Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Time to replace 17" tires on GS430; looking for recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-02, 09:31 PM
GS4Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17" tires on GS430; looking for recommendations...

One more thing ... no way on a 3-1 mix of tires unless you want an imprint of a guard rail or worse on the side of your GS. :eek:
Old 09-25-02, 09:54 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

For your reference, I am still waiting for my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S to come in (Directly replacement to the OEM 17" tires). They seem to be on backorder at this time from Michelin.

More updates to follow once I finally get them installed!
Old 09-27-02, 08:47 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

lexguynj:

Hey fellow Jersey guy, I had same problem last week. Serious backorder at Michelin for the 235/45-17 size, so when NTB had A/S in 245/45-17, I went with them. The overall tire diameter is 0.3 different (betw 235 and 245 version) according to Michelin's chart, so sidewall height diff is 0.15 between the two. I haven't bothered to check the diff in diameter between the stock Bridgestones and the Michelins yet, but it seems noticeable.

You'll love the tires, either size. They blow away the stock Bridgestones. Car doesn't pull AT ALL anymore. I took an exit ramp at 60 the other day that I normally got uncomfortable at 45-50 on the Bridgestones. And you can drive these in the winter???
Old 09-27-02, 09:08 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by engin_ear
lexguynj:

Hey fellow Jersey guy, I had same problem last week. Serious backorder at Michelin for the 235/45-17 size, so when NTB had A/S in 245/45-17, I went with them. The overall tire diameter is 0.3 different (betw 235 and 245 version) according to Michelin's chart, so sidewall height diff is 0.15 between the two. I haven't bothered to check the diff in diameter between the stock Bridgestones and the Michelins yet, but it seems noticeable.

You'll love the tires, either size. They blow away the stock Bridgestones. Car doesn't pull AT ALL anymore. I took an exit ramp at 60 the other day that I normally got uncomfortable at 45-50 on the Bridgestones. And you can drive these in the winter???
Hey there NJ friend. I was thinking the same thing, do 245s change anything performance, handling wise as opposed to 235s or do they fit just fine? Thanks for the info. I may have to go this route and see if my tire place will give me the same price for the 245s since they are in stock.
Old 09-30-02, 01:02 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The difference between 235 and 245 is minor, it is so hard to tell whether the differences in feel and handling are coming from the width difference at all - there's so much difference in the stock tires vs the Michelins to begin with. I can't compare apples to apples, I'm comparing apples to oranges.

The 245's fit fine on the stock 17"s. The clearance is less, but not a problem, nothing hits anything on mine. The 245's are slightly taller than the 235's, and I suspect that the Michelin 235 is taller than the Bridgestone 235, though I haven't checked yet.

The 245's handle better, but the width is worse for snow days (the thinner the tire, the better), but I'm hoping the A/S tread makes up for it. I guess you could also consider a 245/40, but then the tire diameter gets too small on a 17" wheel.
Old 10-10-02, 11:57 AM
nudderGS400
Pole Position

Default 1 vote 4 AVS db

I put some Yoko AVS dbs on my GS4 and have been very pleased with them. 15K miles later (mostly highway) they are holding up well. Expect to get 30+ from them. They have been very good in the wet and dry, a good comprimise. I picked them over the SP5000 mainly because of the look and hydro resistance. But the SP5000 are supposed to be really good in the snow.

The trick with the dbs is to run around 38 pounds up front and 35 in the rear, keeps you from rolling over the sidewalls when you corner hard. I can tell when my pressure is low when I get out of the car by looking at the fronts and see how much sidewall I drove on today. I push them pretty hard, TCS light is my friend.

BTW - running 245s on stock 16s.
Old 04-07-03, 05:03 PM
moomba
Driver School Candidate

Default Yoko AVS DB vibrations

I'm also looking at replacing my tires on 17" stock rims. Currently running on Yoko DB AVS 245/45. The tread is wearing uneven after 10k highway miles. I'm getting vibrations at 75 mph. I've tried balancing twice....

Considering the Goodyear F1 GS. $180 mounted/each at Discounttire. The Mich. Sport A/S were $225/each. The BF Good KDWS seemed like the best buy at $160.

Anyone running on Goodyear F1's? Comments.

Thanks.
Old 04-08-03, 08:10 AM
kvoman
Driver

Moomba -

You're about the thrid person besides myself that considered the BFG g-Force KDWS. I don't know why but a lot of people don't even consider these! Maybe these just don't look radical enough.

I don't know if you have a Costco over there but when I got ours KDWS (235/45/17) at Costco here in CA, they were $114/ea. + $9/ea for mounting/lifetime balancing and rotation/road hazard warranty.

If you are concerned about rotation issue with the tires, the KDWS is the way to go since it is not directional like the others. With a directional tire, you cannot x-rotate them for even wear. We have about 5k miles on the KDWS on our car and they handle great in the rain, very tractable in the dry, never been in the snow so no comment on that. A co-worker of mine followed my suggestion and got KDWS for his Jetta (VR6), he drove through some heavy downpour and said they were so much better than his Goodyear tires. He did not feel that the car was hydroplaning at all and he can take corners much faster than the OEM Goodyear.
Old 04-26-03, 06:26 AM
apanju
Rookie

Question Noise of TOYO PROXES T1-S

This thread has been extremely informative...I presently have Dunlop FM901 in the rear and Bridgestone Potenza up front. I hate the noise that these tires generate ...I bought the car with 2 different sets on so need to replace very soon. How would you compare the noise levels for the TOYO PROXES T1-S to my set-up...what kind of mileage can I expect out of the TOYO PROXES T1-S. Not iterested in Winter tractions as I have a second set for winter already...you see I bought the car in October. Thanks
Old 04-26-03, 07:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts
Default Re: Noise of TOYO PROXES T1-S

Originally posted by apanju
This thread has been extremely informative...I presently have Dunlop FM901 in the rear and Bridgestone Potenza up front. I hate the noise that these tires generate ...I bought the car with 2 different sets on so need to replace very soon. How would you compare the noise levels for the TOYO PROXES T1-S to my set-up...what kind of mileage can I expect out of the TOYO PROXES T1-S. Not iterested in Winter tractions as I have a second set for winter already...you see I bought the car in October. Thanks
Toyo T1-S is NOT a long lasting tire (12-15K max probably). But it IS a great tire in terms of traction and quiet. Had two sets. They were the quietest performance tire I've had.

I'm trying Dunlop SP9000's. Not quite as quiet as the T1-S but still a VERY nice tire.