Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Firsthand experience of a General Exclaim UHP tire?...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-07, 03:23 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firsthand experience of a General Exclaim UHP tire?...

Hello, there!

I have recently replaced my rear tires with General Exclaim UHPs.
I was running 245/45/17 F and 275/40/17 R Bridgestone Potenza RE750s.
The rears were worn out, the fronts still have 5-8K in them. So, here I am with this mongrel setup. My only issue with the RE750s was the excessive noise - the handling is excellent, by my standards.

I have not had a chance to drive the car HARD with the new tires on, but...
Upon mounting the new rear tires, I noticed a strange effect.
When driving at freeway speeds (60-80mph), if I jerk the steering wheel slightly (to make the car move over ~1/2 - 1 lane width), the following happens:
  • The fronts start turning the nose (just like before).
  • Then, the rear pauses momentarily (this is new, but can be due to full tread depth of the Exclaim UHPs, compared to the baldy RE750s).
  • After the initial pause, the rear follows the front, but seems to "overdo" it a bit and come around too much.(this is definately new and somewhat disconcerting).
This manifests in the car moving further to the side than it used to, with the same amount of steering input, and also, doing it in a non-linear fashion. In other words, I smell pronounced oversteer lurking below.
I was able to trigger the stability control when going on an on-ramp at "normal" speeds (that I would not give a second thought to doing with the RE750s).
Needless to say, this is somewhat of a bummer and a confidence sap when driving.

So, I was wondering if this could be somehow related to the 'new tire coating' accounting for less initial grip and going away after a couple of hundred miles, or if this is the normal course of things for these tires?
Does anyone have firsthand experience with these tires and if so, can you please share your impressions of the tire, particularly the directional changes.

Any info is appreciated.
Thanks!