Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Difference between RWD and FWD wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-06, 05:24 PM
cloudnine
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Difference between RWD and FWD wheels?

What determines if wheels are meant for RWD or FWD cars? As long as the offset is right and the wheel/tire assembly causes no problem with clearance with the brakes, suspension, fenders, etc., does it make any difference what kind of car the wheels go on? I'm asking because my buddy's ES300 has wheels with the paint flaking off, and I'd like to give him a set of stock SC300 wheels that are cluttering up my basement. They're in size 16x6.5", I think - they came with one of my cars, but I've never mounted them. Can anyone tell me?
P.S. To add to the confusion, my 4x2 2001 Tacoma supposedly uses "FWD type" wheels.
Old 11-03-06, 06:42 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The FWD in this instance would be assumed as four wheel drive rather than front wheel drive.

I would consider the Four Wheel Drive (FWD) to be built to a little heavier design to take the stress of off roading and rock climbing. Four wheel drive vehicles have a high and low range transfer case, with the low range placing increased torque and stress on a wheel. All four wheels may simultaneously be driven at one time, but at different speeds.

All Wheel Drive vehicles have a single speed transfer case. They are not designed for high stress off road use, and may use a lighter RWD wheel.

A supercharged two wheel drive; I would understand the need for FWD wheels due to the high torque produced.

Normal Rear Wheel Drive (RWD), since only one or two wheels have drive capability, would not need to be built as durable. It could be a little lighter weight in design.
Old 11-04-06, 11:37 AM
LexFather

SC wheels will fit on an ES 300 but understand the offsets are different. You will experience greater tire rear in the rear wheels as the wheels tuck under the car. The front wheels are almost flat with the fender.

They will fit but in the long run, a costly alternative as you will have to replace rear tires often or rotate tires often.
Old 11-05-06, 09:18 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Tammy
The FWD in this instance would be assumed as four wheel drive rather than front wheel drive.

I would consider the Four Wheel Drive (FWD) to be built to a little heavier design to take the stress of off roading and rock climbing. Four wheel drive vehicles have a high and low range transfer case, with the low range placing increased torque and stress on a wheel. All four wheels may simultaneously be driven at one time, but at different speeds.

All Wheel Drive vehicles have a single speed transfer case. They are not designed for high stress off road use, and may use a lighter RWD wheel.

A supercharged two wheel drive; I would understand the need for FWD wheels due to the high torque produced.

Normal Rear Wheel Drive (RWD), since only one or two wheels have drive capability, would not need to be built as durable. It could be a little lighter weight in design.
I hate to say it, but you couldn't be any farther from the truth... the whole FWD vs RWD wheel (Front wheel drive vs rear wheel drive) is nothing more than a quick description of the offset of the wheel... RWD wheels are close to 0 offset, or sometimes even a negative offset, whereas FWD wheels have a high positive offset, anything above +30

I've been in the tire and wheel business for many many years, and this is how it is...

there is no difference in strength between most wheels, the strength of the wheel is typically determined by the lug pattern. Manufacturers of wheels, when building a wheel, start with a wheel design for a certain level of vehicle - the lightest level would be passenger cars and small suv's (think ford explorer) and lighter, next step up would be your half ton vehicles, nissan titan, f-150, 4-runner, etc., then your 3/4 and 1 ton trucks would be the heaviest of the group.

lightest level bolt patterns - 4-100, 4-4.25, 4-4.5, 5-100, 5-110, 5-115, 5-114.3, 5-4.75, 6-4.5, 6-5
next level - 5-5, 5-5.5, 5-135, 6-135, 6-5.5
heaviest level (of common road vehicles) - 8-6.5, 8-170

there's more, but you get the idea...
Old 11-05-06, 11:27 AM
cloudnine
Pole Position

Yep, I'm wondering about the differences between RWD and front wheel drive wheels, not 4x4s.
Old 11-12-06, 09:32 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
I hate to say it, but you couldn't be any farther from the truth... the whole FWD vs RWD wheel (Front wheel drive vs rear wheel drive) is nothing more than a quick description of the offset of the wheel...
Yeah man I have to agree. I find it so funny when I hear someone say, those are FWD and those are RWD especially shops. My favorite thing is when they get a "ringer" like a 1IS!! Lol

I think that FWD RWD thing dates more back to the old days. To me it is like saying Small and Large tuxedos!
Old 11-14-06, 06:12 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it's all in the offset. if the offset is in the + and you install in a fwd they will stick out past the fender or the other way around. hope you get the pic
Old 11-14-06, 10:31 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
it's all in the offset. if the offset is in the + and you install in a fwd they will stick out past the fender or the other way around. hope you get the pic
alright, another winner...

again, this couldn't be any farther from the truth...

positive offset on a fwd car is proper, negative offset on a fwd car would stick out past the fender (or too wide of a wheel, with a low positive offset)
Old 12-01-08, 08:49 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Default FWD offset

i'm looking at a 20x8.5 wheel w/ a FWD offset (doesn't give more specific info). do you think these would work well on a 2gen GS? (01' gs430). i don't want to do any modifications or experience rubbing.
they have 245/30/20 tires.
thanks!
Old 12-02-08, 06:32 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by liazon
i'm looking at a 20x8.5 wheel w/ a FWD offset (doesn't give more specific info). do you think these would work well on a 2gen GS? (01' gs430). i don't want to do any modifications or experience rubbing.
they have 245/30/20 tires.
thanks!
I would say they would most likely fit, but the only way to know for sure would be to find the exact offset...

FWD offset is typically anything from +35 to +50

You'd have to get with the GS guys to know for sure what is going to fit without rubbing, but a high offset like +50 is really high and probably wouldn't look too good, whereas +35 to +40 is closer to what you are looking for...