Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-06, 09:42 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mort
I have mentioned this before on another thread concerning winter tires, that my dealer ordered me 4 - 16" steel rims with corresponding tires, 225's. He has used this combination on IS 350's last winter and had no ploblem with brake clearance. He is also storing the wheel/tires for me as well as my 18's in the winter.
I'm skeptical, but will gladly investigate! What's the name of your dealer?
Old 07-17-06, 11:39 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by c5mtl
well ....i'm gonna buy a 16inch rim this weekend or next and try that thing out.....what a relief if it works.....think u can get me the specs of his wheel...offset???winter should be fun with some nokian hakka 4 with eco studs...totally outdoing thise clowns with all wheel drive and 4 season tires
LOL!!!!! Let us know for sure! I just can't see how it can work with these huge rotors/brakes up front!

BTW, would you simply disconnect the TPMS or could you actully use them on the winter wheels/tires?
Old 07-18-06, 08:02 AM
mort
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfromance Lexus in St. Catherines Ontario Canada
Old 07-18-06, 08:30 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Perfromance Lexus in St. Catherines Ontario Canada
Thx, do you have a contact email address for them? I'd like to reach them and see if they could forward the info to my local dealership in the states. Any idea what the cost was for all 4 with tires?
Old 07-18-06, 01:23 PM
mort
Lead Lap

Here is the link to their site, http://performance.lexus.ca/dwp/expe...home/index.jsp
Mention my car is the IS350 that was delivered to Belleville Toyota the end of April.

Cost was $1,150 Canadian plus taxes and included free wheel/tire storage at the Belleville dealership.
Old 07-18-06, 06:44 PM
salimmer
Driver School Candidate

Mort;

Did you have to purchase additional tire pressure sensors for your new winter rims and tires? Or did you get the dealer to take the sensors out of your summer tires and rims? Is there a permanent fix to disable the tire pressure sensor when you are using an extra set of tires and rims without sensors? Also what make and model of snow tires are you using?

Thanks

Stuart
Old 07-18-06, 07:38 PM
casey225
Pole Position

I purchased a second set for mine. The service guy told me every time you switch them, there is a risk of damage (maybe just suckering me in), anyway, the car can store 2 sets of pressure sensors in its computer, so when you switch wheels, they just set it to 1 or 2 and don't have to reprogram the S/N #'s every time.
Old 07-18-06, 10:35 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Here is the link to their site, http://performance.lexus.ca/dwp/expe...home/index.jsp
Mention my car is the IS350 that was delivered to Belleville Toyota the end of April.

Cost was $1,150 Canadian plus taxes and included free wheel/tire storage at the Belleville dealership.
Thanks a bunch! I'm emailing them now! Did this include a 2nd set of TPMS or not? Also, is there ANY chance you have any pics of these you could email me or post up? Just to confirm, these were 16 inch steel wheels with WHAT type of tires?
Old 07-18-06, 11:31 PM
c5mtl
Rookie

i so want this to be the case...after looking at my rotors i just ant see how a 16inch wheel is going to fit......and have anything to say about hakka4 studded winters??
Old 07-19-06, 07:28 AM
mort
Lead Lap

I will have to inquire about the tire pressure monitor...it never came up but the dealership must have taken this into consideration with other IS350s last winter. The tires and wheels are in storage at the dealership, so it might be hard to get a photo...will post for sure when mounted but that will not be until sometime late October. This will be my first winter with my IS350...just ordered them early when I got the car and included the price in my lease. The tires are 225/55 snows.
Old 07-19-06, 07:31 AM
mort
Lead Lap

Oh Ya, sorry ES3, confirming they are 16" steel rims
Old 07-19-06, 09:54 AM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Default Wouldn't 16's

just look heinous on an IS...??? Big, big gap? Why not an 18 in an all weather or all terrain?
Old 07-19-06, 11:11 AM
mort
Lead Lap

Actually no more gap than the stock 18s. In deep snow the taller side wall will provide better control. Also, the car always looks bad in winter with salt and other road crap over it, no matter how often it is washed, first trip out and dirty again within minutes...and it is only a few months. My house also looks terrible in the winter compared to summer with landscaping and gardens in top form...winter sucks.
Old 07-19-06, 11:43 AM
yov6cam
Driver

I'm only getting winter tires, I got the wheel protection plan and will probably just replace them if damaged.
Old 07-19-06, 01:30 PM
mort
Lead Lap

How much damage do you need to subject them to before a replacement will be justified? Pitting from salt and sand may not be considered more than usual wear and considering the short sidewall, the wheels are going to be constantly running through abrasive stuff...if anything like the roads in Ontario.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires