Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Softer, Quieter Tires for GS430

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-06, 04:24 PM
pauldfs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softer, Quieter Tires for GS430

My tires are getting close to needing to be replaced and I want a set that is quieter and softer than the Toyos on it now. I was thinking of going to a tire with a thicker sidewall to help the cause (in addition to correcting my speedometer which is currently showing 75 when I'm actually going 70).

Any suggestions on brand/size. I currently have the stock 17's on the car and I noticed that the LS430 rolls on 225/55R17 size tires. Would this be a good size to achieve a more LS-like ride?

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-11-06, 04:32 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the quiet tire vote on CL often goes to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S or the Pirelli PZero Nero. i have had two sets of the michelins and they are fantastic. they are softer than other high performance tires, but it sounds like you want a quiet smooth ride this time around. the pirellis get great reviews also and are cheaper.
Old 09-11-06, 04:42 PM
pauldfs
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the quick reply! I have heard a lot of good things about the Michelins. Performance isn't too big a priority for me, just as long as they handle well in the rain and still brake well. I'm really looking just to improve the ride.
Old 09-11-06, 04:59 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldfs
Thanks for the quick reply! I have heard a lot of good things about the Michelins. Performance isn't too big a priority for me, just as long as they handle well in the rain and still brake well. I'm really looking just to improve the ride.
yes, i think you will be very happy with the Michelins as we have been. if i remember our old GS430 had the 17" bridgestones. the new GS came with 18" yokohama advans. the michelins blow both of those away in terms of ride quality. supple and quiet, yet still very capable. we can still manage some pretty hard turns without slipping/squealing/etc

p.s. welcome to Club Lexus
Old 09-11-06, 05:02 PM
pauldfs
Driver School Candidate

Would you recommend going to a taller sidewall to help "fix" my speedometer issues as well as provide a softer ride?
Old 09-11-06, 05:49 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if comfort is your main concern, a slightly taller side wall will surely help. I have pirelli pzero neros and they are pretty comfy too. they are pretty quiet too.
Old 09-11-06, 06:49 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pauldfs
Would you recommend going to a taller sidewall to help "fix" my speedometer issues as well as provide a softer ride?
Just make sure the overall diameter of the new tire matches the original stock diameter as close as possible. Speedometer should be accurate. I'm running 19's this way and the speedo is dead on. Not sure how worn your current tires are but almost any new tire will ride smoother than worn out tires. With that said, my wife's RX has stock sized Michelins and they are ultra smooth and quiet, great tires.
Old 09-11-06, 07:00 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

I had the Pilot Sport A/S on my car up until I got my new rims a couple weeks ago & they were great!
You should maybe try a V or W rated tire instead of the Z.
Old 09-11-06, 07:18 PM
pauldfs
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of the feedback. I've also read that the Falken 512s are excellent tires. Has anyone had any experience with those?
Old 09-11-06, 07:40 PM
diamondmit
Driver

Default I have Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S on my BMW 330 and...

the difference between the softer Pirellis and the harder Michelin Pilot Sports, and the Sumitomo HTR-Z-II's is really profound. I don't feel like I've given up much in all around performance but have a much, much quieter and smoother ride from the car. The difference was really pronounced going from the Sumitomo's to the Pirelli's. I was about to purchase the Avon 500's but a friend had the P-Zeros (please note that these are the M&S model) and one ride/drive in his car sold me. They are quite a bit cheaper than the Michelins as well. I've had mine for 10,000 miles or so and am very pleased with the wear. Mileage also increased over the Sumitomo's by about 1.5 mpg.

check out tirerack's tire surveys, tests and reviews to get some additional viewpoints on the options you have.

good luck!
dd
Old 09-11-06, 07:55 PM
will33184
Lead Lap

try the falken st-115

ive used

toyo proxies
nitto 555
yokohoma
hankook ventus k104

ive owned 3 sets of the falken st-115 and theyre very quiet and good all round
Old 09-11-06, 11:37 PM
pauldfs
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I have those Toyos on now and I get a lot of road noise out of them. The ride is descent. The Pirellis seem like a good option, and may fit my needs the best. Has anyone noticed a ride difference between the 16" wheel package and the 17" package? I'm wondering if that's the softer setup.
Old 09-12-06, 05:12 AM
Straight6
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default p zero

i bought pirelli p-zero nero's last year and 13k miles later they're noisy as hell... i regret getting them.. although i read alot of good reviews in tirerack, i would never get them again.. can't wait to wear them out and move on to better tires..
Old 09-12-06, 11:06 AM
skaiyun
Driver

theres a lot of mixed reviews with the Pzeros. Most problems tend to be after 10k miles they start getting noisy. I looked through many wheels and ending picking Michelin Pilot Sport - which worked great. But it gas only been like 2k mi or so. I guess i'll update at the end of the year.
Old 09-12-06, 11:27 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Straight6
i bought pirelli p-zero nero's last year and 13k miles later they're noisy as hell... i regret getting them.. although i read alot of good reviews in tirerack, i would never get them again.. can't wait to wear them out and move on to better tires..
mine are at 11k right now and seem fine so far. I'll let you guys know if they get loud.

Quick Reply: Softer, Quieter Tires for GS430