Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

gorrilla wheel locks - not unique key?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-01 | 08:35 PM
808state
Driver

Question gorrilla wheel locks - not unique key?

this is a two part question :

1) are gorilla wheel locks unique for each product item? reason i'm asking is, i have 2 sets of gorilla wheel locks (same product number for both) and both keys fit each others wheel locks! so i know this answers my question, but i was wondering if by some luck that i bought a set with the same keys/wheel locks. btw, the product registration number must be just to identify the customer and not the wheel lock because both sets have different product registration numbers.

if they aren't unique, sheezz... all a thief has to do is buy the different sizes gorilla wheel locks and invest in a quick jack and he'll make a fortune!

2) is there another product besides gorilla that sells a wheel lock kit with a unique key?

oh yeah, there is a existing thread at:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=wheel+locks

Last edited by 808state; 10-20-01 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-21-01 | 08:28 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Question Unusual!

8 - I've used Gorilla locking lugs before on previous cars & the only way I could get 2 sets to use the same key was to make sure that they both had the same code number - had to order the second set. You're right - the registration number is just used to ID the owner in case of a lost key. I'm afraid that it would be almost impossible to manufacture thousands of sets of lugs with each having a totally unique key pattern - there's gonna be some duplication somewhere. I'm told that this wasn't as much of a problem years ago - they'd just ship different patterns to opposite ends of the country where the likelyhood of duplication was remote. With the advent of the Internet & online sales this technique is obsolete. Don't know what else to tell ya - even McGard has the same situation with the old cloverleaf patterned keys. As Manaray stated on the link U posted, U can always get around them - beat an old 6 point socket over the lug & it's gonna come off!! If they want your wheels, they're more than likely gonna get them eventually. All U can do is make it harder for the casual thief - alarms; parking in well lit/patrolled areas - U probably know the drill!