Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Time to replace 17" tires on GS430; looking for recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-02, 12:26 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

2SAVVY-

Surprisingly, in the Dunlop SP5000 line, the 245 and 235/45-17 sizes have the exact same diameter of 25.8 inches, and therefore, 806 revs per mile. The only difference being the 245 has wider sidewall at 9.8" vs. 9.5" and wider thread at 8.8 vs. 8.5".

Yoko AVS dB 235/45-17 (thanks for the feedback, GS400TRD) has a diameter of 25.4" at 819 revs/mile. The 245/45-17 has 25.7" diameter and 808 revs per mile. The SO3 sizes are also very close.

The Dunlop appears to stick like a sore thumb in that its larger size for the 235/45 is more in line with other brands' 245/45-17.

I got the data from www.tirerack.com
Old 04-03-02, 02:19 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks whitels for the info..

Here is a link below to Tirerack's info on the Kumho's I got for my sister.. If anyone has these on their car please by post a review on them for me.. Thanks!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/kumho/ku_712.jsp
Old 04-03-02, 04:19 PM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the Lexus, I really like the Yokohama Db's. They are much quiter, very good ride, and nice performance. Contrary to popular belief, Lexus' are not 911TTs and do not need 911TT tires.

I also sell a full range of tires.
Old 04-03-02, 05:05 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok after reading a ton of reviews on various tires that Tirerack carries it really does seem that the Toyo T1-S is the best solution with respect to price and performance..

Dennis maybe you can answer this do you see any problem running a 245/45/17 on the stock GS 17" rims.. Your expertise would be most appreciated..

Thanks!

Ken
Old 04-03-02, 06:35 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by whitels
SCWells72-

You've driven the Dunlop 17 SP5000 for quite a few months now. How is it holding up as far as tire noise is concerned? Is it really that much quieter than the OEM Bridgestones? Thanks.
I've been pretty happy with the SP5000s. Honestly, I can't tell a huge difference in tire noise or smoothness relative to the stock Bridgestones, but I CAN tell that cornering is a little softer because of the lower rating of the SP5000s. Not too much, but enough to be noticeable. I'm hoping that the trade-off is that the tires last more than 15K miles. I have about 7000 on them now and the tread looks pretty healthy.

I'd recommend them, yeah, especially if tread life is as important to you as sportiness and tire noise.
Old 04-03-02, 10:36 PM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

Originally posted by 2SAVVY
Ok after reading a ton of reviews on various tires that Tirerack carries it really does seem that the Toyo T1-S is the best solution with respect to price and performance..

Dennis maybe you can answer this do you see any problem running a 245/45/17 on the stock GS 17" rims.. Your expertise would be most appreciated..

Thanks!

Ken
Ken,

I've run the numbers, though I do not know the factory Lexus offset. (I'm in the aftermarket ) However, the numbers say that it shouldn't be any problem. I would order that set up with confidence.
Old 04-04-02, 09:41 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 2SAVVY

Thanks!

Ken
I can answer that question for you: No Problemo! I ran and still have my "factory chrome 17's" with Nitto NT555 Extremes-245/45/17 stacked in my garage just in case. Perfect setup!

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 04-04-02 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-04-02, 10:42 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

The 245s will fit with no problem and they will give you a bit more rubber on the pavement and a more "comfortable" ride.

But they will also be more "floaty" and not quite as responsive in handling as the 235s because of the extra height of the sidewall.

Your choice.
Old 04-04-02, 12:00 PM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

I'm gonna say something different and recommend just not getting new 17" tires and just go 18" and get new rims. SOmetimes rims places give serious discount if you get a packaged deal (install + mount + balance + alignment) when you get a set of tires + rims.

I went in one day to change tires for my 16"'s and walked out with 18"' 3 peices for 3K and I would've spent 800 just to replace tires. I then sold my stock rims for 250 each and made 1K there. So for 1200 I got a whel upgrade and lifetime alighnment , balance and happiness
Old 04-04-02, 12:01 PM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

However, to add on to this thread I suggest in ANY size YOKOHAMA AVS SPORT with the V pattern. I've had 2 sets of these and they're great and they LOOK great and I've gotten compliments everywhere I go - Especially from Dunlop SP people hahah
Old 04-04-02, 12:18 PM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

Originally posted by NVMYGS3
I'm gonna say something different and recommend just not getting new 17" tires and just go 18" and get new rims. SOmetimes rims places give serious discount if you get a packaged deal (install + mount + balance + alignment) when you get a set of tires + rims.

I went in one day to change tires for my 16"'s and walked out with 18"' 3 peices for 3K and I would've spent 800 just to replace tires. I then sold my stock rims for 250 each and made 1K there. So for 1200 I got a whel upgrade and lifetime alighnment , balance and happiness
This is a fairly common occurance at the local tire shops. I make such deals with local buyers, but shipping mounted tires/wheels is astronomical.

That said, if a customer buys wheels from me, I sell the tires at my cost.
Old 04-07-02, 04:54 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SCWells72

I've been pretty happy with the SP5000s. Honestly, I can't tell a huge difference in tire noise or smoothness relative to the stock Bridgestones, but I CAN tell that cornering is a little softer because of the lower rating of the SP5000s. Not too much, but enough to be noticeable. I'm hoping that the trade-off is that the tires last more than 15K miles. I have about 7000 on them now and the tread looks pretty healthy.

I'd recommend them, yeah, especially if tread life is as important to you as sportiness and tire noise.
In my case, I want to be able to detect a significant difference when you change to better tires almost immediately. Eventhough the difference in SCWell's case may very well be seen in the long term, in regards to the lifetime of the tires, I want to feel and hear the difference immediately after making the change.

Maybe I'm still dreaming, but hope and hear that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S maybe that solution.
Old 04-07-02, 05:11 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by lexguynj

In my case, I want to be able to detect a significant difference when you change to better tires almost immediately. .
TOYO PROXES T-1 S!!! Nuff' said!!!
Attached Thumbnails Time to replace 17" tires on GS430; looking for recommendations...-t1-s2.jpg  
Old 09-25-02, 08:53 PM
davidk
Driver School Candidate

Do any of you have any info/experience on the Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP? Tirerack gives it high ratings and I'm thinking about getting them to replace my stock 17s.

Also, how "bad" would it be for me to change only three of the four tires? (one of the Potenza RE030s has less than 500 miles on it and the spare is brand new).

Thanks,

--David
Old 09-25-02, 09:22 PM
GS4Man

Default Time to replace wheels and tires on GS430 ...

I have had the Toyo T-1 Proxes on my 98 GS400 for a bit over a year now with absolutely no issues. I think this are GREAT tires and will purchase them agani when the time comes. Further, they seem to be wearing evenly with no issues with accellerated wear on the front inside edge of the tires like I had with the Dunlop SP8000. this may be attributed to the tires or to a proper alignment I had done at Express Tire in San Marcos. I did have the car re-aligned previously at the dealer with the OEM tires and the Dunlops, but had the wear issue like many other owners.

In short, the T-1 Proxes are definitely a big step up from the stock Bridgestones in EVERY way, and a step up from the Dunlop SP8000s. Lastly, I have gotten many comments on the looks of the Toyo's from many random admirers at say, the gas pump. They just look damn good / agressive. One other note, I use the stock 17 inch alloys with 1" rear wheel spacers I got from RMM. Have had the spacers on for 2+ years with no issues. The affect on the look on the rear of the car more than justifies the modest cost of the spacers. IMHO, the car now looks like Lexus should have made it look in the first place. I.E. an aggressive looking car, and not some rice burning aftermarket kludge.

Quick Reply: Time to replace 17" tires on GS430; looking for recommendations...