Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

VERY Troubling Story From Bimmerfest...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 06:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by irv_usc
my question for the bimmer guy is why in hell is there so much wheel weights on the wheel?

this kind of points of something being way off. usually tire balance issues don't need so much weight unless the wheel is bent or out of round. perhaps it was cast improperly and not round?
maybe he didn't even know there were so many weights. it's probably the shop that doesn't care about telling customers about wheels having problem
Old 08-16-07, 06:47 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that's crazy.

A wheel might do something like that at 100,000 miles but brand new?

Is this a standard wheel on the BMW or aftermarket the guy put on himself?

I would definitely upgrade to a 3 piece wheel after that.
Old 08-16-07, 06:57 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by alexulan
that's crazy.

A wheel might do something like that at 100,000 miles but brand new?

Is this a standard wheel on the BMW or aftermarket the guy put on himself?

I would definitely upgrade to a 3 piece wheel after that.
relatively recent AFTERMARKET wheels from Sevas.
Old 08-16-07, 08:34 PM
JDM
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irv_usc
my question for the bimmer guy is why in hell is there so much wheel weights on the wheel?

this kind of points of something being way off. usually tire balance issues don't need so much weight unless the wheel is bent or out of round. perhaps it was cast improperly and not round?
Yea, I noticed that too but If I was the wheel guy and had to do that, I wont expect a wheel to flat out fail.
Old 08-17-07, 12:04 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this makes me feel satisfied to have OEM wheels.

honestly, I would have never expected to see a wheel fail in such a violent manner.

the wheel balance weights are an interesting thing to being up. while the wheel may have "balanced" in the way of rotation on the high speed balance machine, that much weight may have been applying great stresses to the wheel both radially and axially (ie. around the barrel and across the barrel). I would imagine these stresses would be magnified at highway speeds.

nevertheless, this should be a non issue. 99.99% of OEM wheels are cast, and they never fail like this. I know for a fact that lazy wheel and tire shops in town simply add new wheel weights to existing ones when they do their balancing. I would bet hundreds of wheels with hundreds of thousands of miles have this many or more wheel weights on them than this.

for this to have happened twice to the same wheel manufacturer: yikes. this proves the value in having a team of engineers working diligently to ensure that manufacturing processes are not only safe and good in theory, but also in practice.
Old 08-17-07, 03:58 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He is very lucky to get the car under control and prevent a rollover. With things like this happening I would stay away from Sevas.
Old 08-17-07, 07:05 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Just...WOW!

I like the looks of some Sevas wheels and had considered them an option. They're now off my list.

I'd like to hear D2's response and if he plans on keeping them [Sevas] in his lineup.

TX...thanks for the thread man.
Old 08-17-07, 09:50 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

just be glad that everyone is fine. with his family in the car, it could've been a dangerous situation. definitely sucks to to experience this kind of thing and put a bad mark on what could be an enjoyable trip
Old 08-17-07, 02:10 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

I never really liked Sevas wheels. They got really popular on here but I never felt that they were high quality wheels.
Old 08-17-07, 02:22 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't read it all, but is this person sure the wheel failed and then the tire failed? What was the order of events here? Anyway, this is a good article you should all read.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=13

Blow outs happen, almost always without injury.
Old 08-17-07, 06:01 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a set of Sevas on one car and still have a set on my wife's car. I haven't had any problems but two examples of cracked wheels concerns me a little. I'm going to change the wheels eventually and hope everything is okay until then. I don't think there is anything to panic about but Sevas does make lightweight cast wheels and they are made in China. With all the publicity over poorly mad products coming from Chine these days, I believe there is some real concern. Darn it, the new forged wheels I just bought were made in China too. Oh well!
Old 08-18-07, 01:47 AM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Terrible quality! And for the price they go for???
Old 08-18-07, 07:03 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks for sharing...I think its a bad batch of wheels made at the same time?
I have only had one reported incident of this occuring and my customer already has a replacement wheel en route to him. That being said, I advised SEVAS a week ago to issue a public statement regarding this issue (I had no idea how commonplace it was, since I only had 1 incident), I told the owner how forums work and once 1 or 2 pics were posted it was a uphill battle from there.

I was advised that all precautionary methods are being taken, any and all damaged wheels are being tested, to find the source of this issue.

That being said we will not be selling any of their 1pc wheels until this issue has been resolved.
Old 08-18-07, 07:49 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, scary stuff... Seems like everyone has a wheel line these days
and the quality control isn't always there.
Old 08-18-07, 08:01 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
And I'm the one who needs to be told this, because? Try telling the person who's comment MOST here would consider inappropriate.
dont worry bout that, but anyways, m glad his family is safe, but no way that should happen, yes stuff breaks, but when that stuff is the difference between life and death, i dont think it should break that easily

Quick Reply: VERY Troubling Story From Bimmerfest...