Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

dronel rims

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-02, 02:37 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

if all they want is to gain respect, then companies like Axis and ADR wouldn't be in business they'll be selling newspaper in newsstands or something.
That's the point! Of course respect isn't a reason to start a company. Making money is the reason...but I'd rather make money selling products I can be proud of...

Being someone who used to design things for a living, you can understand why I have no respect for knock-off manufactures in any field...
Old 01-29-02, 09:31 AM
enginyr
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by manaray
No, the difference is, is that Manaray Sport started off making higher end wheels. They didn't make the VR series until recently. Other brands, like ADR built their WHOLE BUSINESS MODEL on doing knock-offs and they do EXACT knock-offs with no shame. The VR's are not exact knock-offs (but I still don't think they should have ever made them)...

So Enginyr, what are you trying to get at exactly?

If you're trying to justify knock-off wheels, forget about it. There is no justification. Knock-off brands like ADR make wheels in the cheapest way possible. They just copy design so they dont' have to come up with anything original. It's all about maximizing their profits, not providing their customers with the best product. They're no better than companies that make fake Louis Vuitton bags or make fake Rolexes. How can you be proud to buy that kinda cráp? Just to say "I saved money"?

Like I've said, I think Manaray Sport was dumb for doing what they did with their VR line (it's interesting that they didn't just make less expensive versions of their wheels...)...this does tarnish their image to a lot of people including me...but at least it's only a small portion of their entire wheel line, not the ENTIRE line like ADR...

Luckily for the knock-off manufactures, there is no provision in the copyright laws for wheel designs (too bad!)

When a company like MANARAY makes a knock off like the VR5, its okay because they made it after they became popular (It Doesn't make cents)??? Doesn't that say they are "in it for the money".

Maybe dronell needs a couple hot rims to get they're company growing

And my ADR's are very good quality, have a nice lip unlike other bbs style rims. I bet you bend your HRE's before my ADR's
Attached Thumbnails dronel rims-lex46.jpg  
Old 01-29-02, 04:32 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by manaray

Luckily for the knock-off manufactures, there is no provision in the copyright laws for wheel designs (too bad!)
MANARAY, write to your local congressman and ask for SUPREME COURT intervention.

I'll sign your petition...but I'll have to probably unmount and hide my wheels first....
Old 01-30-02, 01:37 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

enginyr - I never said it was "OK". Plus the VR5 line is NOT an EXACT knock-off...for me, their designs are still too close andthat's NOT right in my book...I think Manaray Sports should have just marketed their existing wheels better...I don't talk to these guys so I have no idea what they were thinking...

Dronell could have done fine making their own designs. There are many companies that make ugly áss wheels (like Omega, Alba, etc.) that make plenty of money...now I still have SOME respect for Dronell as their knock-offs are, at least, of good quality.

As for ADR's...Tuners (who know more than me and you combined) use HRE, Work, Advan, Rays/Volk, Fikse, BBS, etc., etc...NO TUNER uses ADR. That should tell you something..."nice lips" isn't what makes a "good" wheel.

Is your sig correct? Shouldn't it be ADR M-Classics...not MDR?

As for bend, I bet I could crack your ADR's before my HREs...

Manuel - Hey, at least the Mahdi you have are REAL 2-piece wheels...I can respect that to a certain extent...and like the Manaray Sport VR5 line, they're not exact knock-offs...
Old 01-30-02, 08:22 AM
enginyr
Banned

Pointless arguing with you....keep up the good work
Old 01-31-02, 12:18 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

It's pointless arguing with me? You post the VR5 wheel and the LD1 and insinuate that the VR5 is a knock-off of the LD1...and then I say that I would **NOT** buy the VR5's...and then this whole thing starts...what was the point of posting those two pictures?

Just say what you mean instead of beating around the bush...

To me, it seems like you're trying to justify cheap knock-off wheels because even SOME manufactures( who do make higher end wheels) make them (but this is NOT the case with ADR...they don't make a high quality wheel). Hey, if you think it's OK to put a cheapie brand of wheels on your GS (the same brand that a LOT of ricers put on their cars), that's fine...at the end of the day, it's YOUR GS.

No doubt that your car LOOKS good with that STYLE of wheel (Look at Lextacy44's GS with the HRE540's...looks great!). Mesh is a good looking design, but for a lot of people, mere "looks" isn't the only thing that matters (Fake Rolexes LOOK like real Rolexes...but is it the same thing?) Some people just don't get it...
Old 02-02-02, 05:53 AM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manaray

Are my L-sportline Evo I good in your book?
knock off's?

just curious
ive seen 3 gs's with them and that kinda pissed me off
sometimes i wish i would of ordered some impossible to find import wheel like the kranze but thanks to the slowness of GT autosport it never happened

all in all im happy with my wheels
they have the same feel as lowenhart's
probably made at the same plant
Old 02-03-02, 12:37 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Erick - Hehehe, you know the Lsportline Model I Evo is good in my book. They're not a knock off and I believe that Enkei actually does the manufacturing for Lsportline...(dunno if it's all their wheels)

Yeah, it's nice to have the "only" set but hey, it's not just the wheels that "make" the car. I doubt the other guys had the Veilside kit...
Old 02-03-02, 08:27 AM
Wheel Experts

Actually, Takechi Project makes the wheels, but I believe it is subcontracted to Work (not 100% sure but the inside labeling looks mighty similar) who makes the Model I (Patented DDC rim construction). But Takechi is in charge of L-SPortline wheels, are they are over Maido, DAZZ, Racing Hart, and Lowenhart. Hence the similarities between the look/build of these rims.
Old 02-03-02, 10:49 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

guys,

work makes 85-90% of the hart wheels from takechi project..even the ultra high end, belsagio(sp?) with expensive sworski crystals as bolts on the DDC is from work...which means you cannot go wrong with either brand..

on a funny note though....l-sport now is being imported "back" to japan by takechi as a good old "USA" brand....we like jdm stuff, but japanese market adore many USA brands.....such as levis....

btw, the giovannas is now making its way to japan as well. i just read their ad in the lastest auto fashion EXE mag from japan. i guess this is what people meant bby " global economy..."
Old 02-04-02, 01:07 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Peter, are you sure about that? I just saw a L-Sportline wheel (Model 2 and 3) and they clearly had a ENKEI stamp on the inside...

I also noticed that the chrome on the one of the wheels was NOT the "JDM" chrome (the film), it looked like "American" chrome (of course, they owner could have had it done)...
Old 02-04-02, 04:37 AM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

i think i did see a "work" sticker inside my wheels
not sure but i've seen enkei wheels before and the chrome is totally different..

now im shopping for wheels for a ferrari
of course im window shopping till i pick out the car

manaray.. any suggestions?
chrome of course
19" i guess is the biggest i would go on a 360 modena
or maybe even 18"

here's a pic of nice wheels on a 360
not sure which brand they are but they are hot IMO

thanks

Last edited by Erick G; 02-04-02 at 04:40 AM.
Old 02-04-02, 10:53 AM
Wheel Experts

Erick G, those wheels are Lorinser LM5s. Your choices are HREs (recommended with reverse lip) Hamann PG3s, or the Lorinsers.

manaray, you are correct, the model 2 and 3 are enkei but the 1 and 4 are takechi/work.
Old 02-04-02, 07:56 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

lee

thanks
next time i need wheels, i will come to you first

keep up the good work
Old 02-05-02, 10:34 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

ErickG - Personally, I saw a 360 with HRE Model 543's and it looked PERFECT...some 19" Reverse Lip 543R's are the way I would go! Peter will give you good prices on HRE's!

Peter - Ah ha! Hmmm, guess Joey got a better deal with Work?

Quick Reply: dronel rims