Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Taking apart a 3 piece wheel to clean the insides

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-08, 04:37 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
meguiars is a good candidate. it also depends on the wheel finish. for anadized lips, brake dust won't eat into it even after a long time

but for hre wheels (or similar), polished lips with no clear coat, that's a huge pain. i know coz' i went through the same
My clear coated inner polished lips got all eaten up because when you wash with an aggressive cleaner there is a puddle of water rinse left at the bottom of the rim. If you don't wipe it out or you don't drive the car afterwards you could end up with a big water spot after it dries that won't come out. You have to rinse, rinse, rinse to minimize this. I rinse, wait then go back and rinse the inner lips atleast 3 times. I still go through with a towel to dry it out because after 5 min, there is another puddle of water at the bottom.

The proper care and feeding of inner polished lips takes a whole lot more attention, then wheels with only outside polished lips.

But it sure looks nice when it's clean . ; )

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-17-08 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-17-08, 04:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

oh, now i see your problem. thank god my barrels are just normal metal. it would be a royal pain to stick my hand in there
Old 01-17-08, 05:19 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
At this point I no longer trust any type of wheel cleaner on my rims or my brake calipers. Even the less aggressive cleaners, seem a bit too aggressive on my non-clear coated HRE lips and my oh so precious red AP Racing calipers.

Meguires has a mild wheel detailer; that's all I'm using right now. I think it's pretty much the same stuff as the Detailer Spray they sell for painted surfaces, except this wheel spray is supposed to be for brake dust and anodized surfaces.

If you let the brake dust settle on the rim and caliper too long you might not have a choice but to use a true wheel cleaner. If so, then I do have some trust with Meguiars for that job.

As far as getting into cracks, what location are you talking about, the corner between the center section and the rim lip where the two parts meet?

I usually take an old credit card or something similar and fold a microfiber cloth over the card then stick it in that crack with some Meguiars spray.
Yes, I'm talking about where the face and the lip meets. Water always comes out of there after a wash and I know there's dirt deep inside of it. What do you guys do after it rains? I'll try the credit card thing.
Old 01-17-08, 06:30 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
My clear coated inner polished lips got all eaten up because when you wash with an aggressive cleaner there is a puddle of water rinse left at the bottom of the rim. If you don't wipe it out or you don't drive the car afterwards you could end up with a big water spot after it dries that won't come out. You have to rinse, rinse, rinse to minimize this. I rinse, wait then go back and rinse the inner lips atleast 3 times. I still go through with a towel to dry it out because after 5 min, there is another puddle of water at the bottom.

The proper care and feeding of inner polished lips takes a whole lot more attention, then wheels with only outside polished lips.

But it sure looks nice when it's clean . ; )

Okay, I got it and I feel your pain. I have polished barrels too. I use Mothers Mag Wheel Polish. Boy it is a pain polishing those barrels. Good thing the wheels are 5 spoke but it's still a pain in the butt.
Old 01-17-08, 10:02 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

chris, soap and water for my works and dry w/microfiber towels.only my lip is polished, inner barrels are just dull metal. but i take my wheels off the car every other month and clean the hell outta them (outer and inner). in fact, i gotta do this next month and put the stocks on.
Old 01-18-08, 12:32 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks Jason. Is it bad to drive in the rain with 3 piece wheels? Sometimes it can't be avoided.
Old 01-18-08, 08:54 AM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
chris, soap and water for my works and dry w/microfiber towels.only my lip is polished, inner barrels are just dull metal. but i take my wheels off the car every other month and clean the hell outta them (outer and inner). in fact, i gotta do this next month and put the stocks on.
Soap and water with microfiber are your best friends for JDM wheels. However, I believe Work has the anodized lip as mentioned by others here not polished . I am sorry if I am being critical here in terms of terminology. It is to my surprise that some vendors or retailers are not using the right term of the JDM wheel finish (brush aluminum being one of them). Correct me if I am wrong, but I have not seen any JDM wheel has "Brush Aluminum" finish listed. (sorry for the OT)

As to clean the wheel, I WILL NOT clean anything other than car wash soap or dish wash soap (I tried this one before, appear to be safe). Taking multiple pieces wheel out for cleaning purpose I think its a little over due but each to his own. I remember my Gewalt Type M 3 piece on my 97' SC was never the same after they were reassembled (after a reputable car wash place damaged my wheels) after resurfacing the lip.
Old 01-18-08, 09:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispy
Thanks Jason. Is it bad to drive in the rain with 3 piece wheels? Sometimes it can't be avoided.
you might get vibration if the rain is big enough and you are at certain speed. that's due to the water "stored" in the barrel channel.

and yes, GSXOTIC is right on the finish. i haven't seen such thing is brushed aluminum on jdm wheels. it's either silver paint, or silver polished, which looks a bit like brushed aluminum but with a much better finish
Old 01-18-08, 05:45 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispy
i try to avoid driving in the rain, but i do. c'mon chris, in the end, they're wheels and made to be driven on...well, at least thats the way i see it. but i'm pretty meticulous about mine. hehehe! just try to minimize your rain driving, cause all the debris/oil from the streets cant be all that great for the wheels, unless you're cleaning them within a reasonable amt of time when you get home.

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC
However, I believe Work has the anodized lip as mentioned by others here not polished . I am sorry if I am being critical here in terms of terminology. It is to my surprise that some vendors or retailers are not using the right term of the JDM wheel finish (brush aluminum being one of them). Correct me if I am wrong, but I have not seen any JDM wheel has "Brush Aluminum" finish listed. (sorry for the OT)
gsxotic~thanks for the correction and i'm glad my cleaning process is of the norm. i've actually never thought to use anything else!

Last edited by 4ntvings; 01-18-08 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-23-08, 07:38 PM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one uses Simple Green to wash their wheels?
Old 01-27-08, 06:33 PM
LexFather

The key if you want to use a cleaner is to make sure it doesn't have any "Acids". I believe the bright green bottle Formula 3000 is the only wheel cleaner with no acids.

Also don't clean in bright sunlight and don't allow anything to dry.

I used some acidic crap and it eat through the clearcoat on my diamond polished Weds when I was a newb