Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

GTAutosports nightmare......

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-01, 08:14 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GtAutosports nightmare......

Well, its another sad day in my attempt to get Dubs....
I just took receipt of the 20" Work Equips w/Nittos from GTAutosports after waiting six weeks beyond the original delivery date....
I took the first one out of the package and my jaw hit the floor....I always go straight for the lip edge to make sure whoever mounted the tires took care and used a mounting tool either lined with plastic, cloth, padding, or cloth tape as not to "butcher" the wheel. Well, just as my luck has gone with this entire transaction, the rim lip-edge is ****ED!!!!! As I continued to unpack the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th wheels, I was shocked to find that each and EVERY wheel had been scarred during the mounting of the tires. Again, this is not rubber residue, or tire mounting gel that can be wiped away, it is punctures, scratches, and indentations in the actual metal...This after Dave did everything short of brag about how good the Discount tire was that he used. I told him that the only way that any of these four wheels could trully be presentable for sale as "NEW" would be to replace all four lips. Anyway, bright and early Monday morning these are on there way back to Arizona!!!!
$4.5K later all I have to say is: UN-****ING BELIEVABLE!!!!
I would do less damage mounting a tire on a wheel using a flat-head screw-driver, a cotton ball, and some vasoline....
I still dont understand my hesitation in posting an all out FLAME of GTAutosports, this nightmare seemingly has no end.
I would like to add that the packaging was every bit as good as Tire rack, whom I have ordered from in the past. There were no tears, marks, punctures, etc. on any of the packaging. The damage is right at the edge of the wheels where the Nitto tires wheel protector hangs over the edge, making it more obvious how the damage occured....How the **** do you ship that set of wheels to a customer you know is an **** ****** ****er.
Excuse the cussing, but this ****ing **** is unreal!!!!!!!! Tiny

Last edited by tinygs; 10-26-01 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-26-01, 08:17 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man that sucks, truely sucks man!!!!

im really sorry
Old 10-26-01, 08:43 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tiny,

truly sorry to hear that, :eek: do not know what to say.....
Old 10-26-01, 10:24 PM
RacingAristo

dude, that bites.

Old 10-26-01, 11:39 PM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

damn, sorry to hear chris. that's unbelievable. especially having the nerves to send them out like that! have you talk to david you? what will you do now? i hope you get everything worked out!
Old 10-26-01, 11:56 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

gosh TINY i feel more pissed than u, cuz I was seriously considering to order from GTautosports too. GOSH WHAT AN AZZHOLE! Call david and let us knwo what he can do about it.
Old 10-27-01, 02:26 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

I am awaiting a response from Dave to the SERIES of infuriated e-mails I sent him starting at about 6 this evening. I am still in shock as to how anyone could let this happen. I hesitate to get overly opinionated or rude on a forum such as this because, if I dont hear EXACTLY what I want to hear from Dave, this situation will go IMMEDIATELY to another level. (legaly speaking)
What makes me livid is that if I had only had Dave send the wheels and tires seperately, I have a very close friend who manages an NTB here in Austin who lets me monitor the mount and balance every step of the way to make sure that it gets done to my satisfaction. Not to mention that even the most in-experienced tire guy with half a brain could not have produced such a horrible result.
Something I just cant figure out is, if Dave is supposed to be knowledgable about aftermarket specialty items from Japan, and the bulk of his business is from people who take the car hobby SERIOUSLY, and some who do shows, track events, etc., how could you ship ANYTHING short of perfect, much less in this condition....In a way, I feel insulted.
After going in circles I have come to only two solutions that I will even begin to consider.
A- Full and prompt refund with no questions asked.

B- Re-embursment of exactly the cost of 4 NEW Work 20" "lips".

Then, I will dis-assemble the wheel and take the lip to a local shop to be repaired back to factory condition. I cant imagine another solution.....
Oh, I guess I could go back to square one and re-order a whole new set and wait another????.........................well, you know the drill..

Last edited by tinygs; 10-27-01 at 03:44 AM.
Old 10-27-01, 03:13 AM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well that that settles it.....i'm not going to order my veilside kit from Dave over at GT....i've heard bad things before but what happened to you really sucks....sorry to hear about your bad expericence. i hope you get your money back plus shipping.
Old 10-27-01, 03:35 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Whats up John????
I wish Dave would have just said, "well Chris, the guys at this Discount tire SUCK at mounting tires so you are better off letting me send the wheel/tire seperately".
Since that didnt happen, the following are the only two options I will consider. Option B still requires the unbolting of literally hundreds of bolts. Can I just remove the lip that faces the street and have it refinished and then bolt it back on myself?? How is the air sealed by just bolts, there must be some sort of seal as well..??? Anyway, here are the ONLY options I am willing to consider...
A- Full and prompt refund with no questions asked.

B- Re-embursment of exactly the cost of 4 NEW Work 20" "lips".

Then, I will dis-assemble the wheel and take the lip to a local shop to be repaired back to factory condition. I cant imagine another solution.....
Oh, I guess I could go back to square one and re-order a whole new set and wait another????.........................well, you know the drill..
Old 10-27-01, 04:39 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Damn tiny, I feel really bad for you. I'm about to order wheels and your experience is scaring the **** out of me.

I don't know anything about wheel repair but I know once things are taken apart and re-assembled they are rarely like new. You should have the privilege of getting BRAND NEW wheels, not wheels that are already repaired once. I know you've waited forever but I'd rather get a refund or an exchange for new wheels.

Maybe you can find a different importer??

I hope everything goes better for you from here..

Josh
Old 10-27-01, 05:15 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tiny, I'm awefully sorry to hear about your problems! I personally feel terrible about this because you know I've been trying to help you out all the way! I don't blame your for being pissed. I would have been SERIOUSLY pissed!

I think you should DEMAND that he has 4 BRAND NEW wheels AIR FREIGHTED DIRECTLY TO YOU. NO screwing around...and a NEW set of tires UNMOUNTED. Then he should REIMBURSE you for the cost of having them PROFESSIONALLY (STRESS THAT WORD!) INSTALLED.

If he offers to "repair" the lips, unless he has WORK do the replacement, I would DEMAND a STEEP DISCOUNT...

You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT when you say that Dave should have known better. I can't believe he let that happen! The installers obviously did not use the newer (more expensive) "touchless" tire installation units...*****ing amateurs! (discount tires)
Old 10-27-01, 05:24 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Definately uncalled for ! This is why I never order anything online because when something happens I can go back to the store and see him face to face.
Old 10-27-01, 10:43 AM
Aristov3o0
Pole Position

go through me next time lol
Old 10-27-01, 01:05 PM
ObiDon
Driver

Sorry about the problems you are having but I wanted to here more about the "tuchless" mounting process and where to find it. I also have to agree that being face to face with the guy that is going to mess with my car makes them do a better job. And I have had good luck at Discount, but as always it's the person taking pride, or not, in his work that counts.
Old 10-27-01, 03:01 PM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

tiny, if you get your money back and decide on another set of work, let me know. i have some contact overseas and MIGHT be able to get my hands on some for you faster than dave, i cant say for sure yet.

Quick Reply: GTAutosports nightmare......