Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

19" width and offset for GS3

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-06, 01:59 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's the old 20x10.5 +40 with Yokohama AVS Sport and three Homies in the car.

This tucked, and cleared the shaved fender by about 2mm.

It's all about the tire choice. The Yokohamas were straight up with the wheel lip. The new Falken tires wouldn't even be anywhere this close to the fender.

It's amazing what you can get away with with tire stretching! (again, these are NOT stretched)

Old 07-12-06, 02:22 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
How about 20x11.5 +42 with 295/25-20... Way ahead of you! (being machined this week)
I think I can make the 11s work w/ stock fenders, I have enough widebody project here at work to worry about

Hey Bob, is you car going to be ready for the Aerotech meet?
Old 07-12-06, 02:53 PM
treimche
Driver

In that pic you posted in post #15, those tires still have a little bit of a stretched look to them. Is it possible to do a 295 or 305 to get rid of that stretched look, but still fit w/out pulling the fenders?
Old 07-12-06, 02:55 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by V8_Aristo
I think I can make the 11s work w/ stock fenders, I have enough widebody project here at work to worry about

Hey Bob, is you car going to be ready for the Aerotech meet?
Widebody project... what car? Just curious! That got my interest...

BTW, 11s will definitely work- there is so much room on the 2GS you can run 11.5 with the stock (cut) fenders without any issues.

Won't make the meet, unfortunately. I should have the car, but I won't have the new wheels ready in time. I don't want the car seen on the 'old' wheels... you know how it is. After all this work I want to show a completely new package.
The painter called me today- the car is mostly back together. I saw it two weeks ago, right after it was painted. We changed the color a little and did the darker tones on the top portion of the car. It's pretty stunning.
I've never really heard him 'gush' about a car, but he said "I think you're really going to like how your car came out..."
Old 07-12-06, 03:00 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by treimche
In that pic you posted in post #15, those tires still have a little bit of a stretched look to them. Is it possible to do a 295 or 305 to get rid of that stretched look, but still fit w/out pulling the fenders?
Not with the offset in that photo, but 295/25-20 and 305/25-20 on 20x11 have been done on the GS.
Minor mods (trim the fender lip) are necessary to make them work with 20x11 +47 to +50.
Old 07-12-06, 03:20 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Widebody project... what car? Just curious! That got my interest...

BTW, 11s will definitely work- there is so much room on the 2GS you can run 11.5 with the stock (cut) fenders without any issues.

Won't make the meet, unfortunately. I should have the car, but I won't have the new wheels ready in time. I don't want the car seen on the 'old' wheels... you know how it is. After all this work I want to show a completely new package.
The painter called me today- the car is mostly back together. I saw it two weeks ago, right after it was painted. We changed the color a little and did the darker tones on the top portion of the car. It's pretty stunning.
I've never really heard him 'gush' about a car, but he said "I think you're really going to like how your car came out..."
That's too bad, looks like this is going to be the biggest socal meet we are going to have this year. Would have been nice to it, but there's always going to be a next time. I'm actually to the point where I should make my car a full on show car, but I love driving it too much to keep it in the garage. And my paint job is still in excellent shape, so I'll just keep it the way it is. I also like to keep the proportion of the wheels the same, so 9.5 and 11 in the back is where I wanna be at.

I work for a company that produces FRP and CF parts. And every year we colaborate with different manufacturers to design and build SEMA demo cars. It's not a ver big company, but we manage to come out with original designs that will eventually make it to general public. This year I'm building widebody kits for a Dodge Neon SRT4, a Honda Civic Si and a Honda Fit.
Old 07-12-06, 05:14 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Poyet, I'll take this to PM - I want to talk to you about a few SEMA cars/ideas...

As for the AeroTect meet: I might not go because I have a little conflict... my car is sponsored by StarShield! I'd LOVE to go, I just don't want photos of the car circulating around with the old wheels- it's important that the car's new look showcase a new wheel, one that I designed no less! I think our fellow CL members will like it (along with other new styles arrivng shortly).

Maybe I'll come up in the NSX... if I don't get chased off by the Lexus owners who don't know me!
Old 07-12-06, 10:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

thanks for the confirmations, bob, that's exactly my point. we shouldn't just say the tires size and say it's fine. when pushing the limit i think it's careful we don't mislead people. for example here tire brand and model play a big big role. so it's important to get the ride tire, then it's no doubt things will work out fine

and yup, exaclty when i get my next tires i probably will try some other brand, give it a bit of stretching, and dump the car a bit more too