20 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Hollywood...

You win.. I'm not trying to argue with you. I was only tring to help by telling you not to brush off the issue as a simple task. I am simply giving you my opinion through my years of trial and error. Notice I never said that it wouldn't work but it's not as simple of a project as you may think. My numbers ARE accurate. I'm not rounding off figures as many tire catalogs are doing, but I am actually calculating exact specs based on numbers provided through the tire sizes. Granted every manufacturer and model may vary slightly. I am in the tire business if that gives me any credibility with you. Good luck with your project and if you are willing to accept my opinions in the future, don't hesitate to ask...

--Dave--
Old 05-27-06, 04:24 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
1. Now since I have an 11" vs your 10" rim, your set up will not stretch as much as my tire. This means the sidewall profile will be more squared off than mine, so you will be closer to the lip, with everything else being equal and what your offset is.

2. The brand /model tire you choose will vary in sidewall countour. I am relying on SoCalSC4's product knowledge to tell me how much #1 will factor into this equation.
2 very valid points to consider... forgot to mention that... good catch RMM.
Old 05-27-06, 06:05 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Hollywood...

You win.. I'm not trying to argue with you. I was only tring to help by telling you not to brush off the issue as a simple task. I am simply giving you my opinion through my years of trial and error. Notice I never said that it wouldn't work but it's not as simple of a project as you may think. My numbers ARE accurate. I'm not rounding off figures as many tire catalogs are doing, but I am actually calculating exact specs based on numbers provided through the tire sizes. Granted every manufacturer and model may vary slightly. I am in the tire business if that gives me any credibility with you. Good luck with your project and if you are willing to accept my opinions in the future, don't hesitate to ask...

--Dave--
I never thought we were really arguing. But help me understand how can your numbers be more accurate than mine? My numbers are comming right from Toyo's website specific to the proxes 4 and TR1's.

2 very valid points to consider... forgot to mention that... good catch RMM.
That was already covered by my statement earlier. I was already guessing the extra because of bulge that is undetermined. When I talked to the Toyo rep he thought it was not going to be anything substantial.

Originally Posted by Hollywood
Now add what will be in the bulge of running a 295 on a 10" wheel. So I expect Socal's estimate of ".350" (about 9mm) of sidewall overhang on either side (give or take)" to be pretty accurate.
Old 05-27-06, 09:58 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you should go for it Hollywood. When it comes to trying something different, there are always risks. Everyone here has voiced their opinions and it sounds like you have taken all the potential pitfalls into consideration. It may or may not be as straightforward as you expect but once you commit, I would assume you will do what it takes to get it to work. If it ends up not beig such a great idea, we can chalk it up to experience and someone else can also learn from it. If it works, then great for you.

We can all only do what we are comfortable with. We can all talk about numbers until we are blue in the face but unless we have a car with the exact setup as you, with the tires and rims that you have, it will all be hypothetical, no matter how good the guess/calculation is. Everyone has tried to help and now it is down to you to decide yay or nay.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: 20x10 wheel + 295 rear tire= will it fit on the GS?