Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

need advice about rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-06, 09:19 PM
gs4bkny
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice about rotors

can someone tell me which is better.......cross drilled/slotted rotors or factory stock rotors.....which one of the two will last longer and which one of the two will provide more stopping power.
Old 08-09-06, 07:12 AM
RacerLex
Pole Position

I'm guessing you've got a 2nd generation GS. Search the Suspension and Brakes section of the GS forum, you'll find several posts:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/for...prune=30&f=185

From what I've read, I don't think any brake upgrade actually reduces the stopping distance unless you're talking about consistant stopping distance as your brakes are heating up.

What are you trying to achieve by changing your brakes? Weight, looks, brake fade? You'll find all these answers if you search the forum I linked above. You will probably get more specific responses if you post there.
Old 08-09-06, 09:30 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you want better braking performance without breaking the bank, i've heard AWESOME things about just upgrading your brake lines to stainless steel brake lines. Should be about $110.

as far as cost of ownership is concerned, i don't think cross drilled/slotted rotors can be turned so if they happen to go bad, you'll have to buy another set whereas if your oem rotors warp a little, you can just have them turned aka resurfaced.
Old 08-09-06, 09:00 PM
SSK0771
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When looking for the rotors, it really depends on the brand. I heard DBA Rotors are very very well made and price is pretty good too

DO NOT BUY ROTORS from ROTORS PROS. They are not well made and when I had them on my 350Z, it wrapped in 3 month. I called the ROTOR PROS and left 4 messages and they never returned my call.

As for slotted or x-drilled/slotted, if you want looks, go with x-drilled/slotted but they only thing is that drilled rotors have more likely to crack than just slotted. The main thing is the brand and quality of the rotors. I would NOT recomend rotors that are made in China.
Old 08-17-06, 09:38 AM
brakeguru
Driver School Candidate

DBA rotors are a good brand - one of the few not made in China.

Additionally - the 4000 series is heat treated and has temperature indicating paint to indicate maximum rotor temps. That is really only a bonus on the track though.

They do make the drilled versions - but like most reputable brake compaies they do not pretend drilled rotors are for racing - in fact that is quite the opposite.
Old 08-17-06, 01:58 PM
Blk96Supra
Lead Lap

OEM rotors are always a good choice. LIke everyones saying the cheaper cross drill/slotted rotors due tend to crack over time. From what i hear the slotted rotors work better in stopping power verses the cross drill. But thats what i've read and heard on the Supraforum.