Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

problem: cant get lugnut off

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-07, 10:13 PM
lighthalo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem: cant get lugnut off

so i was going to take my wheel off to mess with my brakes, the first lugnut i pick to loosen, i start turning it and it takes a while to get loose. then i jacked the car up and removed all of the lugnuts except this one, it wont come off. it seems like the lug nut is sitting at the end (or near the end) of the threading because it wiggles around just like it is about to come off but it is stuck, maybe the threading (on the bolt or just on the lugnut) is messed up? can some one help me get this off? any suggestions?

ive tried tightening it again and then loosening it but it seems like it wont go anywhere. like it just rotates in place or something.
Old 10-08-07, 10:37 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Attach a pole to it....and HIT IT down as hard as you can....it will surely come off...
Old 10-09-07, 08:39 PM
lighthalo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Attach a pole to it....and HIT IT down as hard as you can....it will surely come off...
oh it turns but it just dosent go anywhere.. do you mean just try to break it off? lol.. i could give that a try haha
Old 10-09-07, 09:23 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

yes, once it gets that bad, it will need to be broken or cut off...

however, what I would do to start...

get the car on a jackstand, make sure it is secure... take all the lug nuts off except the offending one... rotate the wheel so it is at the bottom... now, take something like a 2x4 (to protect the wheel), and a sledge (I prefer a 5 pounder), and hit the backside of the wheel (the 2x4 really) and this should hopefully be enough to coerce the lug nut off.... a 8' 2x4 stretched underneath the car will be long enough if you don't feel comfortable reaching under the car to mash on this thing... (on a longer stretch, a larger sledge will probably be needed)
Old 10-10-07, 11:26 PM
lighthalo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
yes, once it gets that bad, it will need to be broken or cut off...

however, what I would do to start...

get the car on a jackstand, make sure it is secure... take all the lug nuts off except the offending one... rotate the wheel so it is at the bottom... now, take something like a 2x4 (to protect the wheel), and a sledge (I prefer a 5 pounder), and hit the backside of the wheel (the 2x4 really) and this should hopefully be enough to coerce the lug nut off.... a 8' 2x4 stretched underneath the car will be long enough if you don't feel comfortable reaching under the car to mash on this thing... (on a longer stretch, a larger sledge will probably be needed)

so i tried that today and its still not comming off... maybe im not hitting it hard enough?

any other methods?

i tried sawing with a blade but i cant move worth crap under my rim...