Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Time to replace 17" tires on GS430; looking for recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-01, 07:53 AM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Toyo FZ4

I’ve gotta weigh in on the Toyo FZ4’s – a new set came on the car when I bought it so they weren’t my decision – but, I can’t complain – they are quiet – handle all that the car can dish out (so far) and dry/wet traction is fine for Dallas weather. I have no idea what they’re like on snow/ice. It appears that they’re inexpensive as well ($117 that Shogun quoted is great). Don’t know about wear yet – we’ll see. As of right now, I’d buy another set.

Should’ve done this before: went to the Toyo website and found that they’re all-season Z-rated, and have “A” ratings on both traction and temperature – as well as the 300 treadwear rating that Shogun mentioned. I also learned that Tire Review Magazine has rated Toyo tires as #1 in tire quality for 5 years in a row (beginning to sound like a commercial). And get this … they’ve also got a money-back offer on some of the tires – if you don’t like them after 500 miles, bring them back. They’re the 5th largest tire company in the world and I never heard of them before??

Just thought that the additional information might be of some use to another member.

Last edited by garnet92; 12-27-01 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-27-01, 09:33 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey garnet,

is SHOGUN a tyre retailer? mind sharing with us some tel/wed site info?

thanks
Old 12-27-01, 09:41 AM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default He's a CL member

No, GS4 Shogun is a CL member who also posted some info about his experiences with the Toyo tires - back on a previous page.
Old 12-27-01, 10:04 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Can you say "S-T-I-C-K-Y"

TOYO PROXES T1-S!!! I have had these tires on for over a month and they are the stickiest and best wearing tires..........PERIOD!!!
I read an article somewhere either online or in a mag and they did a head-to-head w/ the almighty Michellin Pilot, Pirelli Asymetrico, Yokahama AVS, Dunlop SP9000, & BF's top o the line!
The T1-S & Pilot wer tops! With an edge going to the T1-S for wet traction & price! :eek: I haven't had an opportunity to test em' in the rain, (I don't drive in the rain ) but I have a feeling it woulkd be like driving in the DRY!!! :eek:
Old 12-27-01, 09:47 PM
Juan C. Cos

Holly crap!!! What the hell was that retina-busting color all about? Geeez, I'm honestly allucinating after reading that!
Anyway, you guys have me all confused now. I thought the consensus was that AVS db's were the best value, and now there are tire names all over the place.
I'll keep watching this post, I guess.
I have 13K on the stock tires and still look pretty good, but I might ditch that ****ty rubber well before they're worn out. And guys, I didn't have to have the windows down to hear the roar; it was there with the windows up, until I put the borlas.
Old 12-29-01, 08:49 AM
GS4Man

Toyo T1-S's are the best value out there hands down, and they are VERY close to tires that cost 2X !!!. My GS400 tracks like it is on rails compared to the stock Bridgestones and the Dunlop SP8000's that I had on previously. PLUS, they are quiter than both. PLUS, they look better than both. PLUS they are the least expensive (got them from Express Tire in Carlsbad / San Marcos). From what I have heard, they will last longer than both. You cannot go wrong with the T1-S's !!!
Old 12-29-01, 09:51 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by GS4Man
Toyo T1-S's are the best value out there hands down, and they are VERY close to tires that cost 2X !!!. My GS400 tracks like it is on rails compared to the stock Bridgestones and the Dunlop SP8000's that I had on previously. PLUS, they are quiter than both. PLUS, they look better than both. PLUS they are the least expensive (got them from Express Tire in Carlsbad / San Marcos). From what I have heard, they will last longer than both. You cannot go wrong with the T1-S's !!!
Nuff Said!!!
Old 12-29-01, 12:08 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Where is the best place to purchase the Toyo T1-S??? Price, shipping , etc.
Old 12-29-01, 12:14 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default Toyo's website

400DGRZ – check the Toyo website www.toyo.com for a dealer locator. I found that Discount Tire (in Dallas) carries them but was unable to find them listed on the local Discount Tire websites so couldn’t check prices – they didn’t even list Toyo as a brand they carried??? BTW, the T1-S was one of the tires that had the 500 mile money back warranty.
Old 12-30-01, 11:52 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 400DGRZ
Where is the best place to purchase the Toyo T1-S??? Price, shipping , etc.
Here you go my man! Another "hook-up" from your boy TXSTYLE! http://www.jdwheels.com/Toyo_Tires.htm
Old 12-30-01, 12:40 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Actually I ended up going with the Dunlop SP-5000s. I'm very happy with them so far. I had them put on the Wednesday before X-Mas and drove a 2,000 mile round trip on them from TX to TN. They're a tiny bit softer on hard turns, but with my suspension setup everything still feels very good. I'm looking forward to see how long they last after getting only 16K out of my stock rubber.
Old 04-03-02, 09:07 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

SCWells72-

You've driven the Dunlop 17 SP5000 for quite a few months now. How is it holding up as far as tire noise is concerned? Is it really that much quieter than the OEM Bridgestones? Thanks.
Old 04-03-02, 10:04 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On the stock 17" rims do you guys see any issue on purchasing wider rubber.. Lets say 245/45/17 instead of the 235/45/17.. Just curious..

I just ordered a set of 17" Kuhmo tires for my sister.. Forget the exact model number (Supra 712.. I think) but it came highly recommended for price, longevity and wet/dry handing..

I had Toyo T1-S on my last ride and I loved them as well but the Kuhmo's are half the price with a 280 wear rating.. Any thoughts would be most appreciated on the Kuhmo's since i'll have to buy tires soon for the GS when the new rims arrive..

Ken
Old 04-03-02, 10:19 AM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the yokohama dB's suck!! I have them and am going to go back to the pilot xgt. the dB seem to be hard to balance. the michelins never had a problem. the dB after 5k were giving me balancing problems.
Old 04-03-02, 11:57 AM
blue wax
Lead Lap

do you guys in the USA know
the SEMPERIT SPORTS TYRES ??

cheap, loads of grip on dry and wet and very quiet runners.

check it out

I am very satisfied with those

jacko

Quick Reply: Time to replace 17" tires on GS430; looking for recommendations...