Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Offset Selection: What is wrong with Lexus owners?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-07, 05:57 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by punch10
I get so frustrated with Lexus owners because they are afraid to roll their fenders.
Uhmmm... Are you in the fender rolling business, by any chance?

You have to understand that people have their priorities... and most of them are different from yours. To each, his own.

Your priority seems to be focused on looks - nothing wrong with that.
Some folks just want a daily driver and don't want to do any mods that will compromise resale value.
Custom offsets can affect the suspension geometry, potentially compromising handling - you basically get into uncharted territory where you will have to experiment to find out the setup that works. And if you are like most folks, you don't have the time, the cubic megadollars, or the desire to deal with this (or all of the above).

I am not really clear why you are frustrated...
It is like saying: "I like white cars. GAHHHW-WWWWD! I am so frustrated that people are not buying white cars as much as they should!". Sounds kind of strange to me.

If you increase rear track more than the front, like we often see with the aggressive offsets, you increase understeer.
I think it is the other way around - increasing the rear track width makes for more oversteer (that's why most cars' front track is wider than the rear).
Old 04-12-07, 07:41 PM
punch10
Driver

If I was in the fender roller business, I would be broke : ), and yes, I am super frustrated that people drive around with the sunken battle ship look : ). Do you think I really care what Lexus owners decide to do with their car? My point was that a fender roll is an easy mod to do. I am sorry if people have fully missed my point.

As for a compromise in handling and suspension geometry, custom offsets don't really complicate handling and suspension. At least that is my opinion, but then again, I have prepared a few of my cars for autox solo 2 competition. The GS isn't the first car I have had with select offsets that require bodywork and it won't be the last. Hell, I am thinking about setting up this fat pig for a few runs on the autox course.
Old 04-15-07, 12:29 PM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

Volk LE37

19x8.5 (+29): 235-35-19
19x9.5 (+29): 275-30-19

Front/rear fenders have both been rolled. IMO, somewhat aggressive offset, and the wheels sit flush. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing

Allen
Old 04-15-07, 03:22 PM
edwin907
Driver

Originally Posted by Vlad_Stein
I think it is the other way around - increasing the rear track width makes for more oversteer.
Actually you're right Vlad. I was thinking about the radical increase in tire width, like going from the 255 to 285, which will increase understeer.
The increase in rear track will decrease understeer which possibly compensates for the increased tire size.

When I do my coilover installation and have to decide on spacer sizes, I'll be investigating these factors much further.
But for now, my IS350 handles wonderfully well with the 225 & 265 PS2 Michelins on 8.5" and 10" wide 19" rims very close to the factory offsets as recommended by OZ Racing.
Probably go with something like 8 to 10mm front and rear to keep the handling neutral like Punch said.
Might look like a "sunken battleship" but it doesn't handle like one.

Last edited by edwin907; 04-15-07 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-16-07, 08:59 AM
punch10
Driver

Originally Posted by 460LEX
I think that rolling and cutting gives the best look, but I would never buy a car that had it done. ? The seal for rust prevention has now been broken. This would be OK for awhile but for long term forget it. I am sure water and if you are in the mid west add a little salt and your fenders would be gone after one winter. The LS 400 had a break in the left rear top fender seam. It must of happened in the manufacturing process, you can feel it, and guess what, every LS 400 will rust at that point.
If you have a fender bender, you fix the panel, prime it and paint it. Rolling a fender is no different, if you pop the paint, you paint it. If you don't crack the paint, then you are fine and even if you crack the paint and don't re-paint, that doesn't guarantee rust. Typically, the pre-painted metal has a manufacturer applied protective anti rust layer.
Old 04-16-07, 09:38 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

A fender roll is aggressive on sum cars.

Ive got a very slow project car that im trying to build up to 'concourse standards'. I wouldnt get past the parking lot with my wheel fitment like that. And another that I wouldnt think of doing any custom bodywork on.

now, I do have a wide bodied S13 Silvia and a couple cars with fender pulls/rolls and its appropriate for them... but to make a blanket statement in regards to sumthing as subjective as 'Looks', just shows a narrow minded/trendy mentality. People tend to focus on what others are doing too much. It shows in the cars they build and comments they make.

I dont care who they are, or how much money they have....Theres just some cars that you dont do that **** to.
Old 04-16-07, 11:47 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you do it right there will be no damage, I did my own and came out perfect.
Attached Thumbnails Offset Selection: What is wrong with Lexus owners?-j_pics_007.jpg  
Old 04-16-07, 02:57 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd prolly consider myself a professional when it comes to bodywork, paint and composites.

Im probably (pretty sure) the first SC on CL running rear fenders like that back in 03 or so.

Im just saying that an 'alteration' is an 'alteration'. Id de-value any car (including my own) for rolls and pulls. I personally think the look kicks *** but I wouldnt do it to just any car.

If I took one of the other cars in for a trade ( or to sell ) Id look like an idiot trying to explain why I folded the quarter panels on a 70k car to fit some 3k rims.

Just my opinion tho...to each his/her own...your cars/dimes.
Old 04-16-07, 09:38 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=punch10;2523279]Neo - I honestly don't care what other people want to do with their wheels, the point I want to get accross is rolling the fender lip is not a major modification. It is clear to me that when people haven't done it before, it is the fear of the unknown. QUOTE]

It depends on the car and the materials. I wouldn't dare roll/pull my aluminum fender/body car. Some cars it is easy, some not so easy. If you can roll/pull an aluminum fender without deforming it or tearing it more power to you.

As Emerald mentioned above, for some individuals rolling/pulling a fender on certain cars in not an option for various reasons. For me, I have no problem rolling/pulling the fenders on my cars, but only on my cars that I want it done on.
Old 04-19-07, 11:33 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

What is it with the Lexus owners that aren't willing to roll their rear quarter panels to fit a flush wheel? I mean what is the point of buying aftermarket wheels that have a weak-*** offset and are sunk in? I'm not talking about a flair or a pull, I'm talking about a very minor pull or a roll of the lip. I just don't understand it. I've seen so many GSs with nice wheels that are considered safe from iForged or HRE because they don't have to roll the fenders. However, it just looks like crap to me and doesn't do the car justice.

Anyway, where are the lexus owners that have rolled the rear lips?
LOL I generally agree that it's nothing to be fearful of, and the cars look MUCH better with bigger wheels and tires that may require a little more clearance, depending upon how perfect the offset and tire size selection is. However, I would go with cutting instead of rolling. I've seen too many roll jobs (even by competent body shops) result in waves around the wheel opening, PLUS the roll won't allow as much clearance as a cut, so rolling is more 'sissy' than cutting (per your apparent definition ).

Re-painting the lip area (as someone suggested) is best avoided -- particularly on the mica paints that are common on Lexus -- because it's nearly impossible to get a permenant re-paint match on the mica paints, especially when viewed under certain lighting conditions such as afternoon sun, etc. An obvious re-paint around the wheel openings just says GHETTO job.

That said, my LS430 fenders are clearanced for my larger, aggressive offset 19s.
Old 04-21-07, 10:15 PM
punch10
Driver

Originally Posted by I6turbo
LOL I generally agree that it's nothing to be fearful of, and the cars look MUCH better with bigger wheels and tires that may require a little more clearance, depending upon how perfect the offset and tire size selection is. However, I would go with cutting instead of rolling. I've seen too many roll jobs (even by competent body shops) result in waves around the wheel opening, PLUS the roll won't allow as much clearance as a cut, so rolling is more 'sissy' than cutting (per your apparent definition ).

Re-painting the lip area (as someone suggested) is best avoided -- particularly on the mica paints that are common on Lexus -- because it's nearly impossible to get a permenant re-paint match on the mica paints, especially when viewed under certain lighting conditions such as afternoon sun, etc. An obvious re-paint around the wheel openings just says GHETTO job.

That said, my LS430 fenders are clearanced for my larger, aggressive offset 19s.
True : ). I had a bad experience with cutting, so rolling is my preferred method.
Old 04-21-07, 10:20 PM
punch10
Driver

Originally Posted by Emerald
I'd prolly consider myself a professional when it comes to bodywork, paint and composites.

Im probably (pretty sure) the first SC on CL running rear fenders like that back in 03 or so.

Im just saying that an 'alteration' is an 'alteration'. Id de-value any car (including my own) for rolls and pulls. I personally think the look kicks *** but I wouldnt do it to just any car.

If I took one of the other cars in for a trade ( or to sell ) Id look like an idiot trying to explain why I folded the quarter panels on a 70k car to fit some 3k rims.

Just my opinion tho...to each his/her own...your cars/dimes.
Your car looks nice. I will be flaring each corner of my GS a good 20 mm. It should be fun. That way it can match the flare on my 240.
Old 04-22-07, 01:24 AM
LexFather

Its a Lexus. Rolling Fenders are one of the last mods any luxury brand owner thinks about
Old 04-22-07, 05:55 AM
punch10
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its a Lexus. Rolling Fenders are one of the last mods any luxury brand owner thinks about
You know what's interesting. Mercedes comes rolled from the factory. I guess mercedes foresaw this dilemna .
Old 04-22-07, 06:42 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You know what's interesting. Mercedes comes rolled from the factory. I guess mercedes foresaw this dilemna .
I'm sure no one in a mercedes plant is rolling fenders. It's probably manufctured with a thin lip.

Quick Reply: Offset Selection: What is wrong with Lexus owners?