Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Bridgestone RE030 in Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-01, 10:38 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Bridgestone RE030 in Snow

So I figured I'd try to see how things would go in the snow without snow tires now that I got my LSD installed. I took a drive out along a four lane road where the speed limit is 50 MPH. There is a light snow falling and it's dark outside. We come up to a police car that is doing an accident investigation. The car is blocking off the left lane. As we go past everyone starts accelerating slowly back up to speed. I get to ~40 MPH when goodby nelly the rear end swings out to the right and I'm heading at a 45 degree angle towards the center median. :eek:

Luckily no-one was in the left lane, due to the accident before, because I ended up making an unexpected lane change. I kept it off the median and crawled back home. Now, it wouldn't suprise me if I hit some ice that caused the accident but the whole ride was not pleasant. The car was trying to slide when coming to a stop and didn't hold real well when moving away from a stop. They are not kidding, these are summer tires! (A duh!)

My winter tires are going on tomorrow!

Peter
Old 12-24-01, 01:01 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Peter,
I am glad to hear you got home in one piece. I took my car out (98 GS4) ONCE, once I tell ya, after a 3" snowfall for fun to see how the car is in the snow with the stock 17" tires. Forget it, I had the VSC light on constantly. Now I was reading your story and you are going 40MPH, I am thinking he's nuts, even with the LSD installed. I am just glad you were able to avoid an accident. Bottom line, DO NOT attempt to drive in any wintery precipitation event with the stock 17" tires, you are risking your life and the lives of others as well. I have my 16" all season winter tires and rims on and I am waiting for a snowfall to test out the LSD in the snow. In any event, have a Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.
Old 12-26-01, 09:15 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Right on GS430 GUY. I've got my winter only Blizzaks on now and the difference is like night and day. Unbelieveable how well the tires work in rain but totally give it up with < 1" of snow.

I had a Firehawk with snow tires and a LSD that had no problems with the snow. Last year I felt my GS (with snow tires but no LSD) was nowhere near as stable as the Firehawk. I am very interested to see how well the GS now handles the winter with snow tires and the LSD.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

Peter
Old 01-08-02, 07:08 PM
Mark
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same summer tire. Check out tire rack. We just had our first snow storm and my Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Asymmetrical is a great tire. It offers great snow traction. I do not recommend getting winter only tires.
Old 01-08-02, 08:26 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Mark: Why don't you recommend getting winter only tires? They have worked great for me.

I will admit though that I've been thinking (just a little) about getting all-season tires for my 17s when I upgrade to 18s this spring.

Peter
Old 01-09-02, 04:30 AM
Princeton
Driver School Candidate

I have the Dunlop SP5000 (225/55-16) as my nine month tires and Blizzaks (215/60-16) as my winter tires. The Dunlops are good, and the Blizzaks are better.
Old 01-09-02, 05:05 AM
Mark
Intermediate

Thanks for the info dude.
Old 01-10-02, 08:41 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default ECT SNOW - YEAH RIGHT!

All Season High Performance Tires seems like a great compromise, if you want consistency in not changing back and forth during seasons. I only wish there were a tire out there that could do both dry and snow the best.

But you are all right, even some light snow and little accumulation, the GS with 17" stock rims and tires, just doesn't feel safe at all. Slipping and sliding, I'm not even sure if that ECT SNOW button is any good at all. Maybe that button is there there to make us feel better about it all.

So can you help a guy in NJ that is looking for a set of winter tires? I would like to get 17" Wheels with a Snow Tire Package from Tirerack, but not sure if I should stay with the exact same size I have now with the stock 17's and 235mm.

Please advise your comments. Thanks for your help!
Old 01-11-02, 12:59 AM
Mark
Intermediate

Default Re: ECT SNOW - YEAH RIGHT!

Originally posted by lexguynj

So can you help a guy in NJ that is looking for a set of winter tires? I would like to get 17" Wheels with a Snow Tire Package from Tirerack, but not sure if I should stay with the exact same size I have now with the stock 17's and 235mm.

Please advise your comments. Thanks for your help!

Originally posted by Mark
Check out tire rack. We just had our first snow storm and my Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Asymmetrical is a great tire. It offers great snow traction.
Try the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Asymemetrical. They are all seaons and handles great in the snow. I am from CT and these are what I use in the winter time.
Old 01-11-02, 09:35 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: ECT SNOW - YEAH RIGHT!

Originally posted by Mark

Try the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Asymemetrical. They are all seaons and handles great in the snow. I am from CT and these are what I use in the winter time.
All Season Performance Tires is definitely the way to go and I know you CT people are tough up there during the winters. It would be nice to not to have to change tires each season.

Plus this gives me an excuse to get new rims with these tires, upgrading from the factory 17's to 18's, should I also go thicker too? I'll have to check the tire forums since a Newbie here.