Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Need rims for an S500

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-01 | 11:25 AM
Jonathan S
Driver School Candidate

Default Need rims for an S500

I am looking for some decent 19-20" wheels as a present for my mom.

I know she'd love new wheels, but I know she would never "waste" money just for wheels. I don't think she'd care about a huge deep dish, big brand name, or weight of the wheels, just in the overall look and fitment on the car.

I am on a limited budget here and would like to spend about $2000 to $3000 at most. Not the most flexible budget, but hopefully it will be enough to buy a 1/2 way decent set of wheels that aren't too wide, maybe 8.5" all around.

Any ideas? I don't know much about baller wheels that stun you when the light hits them right, but I'm open to ideas.

Hope this isn't too offtopic, but the Mercedes forums have a much smaller fan base from going through archives on both forums.
Old 11-19-01 | 11:42 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

J,

check out the interactive site of www.tirerack.com.

you can fit different styles of wheels on the s500, and see how you like the look. for quality and price, i think the Carlssons 1/5(on budget), or the 2/5s are very nice. personally, after comparing the amgs and carlssons side-by-side, i think the carlssons ahve better material quuality and finish.

if you like japanese wheels too, take a look at www.gtautosport.com, pick out some choices, and tell us what you like. keep in mind, not all japanese wheels have the correct fittment for the benz. btw, do not order there.
Old 11-19-01 | 11:46 AM
Jonathan S
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by gs4will
J,

check out the interactive site of www.tirerack.com.

you can fit different styles of wheels on the s500, and see how you like the look. for quality and price, i think the Carlssons 1/5(on budget), or the 2/5s are very nice. personally, after comparing the amgs and carlssons side-by-side, i think the carlssons ahve better material quuality and finish.

if you like japanese wheels too, take a look at www.gtautosport.com, pick out some choices, and tell us what you like. keep in mind, not all japanese wheels have the correct fittment for the benz. btw, do not order there.
GS4Will,

I'm checking GTautosports.com now. What are your personal recommendations given my parameters?

I'm not a real fan of AMG/Carlsson wheels as they look too much like stock MBZ wheels.

I have no problem with any type of wheel, as long as it looks good and will survive every day highway driving of a 40+ year old women who has never taken a turn at more than 5-10mph in her life.
Old 11-19-01 | 12:03 PM
Jonathan S
Driver School Candidate

GS4Will,

Well, I've loaded and reloaded the dish wheel page of GTAutosports and 1/2 of them still come up as X's, must be my dial up connection.

None of the wheels really stood out to me, but I think this was in part to the quality of the pictures. I've seen the Lowenhart LD-1s on cars before and they looked beautiful, nothing like the cartoon like picture of it on GTAutosports.

Are Zenetti's any good? I was at MK Smith Chevrolet getting the seatbelt fixed on my dad's Z06 and one of the tech's had some 20" Zenetti's on her Impala. I don't remember exactly how they looked but at the time, I must have thought they looked pretty good since I asked her about them. I think she said she got 4 20s + tires for $2500 or so.
Old 11-19-01 | 12:26 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

J,

even the dish page on the gta site is gone now?? some members here had bad service, now even the site is bad

based on the mid $2k and up, including tyres, it would be kind of stretch to do 19s. for a big car like the s500, dish wheels would def nice. aslo if your mom drives slowly/conservatively, most wheels should be fine. however, it is the bad roads around LA that concerns me, esp on the nice big wheels with LIP. i would say 18s would prob be a safer bet, but being that the car is BIG, most would disagree with me. i just hate to see you mom get a dent on the nice wheels that you plan to get .

try these:

www.work-wheels.co.jp
www.aktusa.com
www.volkracing.co.jp
www.spreewellracing.com
www.dazzmotorsport.com

as far as the zenettis, i guess i will let manaray, our senior wheel guru, takes care of this issue...as i try not to flame anyone here.

william
Old 11-19-01 | 01:20 PM
Jonathan S
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by gs4will
J,

even the dish page on the gta site is gone now?? some members here had bad service, now even the site is bad

based on the mid $2k and up, including tyres, it would be kind of stretch to do 19s. for a big car like the s500, dish wheels would def nice. aslo if your mom drives slowly/conservatively, most wheels should be fine. however, it is the bad roads around LA that concerns me, esp on the nice big wheels with LIP. i would say 18s would prob be a safer bet, but being that the car is BIG, most would disagree with me. i just hate to see you mom get a dent on the nice wheels that you plan to get .

try these:

www.work-wheels.co.jp
www.aktusa.com
www.volkracing.co.jp
www.spreewellracing.com
www.dazzmotorsport.com

as far as the zenettis, i guess i will let manaray, our senior wheel guru, takes care of this issue...as i try not to flame anyone here.

william
Will,

I don't live in LA, or in an area with similar roads. My mom's drive consists of a 15 mile drive on the 57 to 10 freeway, and maybe 2-3 miles on sidestreets.

I actually live about 5-10 minutes from you in Chino Hills, CA.

Wheels that look good and will survive very timid daily driving are what I'm looking for. I don't think my mom would mind too much if the wheel said HRE or Lowenhart compared to a wheel that isn't as highly regarded, provided the wheel looks good and doesn't give her any problems.
Old 11-19-01 | 01:42 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

HRE/Lowenharts are def very nice for the benz. though they ae kind of expensive, if your budget allows, they are worth it.

we are practically neighbors

william
Old 11-19-01 | 01:52 PM
Wheels Boutique
Former sponsor

Check out www.wheelboutique.com they have alot of stuff in that range !!!!
Old 11-19-01 | 04:23 PM
Jonathan S
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by LEXTACY44
Check out www.wheelboutique.com they have alot of stuff in that range !!!!
Thanks for the link, it gave me a huge page of pictures and fitments for an S500. I'm going to have my mom look at them when she gets the chance and have her decide for herself.
Old 11-22-01 | 04:06 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

I recommand Tirerack.com, don't go to GTauto unless you want to be annoyed and loose money. Check out what other members have to say about them first.

I like these brands.

AMG
Carlsson
Lorinsor
Brabus

They are made for Benzs and you don't have to worry about importing or offset not working, wrong fitments etc, etc.
Attached Thumbnails Need rims for an S500-s5_5d8.jpg  
Old 11-22-01 | 04:20 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

IM SELLING MY LD1'S THAT FIT A BENZ S500 !!! THEY CAME OFF MY UNCLES S500 THEY WERE ON THE CAR FOR 100MILES THEN HE DECIDED TO SELL THE CAR ... SO I HAVE THE RIMS TO SELL MAKE ME AN OFFER ASAP! THESE RISM RETAIL FOR 1200$ A PEICE SO AROUND 5-6GRAND FOR THE SET.. I CAN GET RID OF IT FOR AROUND 3GRAND.. LET ME KNOW ASAP. KAMRAN_KARIM@HOTMAIL.COM

LOWENHARTS ARE TOP OF THE TOP LINE!!!
BEST QUALITY RIMS YOULL FIND ANYWHERE... YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT .. AND ASK ANY ONE... LOWENHART LD1'S ARE BY FAR ONE OF THE BEST LOOKING AND QUALITY RIMS OUT THERE. THESE ARE 20INCH BY 9 20X9 AND THE LUG PATTERN IS FOR A S500 5LUG BY 112MM 5X112 RIMS ARE IN GREAT CONDITION.

HERE IS A PIC

[IMG]
http://www.mbworld.org/upload/2001/lowenhart_ld1_wheel_2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-22-01 | 04:22 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Opps, I just read the post throughly and realized you don't like AMG type rims. I found another pic of a S with dubs on.
Attached Thumbnails Need rims for an S500-untitled.jpg