Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Offset Selection: What is wrong with Lexus owners?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-07, 01:39 PM
CuCaMonstr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Caoboy
fitting proper wheels means filling the wheel well. MOST people here on CL buy wheels, with stockish offsets, so they can use their stock tires, or because they are afraid of rubbing a little bit, when you can just roll your fenders, and call it a day. you CAN have someone measure out the EXACT measurements you need, wheel width/size and offset. they can show you how to fit the biggest (like 19/20") wheel, with the most lip possible, and be able to achieve tsuraichi, still not rub, and look awesome in the process.

if you take the time to actually look into buying wheels, see what's actually out there, what you can actually achieve, and don't buy off the shelf wheels, with 'fitting' offsets (which usually don't even fit very well, and are typical HONDA offsets) from ebay (OMG why do lexus owners even look there) or stores like tirerack( no offense, tires are nice, but your wheel selection isn't)
then you can spend the money to get the best selection, the best brands, and the best looks/compliments about your wheels!

i don't justify spending ~3k on wheels/tires and have my wheels NOT be flush/exactly how i want them to look.
Thank you, I couldn't have said better!
Old 04-01-07, 01:49 PM
punch10
Driver

Caoboy is directly on point. I get so frustrated with Lexus owners because they are afraid to roll their fenders. For example I am selling my custom offset iForged which isn't that aggressive and people are e-mailing me or pm'ing that they are afraid to roll the lip! I can't believe it. You heat up the lip on the inside, roll the lip, put in some camber and it's done. Let's say you roll and the paint cracks on the inside. Does anyone know how easy it is to touch it up? The cracking is not evidence on the outside of the quarter panel.

We really need to educate the GS owners out there and they need to stop being afraid of such basic and safe mod. Hell, on my 240sx we pulled the rear quarter panels 25 mm to get the new Volk RE30s to fit with a 295 tire. IF you want that gangster look, do the gangster mod. Going back to the GS, a roll is not a gangster mod - it's something my girlfriend can do.

We should have fender rolling class at my house - with my fender roller. No one will have to bring or rent one.
Old 04-01-07, 02:19 PM
edwin907
Driver

Originally Posted by reggiek
Proper wheel fitment is essential.

Reggiek does have a point.

If you increase rear track more than the front, like we often see with the aggressive offsets, you increase understeer, not a desireable outcome for those of us interested in handling.
This can be compensated for in various ways, and after my coilover installation I'll be investigating it further.

Punch, them's some awesome rims you have for sale!

Last edited by edwin907; 04-01-07 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-01-07, 02:48 PM
punch10
Driver

Originally Posted by edwin907
Reggiek does have a point.

If you increase rear track more than the front, like we often see with the aggressive offsets, you increase understeer, not a desireable outcome for those of us interested in handling.
This can be compensated for in various ways, and after my coilover installation I'll be investigating it further.

Punch, them's some awesome rims you have for sale!
Thanks edwin. Sure, damper, spring rate, sway bar size, and tire size will all affect handling. As you said, the adjustability ability fine tunes the vehicle. However, aesthetically and handling wise, you should have the front track and rear track nearly the same. Most custom setups are within 3-5 mm of the front and rear which is negligible on handling. If your front track is 25 mm narrow than the rear, then I would say this creates problems.
Old 04-01-07, 03:55 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by punch10
IF you want that gangster look, do the gangster mod. Going back to the GS, a roll is not a gangster mod - it's something my girlfriend can do.
Most of us don't want that Gangster Look. I am not a gangster, not a kid, not a noob or ricer. I'm a Lexus/Infiniti owner who wants a tastefully modded car.
I can't pull in at work bouncing and scraping wearing my business attire. I can't take the CEO to lunch in a car that can't navigate bumps and dips.
I don't knock you for wanting that. What's this business of being frustrated with others who don't think as you. Grow up.
Old 04-01-07, 04:33 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is no right or wrong. Everyone has the right to go with what they want and spend their hard-earned dollars on what they want. Not everyone wants to go as aggressive as possible (and sometimes more). Not everyone wants to stay within the OEM fender spec.

There is nothing wrong with Lexus owners (or any car owners) who will do what they'd like. It would be a boring world if everyone agrees to everything. There is no need to be frustrated by individual opinions. Punch10, I know you want to sell your wheels but to think there is something wrong with people who do not share your opinion is wrong in itself.

There could be plenty of reasons why some people are not pursuing your wheels. They may not like the style or finish. For example, I have my own reasons (rational or not) for not wanting iForged wheels. Your wheels may be a style I like with the specs I like but since they are iForged, they are not on my list.

Upgrading wheels is not something everyone does. You are already selling to a minority. Narrowing that to Lexus owners, and then owners who want those wheels, and then owners who want aggressive offsets has created a very small market for you. That is just reality. I do wish you luck selling your wheels.

I respect your opinion on how YOU like wheels to fit your car but just because others do not agree with you (and other members sharing your opinion), it does not mean they are "wrong". I am not even saying I disagree with you . My opinion about offsets is irrelevant to what I am saying about opinions.
Old 04-01-07, 04:52 PM
punch10
Driver

Originally Posted by Neo
There is no right or wrong. Everyone has the right to go with what they want and spend their hard-earned dollars on what they want. Not everyone wants to go as aggressive as possible (and sometimes more). Not everyone wants to stay within the OEM fender spec.

There is nothing wrong with Lexus owners (or any car owners) who will do what they'd like. It would be a boring world if everyone agrees to everything. There is no need to be frustrated by individual opinions. Punch10, I know you want to sell your wheels but to think there is something wrong with people who do not share your opinion is wrong in itself.

There could be plenty of reasons why some people are not pursuing your wheels. They may not like the style or finish. For example, I have my own reasons (rational or not) for not wanting iForged wheels. Your wheels may be a style I like with the specs I like but since they are iForged, they are not on my list.

Upgrading wheels is not something everyone does. You are already selling to a minority. Narrowing that to Lexus owners, and then owners who want those wheels, and then owners who want aggressive offsets has created a very small market for you. That is just reality. I do wish you luck selling your wheels.

I respect your opinion on how YOU like wheels to fit your car but just because others do not agree with you (and other members sharing your opinion), it does not mean they are "wrong". I am not even saying I disagree with you . My opinion about offsets is irrelevant to what I am saying about opinions.
Neo - I honestly don't care what other people want to do with their wheels, the point I want to get accross is rolling the fender lip is not a major modification. It is clear to me that when people haven't done it before, it is the fear of the unknown. However, this is something that should be feared. Of course, I don't believe all lexus owners think this way but because it is a luxury car, owners are hesitant to do anything. That leads to a very conservative offset selection.

As far as respect, I understand your post and point well taken. I don't want my thread to come across as being disrespectful to other people's taste. Although the thread may come across this way, that is not my intention. My intention behind this thread is to have people open their eyes as to what is a minor modification and what is a major modification.
Old 04-01-07, 07:13 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by punch10
Neo - I honestly don't care what other people want to do with their wheels, the point I want to get accross is rolling the fender lip is not a major modification. It is clear to me that when people haven't done it before, it is the fear of the unknown. However, this is something that should be feared. Of course, I don't believe all lexus owners think this way but because it is a luxury car, owners are hesitant to do anything. That leads to a very conservative offset selection.

As far as respect, I understand your post and point well taken. I don't want my thread to come across as being disrespectful to other people's taste. Although the thread may come across this way, that is not my intention. My intention behind this thread is to have people open their eyes as to what is a minor modification and what is a major modification.
Okay, I understand your point a little better...but not really. I think most here are knowledgeable enough to know about fender mods. I've done it but won't again. Some of us are old enough to be some members father (at least I am). I've been modding since the 70's.....putting in my own sound systems, changing wheel covers and tires, etc. You went beyond trying to get a point across. You said you were frustrated others don't see it your way. That's where the line in the sand is drawn. Just be careful, just be cool.
Old 04-02-07, 09:19 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it is a gross generaliztion to say Lexus owners don't buy good fiting rims. I know many of my Lexus friends that went the VIP route and have very agreesive offsets and widths. Then you have guys like me who still want an aggressive rim package, but the wife also has to drive the car to work so there is a little compromise there. I guess if you are single, or the Lexus is your car specifically than you can do whatever you want with it. Kind of like how I did with my own weekend fun car Anyway, the rims going on my 99LS are Work rims 9.5F and 10.5 rear. Offsets are a conservative for true VIP, but it came off another car and so I'll run some spacers, but again, the wife will be driving this car so I'm compromising to preserve my rims and car from getting damaged. There was a time when I used to go ***** to the wall all out. Then I got married and had kids and now even though I may want to, I have to weigh the safety aspect with when rolling in a slammed car with negative offsets, negative camber and stretched tires all while my 3 year old son is in the car. Not saying it is unsafe, just that priorities change. That said, I'm still going to roll my fenders
Old 04-03-07, 11:09 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's all the rolling about...I just cut my fender out and no paint issues. All I did was jack the car up and tape the fender on the oustide took like 30 minutes and used a dremel tool with a fiberglass cutting wheel.
Old 04-05-07, 03:26 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I think this whole topic is like talking someone to death....and then whispering in their ear! We have gone over this topic so many times, and the camps are just divided, why not just leave it there?

I personally LOVE the VIP setups like my customer with the y33 on WORK DZ's (and yours too punch10 ), and I also think ALOT of Clublexus members love looking at those aggressive setups too! The thing is everyone is not willing to do any sort of modification to fit wheels to their cars, and its not only Lexus (or Clublexus as so many of the VIP guys love to say) owners. Its Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Corvette, etc.

The most consistent thing I hear EVERY-DAY must be:

"I want the biggest lip and flush to the fender, but no rubbing or hitting. I don't want to have to get into cutting or pushing my fenders out". Its just the way some people are.

Conversely, I have people with Lexus SC300's ordering 19x10 and 19x11.5 wheels! So it takes all forms. I also find that its based on location, I had a customer from NE that could barely find a shop to MOUNT his tires on his wheels, now imagine him trying to get his fenders pulled, or a stretched tire mounting job!

I'm sure that no offense was intended from the onset, but when you open a conversation with "Whats wrong with you" and and then proceed to say that something looks crappy or weak or whatever, because its not as aggressive as you like, someone is obviously going to feel a ways. I spoke to older Lexus owner the other day that asked me "whats up with these guys with Lexus' pushing their wheels past their fenders like a 1989 Suzuki Samurai? Looks stupid as hell to me." Now I'm sure if someone logged on to the VIP forum and asked that question, then there would be offense taken!

We all love VIP lip sizes, and aggressive flush fitments, but everyone doesn't want to go the distance to achieve it, lets not attack those that want to mount and drive.

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 04-05-07 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-07-07, 02:10 AM
ffgarage
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
I think this whole topic is like talking someone to death....and then whispering in their ear! We have gone over this topic so many times, and the camps are just divided, why not just leave it there?

I personally LOVE the VIP setups like my customer with the y33 on WORK DZ's (and yours too punch10 ), and I also think ALOT of Clublexus members love looking at those aggressive setups too! The thing is everyone is not willing to do any sort of modification to fit wheels to their cars, and its not only Lexus (or Clublexus as so many of the VIP guys love to say) owners. Its Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Corvette, etc.

"I want the biggest lip and flush to the fender, but no rubbing or hitting. I don't want to have to get into cutting or pushing my fenders out". Its just the way some people are.

Conversely, I have people with Lexus SC300's ordering 19x10 and 19x11.5 wheels! So it takes all forms. I also find that its based on location, I had a customer from NE that could barely find a shop to MOUNT his tires on his wheels, now imagine him trying to get his fenders pulled, or a stretched tire mounting job!

I'm sure that no offense was intended from the onset, but when you open a conversation with "Whats wrong with you" and and then proceed to say that something looks crappy or weak or whatever, because its not as aggressive as you like, someone is obviously going to feel a ways. I spoke to older Lexus owner the other day that asked me "whats up with these guys with Lexus' pushing their wheels past their fenders like a 1989 Suzuki Samurai? Looks stupid as hell to me." Now I'm sure if someone logged on to the VIP forum and asked that question, then there would be offense taken!

We all love VIP lip sizes, and aggressive flush fitments, but everyone doesn't want to go the distance to achieve it, lets not attack those that want to mount and drive.
Well said...
Old 04-07-07, 08:38 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Amen to Derrick's post.

These are mass-production Lexus cars we're talking about here, not a Bugatti Veyron... I personally have ZERO issues modifying a car like my Lexus.

Frankly, the rear fender trimming operation was quite easy, as was the front fender trim & pull. For me, the beauty is in the details; a "slam-dunk" fitment ALWAYS ends-up looking like everyone else's - I don't buy wheels at Sears.

I do respect others' right to NOT modify their cars, but they will never be able to achieve that wicked show/concept/SEMA car look unless they do. All those neat cars that are shown at SEMA every year... most of them were built aroundthe wheels.

Case in point: I was dropping my boss off at the RV store the other day and the sales & service guys (as well as a few customers) were all over my GS. The guys were all asking "does it rub?" and "how did you do that?"... I spent 20 minutes being interviewed about the car. Several guys pulled out their phones and even took pictures. Of course, the car was built specifically to get this kind of attention!

I am a detail-oriented kind of guy, and wheel fitment can MAKE OR BREAK a car, in my opinion. This is how I like it to look:

Old 04-07-07, 09:59 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I understand what you're saying punch10, I'm running 19x9 and 19x10.5+26 on my SC3 with a roll on all four ends. Some other people on the SC forums said that was too aggresive bla bla bla.....I found that funny because in person I get nothing but compliments. The majority of CL is on the conservative side when it comes to wheels and it seems mods in general.
Old 04-11-07, 08:21 AM
punch10
Driver

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT

Hey Derrick - what's up, it's been a while. I just want people to realize that fender lip cutting or rolling is nothing to be afraid of and a very minor mod. If you are willing to bend up or remove that lip, the wheel options increase. I think it's the fear of the unknown for many lexus owners. My next mod will be to flare the quarter panels and front fenders a good 20-25 mm - now that, in my opinion, is a major mod.

Quick Reply: Offset Selection: What is wrong with Lexus owners?