Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tire recommendations for '99 GS400 ????

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 01:50 PM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tire recommendations for '99 GS400 ????

OEM tire for my vehicle is 235/45/17

The primary thing I want from my tires is wet weather traction. Secondary requirements are comfort and quiet. I don't expect more than 25K from any tire this size but would like to get around 25K since I don't drive it that hard. Handling in hard corners is not much of a factor for me anymore.

From looking at TireRack it looks like the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 A/S Pole Position fits my profile the best. Looks to be similar to Turanza LS-Z but a lot cheaper. I was dreaming that I might even be able to get 30K from either of these tires.....is that possible without losing wet weather ability or sounding like a freight train?

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S from Costco for around $195 each out the door after Michelin coupon may be the ticket but I have always felt like "most " Michelins are overpriced.

Then again if I can only realistically expect 20-25K miles from any tire before losing wet weather traction, etc. maybe it would be better to buy a value tire like the AvonTech M550 A/S or the Continental ContiExtreme and just replace them around 15-20K and be done with it.

Since I don't do a lot of fast driving or push my tires very hard I would apprecitate any comments you may have to help me decide. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 02-22-07, 03:16 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

After more study I am wondering if the Michelin Exalto would be a good tire for my situation. Does anyone have any experience with this tire?
Old 02-22-07, 09:10 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

stick with Michelin or Bridgestone, you will NOT be happy with the Avontechs or the Conti's... (our joke about the Conti's is that they are a low profiler all terrain)...

You can't go wrong with either of the choices you originally listed. personally, 960A/S with Michelin Exalto A/S next
Old 02-23-07, 03:22 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Thanks. I appreciate the advice. Do you know anything about Nitto tires....my local tire guy says I won't lose much opting for these over the 960's and will save a few hundred but I don't know...
Old 02-23-07, 03:37 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

wow, he's trying to make up for some missed profit margin....

the nittos are definitely cheaper, but don't even come close to comparing to the michelins or bridgestones... (I've sold just about every tire on the market, and consider the average nitto on the lower side of the spectrum with michelin / bridgestone being on the highest side)
Old 02-23-07, 11:46 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

I was going to try to get the Michelin Exalto since I could get them from Costco (which is conveniently located right beside my office) but they won't put an H rated tire on my GS400. I guess I will get the Bridgestone RE960 and not look back. First I need to complete some suspension work.
Old 02-24-07, 06:51 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The conti-extreme on tire rack has a bunch of bad reviews by GS owners. They look like a great all-season tire, but you are in TN.

I have the RE960 AS in 245/50R16 on my GS. I feel they are a bit loud for my tastes, but I love them. I had the opportunity to drive through a very heavy down pour and I was in a very hilly area with a lot of curves. I didn't need to slow down and I never felt like there was any chance of hydroplaning.

Are you looking for a All-season or would you go with a summer tire? I have some Firestone Firehawk wide ovals (different car) and they are very quiet and have amazing traction and handling. Priced right too.

PM eMan and get him to add to this thread. He has Turanza LS-Z 17's on his GS.
Old 02-24-07, 12:27 PM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

I was looking at the LS-Z Turanzas but can't see where they are worth $150-200 over the RE960's.
Old 02-24-07, 09:39 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Did someone say e-man?

OutlawTita -- take a real close look at the Exaltos. I spent about 20 minutes talking to the manager at Costco, and he was telling me that the Exalto A/S is a phenominal tire. If you're looking for a good all seaon tire that's quiet, comfortable, will last a relatively long time and will provide you with great rain traction and adequate light snow traction, I think that's the one. Yes, as IAGS400 pointed out, I have Turanza LS-Zs on my 17s, but I have an old beat up set of Eagle GT+4s on my winter 16s, and they will need to be replaced for next winter. I was considering the PP960AS as well, and I think they are a much better value than the Exaltos (basically, with the PPs, you're getting a great ultra high performance all-seaon Z rated tire at the price of what Michelin offers in an H-rated all season performance tire). The problem, though, is that Costo doesn't sell Bridgestone anymore, so if you want to buy from Costco, it's either Michelin or BF Goodrich.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

e
Old 02-28-07, 07:18 AM
SuperJeffe
Driver School Candidate

Hey e-man,

Since you have LS-Z's on your car, I was wondering if you would buy the 960's over the LS-Z's. I have LS-V's on my 99 GS 400 and I have to say they were a really good tire. I was going to move up to the LS-Z's without any thought at all. I saw your post on the 960's and was wondering which you would choose.

Quiet is what I am looking for. I am guessing I will get about the same life out of either the LS-Z or the 960. I don't drive very aggressive and the weather here is mostly rain, very little snow. Both tires say they get good traction and the LS-V's I had were excellent.

I considered the Exalto but I had such good luck with the LS-V's I was just going to stick with Bridgestone.

Thanks in advance
Jeff
Old 02-28-07, 07:40 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SuperJeffe
Hey e-man,

Since you have LS-Z's on your car, I was wondering if you would buy the 960's over the LS-Z's. I have LS-V's on my 99 GS 400 and I have to say they were a really good tire. I was going to move up to the LS-Z's without any thought at all. I saw your post on the 960's and was wondering which you would choose.

Quiet is what I am looking for. I am guessing I will get about the same life out of either the LS-Z or the 960. I don't drive very aggressive and the weather here is mostly rain, very little snow. Both tires say they get good traction and the LS-V's I had were excellent.

I considered the Exalto but I had such good luck with the LS-V's I was just going to stick with Bridgestone.

Thanks in advance
Jeff
Hey Jeff. If you're looking for comfort and quiet, I'd stick with the Bridgestone LS line. IAGS400 has the PPs, and although he really likes the tire, his one complaint is that they do transmit some road noise and feel into the cabin. If he's online today, he'll respond to this thread.

If Costco still sold Bridgestone, I'd go with the LS-V over the PPs for my winter 16s because quiet and comfort is more important to me than performance. In terms of cold weather traction, I think the PPs definitely have the edge over the LS-V, but that's not an issue for you living in the south. The harder decision for me would be choosing between the Bridgestone LS-V and the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. For your purposes, I guess the LS-V would have an edge because it's a V rated tire as opposed to the Exalto which is H rated. Then again, the Exalto has a slightly more aggressive tread design, so it might handle slightly better than the LS-V. If I had one complaint about the LS-Zs on my 17s it's that they don't handle great.

Does this help?
Old 02-28-07, 08:34 AM
SuperJeffe
Driver School Candidate

Yes that helps.

Although your comment on the handling of the LS-Z's is making me question the move up from the LS-V's. I have read where people say there is less noise on the LS-Z than the LS-V. Tirerack also gives the 2 fairly even scores on handling but take that for what it is. I would have thought with the Exalto being H-Rated and a more aggressive tread I would have thought that would make it noisier. I am a tire idiot so I could be wrong.

I guess it is down to just deciding between the LS-V and the LS-Z.
Old 02-28-07, 08:41 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SuperJeffe
Yes that helps.

Although your comment on the handling of the LS-Z's is making me question the move up from the LS-V's. I have read where people say there is less noise on the LS-Z than the LS-V. Tirerack also gives the 2 fairly even scores on handling but take that for what it is. I would have thought with the Exalto being H-Rated and a more aggressive tread I would have thought that would make it noisier. I am a tire idiot so I could be wrong.

I guess it is down to just deciding between the LS-V and the LS-Z.
I've read those same comments (about the LS-Z being quieter than the LS-V). In fact, I think there were one or two people on Tire Rack who bought the LS-Vs and returned them within 30 days for the LS-Z. Let me ask you this. Are you currently running 16s or 17s? My LS-Zs are 17, and they are by far and away the quietest, most comfortable tire I've ever had in a 17 inch/45 profile size. In fact, I would go so far to say that they are quieter and more comfortable than the current Eagle GT+4s I've got on my 16s. As for handling, I don't drive the car hard at all, so I have never really pushed them to their limit. Compared to the previous 17 I had (Toyo Proxes 4), the Toyos handled much, much better, but they were not nearly as quiet and definitely not as comfortable. Also, I've never compared the LS-Z to the LS-V, so I can't say whether the Z handles better than the V -- it probably does, or maybe we should say that it definitely won't handle worse. Because you're running the V, I assume that means that you have the stock 16 inch wheels.

There. I just spent 5 minutes saying a whole lot of nothing, and ending up right back where I started from. I guess this is what it boils down to. If you're happy with the Vs, stick with them. If you're looking for a slightly quieter ride with the slightly improved handling that comes with a Z-rated sidewall, go with the Zs.
Old 02-28-07, 08:46 AM
SuperJeffe
Driver School Candidate

Hehe, I get your point.

I am running the 16's. LS-Z is the tire then. When spending the money for the LS-V, what's a little more for the Z. I agree, I would imaging I won't tell hardly any difference between the 2 and hopefully the Z is a little quieter. Not that the V was noisy, but Lexus has spoiled me...I like quiet.

Thanks again for your time, it's nice being able to ask the question.
Old 02-28-07, 03:00 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

In my opinion they are a bit loud. But I'm basing my opinion against a certain stretch of interstate. I doubt any tire could please me.

Quick Reply: Tire recommendations for '99 GS400 ????