Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

replacing fronts and not rears?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-07, 06:10 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing fronts and not rears?

I need to replace my rear tires, but after examining the fronts, i am certain i can get another 10,000 miles out of the fronts.

Is there anything wrong with just replacing the rears? Another thing, they don't make bridgestone SO-3's anymore so my tires will be mismatched if i just replace the rears. My options are:

1.) I'm thinking of getting Bridgestone RE050A rears to go with my Bridgestone SO-3's in the front.

or

2.) Getting a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 front and rear.

I think i know what you guys are going to recommend, but i would rather spend 500 than 1000 on tires.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-07, 08:29 PM
LexFather

I have heard nothing but fantastic things about the F1 GS-D3.

You can mismatch but they probably will recommend putting the new tires up front and the old tires in the rear.

Then you can do some burnouts, wear out the tires and buy new ones
Old 03-20-07, 10:39 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have heard nothing but fantastic things about the F1 GS-D3.

You can mismatch but they probably will recommend putting the new tires up front and the old tires in the rear.

Then you can do some burnouts, wear out the tires and buy new ones
The industry standard recommendation of new tires to the front has changed...

Now, every major tire manufacturer, RMA, and more (even Top Gear) recommends putting newer, better tires on the rear of a vehicle...

reasoning - it is easier to control a blow out on the front, and, more importantly, it is easier to control a car that is understeering rather than oversteering... (the same reason manufacturers build understeer into every production car made - well, almost every)

they also recommend higher speed rating (if theres a difference) be mounted on the rear as well...
Old 03-20-07, 01:00 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Now, every major tire manufacturer, RMA, and more (even Top Gear) recommends putting newer, better tires on the rear of a vehicle...

reasoning - it is easier to control a blow out on the front, and, more importantly, it is easier to control a car that is understeering rather than oversteering... (the same reason manufacturers build understeer into every production car made - well, almost every)
I would agree. This became apparent to me when I had a flat on my 01' Cobra. I was running 275/40/17 Goodyear Eagle F1s all around. I don't know if it's the same tires or its revised version 1SICK was suggesting, but I had 10th Anniv. Cobras (2003) wheels and those are the ones that came with it from the factory. I did not like them at all. They felt like the car was riding on wood and the treadwear was terrible. I checked TireRack for a replacement and it was wayyy overpriced. My front had a flat so I changed it out to the pathetic donut. After lowering the car back down, the logic hit me. If I was traveling approx. 55mph on the freeway and the donut failed or popped, it would send me flying into the shoulder or center divider or worse-- into another vehicle. So I proceeded to raise the car, but the rear in the front and the donut in the back.

Last edited by sleeper408; 03-20-07 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-20-07, 08:44 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

I forgot to mention that i have a staggered wheel setup, so i can't swap the fronts to the rears. It's either buy 2 rears or buy a whole set of tires. I'm leaning towards buying the rears and see how they feel. If it feels weird, i'll just order the fronts immediately.
Old 03-20-07, 09:00 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1niceride
I forgot to mention that i have a staggered wheel setup, so i can't swap the fronts to the rears. It's either buy 2 rears or buy a whole set of tires. I'm leaning towards buying the rears and see how they feel. If it feels weird, i'll just order the fronts immediately.
I would do just this if I were you.
Old 03-21-07, 12:25 AM
sleeper408

If you are pretty positive you can get 10,000 miles more out of the fronts, then I would just change out the rears. You paid good money for the fronts and should run them until they are bald. I would understand why you would even want to swap the whole set at once when you're fronts still have meat left on them-- to save you a trip to the tire shop.
Old 03-21-07, 09:57 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

I am 85% sure i can get another 10,000 miles out of the fronts. Another thing about my car, i only drive it 2 or 3 times a week. So 10,000 miles is about 1 and a half years before i will need to replace the fronts.

I just ordered the rears and hopefully i won't have any ride issues with the mismatch.

Thanks for everyones input.
Old 03-21-07, 07:00 PM
sleeper408

1 1/2 more years? I would say hold off on the fronts then. I have Hankooks in front and Falkens in the rear and there are no issues for me. I wanted to get matching Falkens in for the fronts but the Hankooks had a treadwear rating of 420 and I got them for a very good price. My driving style is conservative and although the Hankooks are rated at only A traction and not AA like the rears, I have not noticed any difference in performance because of my conservative driving. The only complaint I have is the front tires seem to produce a lot more road noise than the rears.