Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tires - Soft AND Quiet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-08, 07:42 PM
jekoda
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tires - Soft AND Quiet?

I’ve searched and read many posts regarding tires, lots of good info. I currently have run-flats that came with the car when purchased – capable, but harsh and noisy; after 20k miles its time for replacement.

Which tires offer the best combination of soft/smooth and quiet?

Last edited by jekoda; 01-23-08 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-23-08, 07:48 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get either Michelin Primacy HP or PS2!!! Either one you can't go wrong!!!
Old 01-23-08, 08:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ps2? prepare to change it often
Old 01-23-08, 08:32 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

PS2 aint cheap either, easily $200-250 more a set vs pole positions or F1 GS-D3s
Old 01-23-08, 09:30 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jekoda
I’ve searched and read many posts regarding tires, lots of good info. I currently have run-flats that came with the car when purchased – capable, but harsh and noisy; after 20k miles its time for replacement.

Which tires offer the best combination of soft/smooth and quiet?
Michelin Energy MX4s - pricey but good
Old 01-23-08, 09:34 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
ps2? prepare to change it often
Yeah, I heard they wear fast and even the PS1.
Old 01-23-08, 09:36 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Assuming you have the 18" wheels on the car...

If you don't want runflats, I would choose the Bridgestone RE960A/S or Michelin HX MXM4 - these are going to be the quietest, most touring style tires available...

If you do want runflats, things are going to get a little rougher, but there are still some decent options... Bridgestone ER33 or EL42 are your only real good touring options in that size, runflat...

Those are your quiet / comfortable tires... If you want something more performance oriented, then the Michelin PS2 or Bridgestone RE050 would be good options, but give up comfort a little due to stiffer, more performance oriented sidewalls...
Old 01-24-08, 12:53 AM
socalpat
Driver School Candidate

jekoda,

I have spent many dollars (and miles) on a plethora of tires, and must confess that I'm a bit of a tire-freak. Despite the prospect of boring you to death, here's a thread in which I had contributed several postings to:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=13288&page=2

Well, now I own a '07 GS350 (truly the sweet-spot ride for me). I bought it off the showroom floor at year-end. I got a fantastic deal (thanks Steve!) on the exact car I wanted, (sans the chrome oem rims -- gratefully alloy's are en route); and complete with oem Yokohama Advan A10's, which I hate...

Do yourself a simple favor. Go to tirerack.com and have a set of Pirelli PZero Nero M&S tires sent to your favorite local tire shop (no tax / minimal shipping charge). You can have them mounted and balanced at the afore-mentioned local shop, which you can also find on the site (complete with reviews and mounting costs). These were the last set of treads on my GS400 (which I believe has a comparable weight to your ride). They are quiet, smooth-riding, and undeniably the best set of tires I had on the GS400. They will definitely be going on my new GS as well.

As for taking recommendations from all model owners... no disrespect, but you truly should only seriously consider the opinions of fellow GS owners when it comes to this subject. It just makes simple sense. We have our own unique issues to deal with (uh, can you say $1G for "recommended" ball joint replacement?). Although die-hard GS aficionados’ might publically scoff to such "recommendations", it's likely that most will take proper care to quietly have them done. Just goes to show that in the numerous Club Lexus events in which I've attended, it's the GS owners that are most enthused with the true pursuit of perfection.

Now go getcha' some new treads!
Old 01-24-08, 05:39 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dont expect anything to be very soft, considering the short sidewalls. they will make a difference compared to the rf's, but it won't be like driving an LS with 16" wheels!
that being said, kumho makes an excellent tire that always impresses first time buyers. i've installed them on every type of lexus, jaguar, audi, land rover, nissan, and more. during my final test drive, the kumhos are just as nice as any so called top of the line, over priced tire.
make sure your alignment is spot on too. if your alignment is off anywhere, it iwll wear the tires unevenly making them noisy far before they should be.
Old 01-24-08, 05:57 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by 19psi
dont expect anything to be very soft, considering the short sidewalls. they will make a difference compared to the rf's, but it won't be like driving an LS with 16" wheels!
that being said, kumho makes an excellent tire that always impresses first time buyers. i've installed them on every type of lexus, jaguar, audi, land rover, nissan, and more. during my final test drive, the kumhos are just as nice as any so called top of the line, over priced tire.
make sure your alignment is spot on too. if your alignment is off anywhere, it iwll wear the tires unevenly making them noisy far before they should be.
I think Kumho makes a decent tire, but you can definitely not compare it to a top end Michelin or Bridgestone tire... back to back, they are typically quieter, wear better, and ride smoother... I sold Kumho's for years, and while they make a decent tire, like I said, it just can't be compared... I had a few sets on my own vehicles, and now run BFGoodrich tires (for performance, not quiet)

I will add one definite thing - make sure you rotate your tires - in addition to the alignment that was suggested, if you don't rotate the tires often enough, it will adversely affect tire wear and can also cause more noise and uneven wear...

The Pirelli Pzero Nero has been a decent tire as well, but in terms of quality, well, lets say, it wasn't my favorite tire - I had good luck, for the most part with them, but had a few tires that would just not run good, no matter what, and a few defects as well... In comparison, with Michelin and Bridgestone 4+ years old...
Old 01-24-08, 07:06 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, you're right, they can't hang with a big name tire if you compare their top end series tires. for most people though, th emiddle of the line tires compare very favorably.

i agree also about the pzero nero, they're ok, but not quite as good as i expect out of something like that.
Old 01-24-08, 08:16 AM
Shep34205
Driver School Candidate

Default yay

Originally Posted by socalpat
As for taking recommendations from all model owners... no disrespect, but you truly should only seriously consider the opinions of fellow GS owners when it comes to this subject. It just makes simple sense.
Thanks for pointing this out... every car is different, as is every driver. To assume the best tires for me and my SC are the best tires for you and your GS is pretty ignorant... which is why I try to keep my posts in the SC forum... even though some of them get moved quite promptly.

In my experience as a tire shop manager I have grown to dislike runflats. They ride like crap, they dont last long at all, they are a PITA to mount and they cost a ton. Lately the manufacturers have been using runflats as a way to avoid finding room for a spare. I'm not sure if the GS comes with one or not but you should take that into consideration if you are going to a non run-flat tire.

I have to agree that as far as performance tires go, the PE2 rides very nicely. The PS2 is actually (according to Michelin) a smoother riding tire... but it's tread life rating is lower. Also, both of these tires are considered a summer tire and are not made for snow and ice.

Good luck to you on your tires,

Christopher Shepherd
Shepherd Tire, Inc.
Old 01-24-08, 09:36 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

IT IS ALL ABOUT THE WAY WE DRIVE!!!

Initially my GS came with infamous Yokohama Advan A10B, they were the nosiest tires I had ever owned.

My service advisor at Sewell first replaced them with Michelin PS2, but later with Michelin Primacy HP(for some reason PS2 was not approved by Lexus).

After 9,000 miles on Michelin Primacy HP, they still have those rubber stubs on them like when they were still new!!!
Old 02-05-08, 05:38 PM
NAV
Driver School Candidate

1. In general, does the 235/45R17 Michelin Pilot Primacy has better tread life than the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2? The Primacy is more comfy and quieter?
2. My current tires are Z rate. Do I have to stick with Z rate tires? I prefer comfy and quiet rides over ultra performance.
Old 02-05-08, 08:04 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by NAV
1. In general, does the 235/45R17 Michelin Pilot Primacy has better tread life than the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2? The Primacy is more comfy and quieter?
2. My current tires are Z rate. Do I have to stick with Z rate tires? I prefer comfy and quiet rides over ultra performance.
Yes, the Primacy is designed to be a longer lasting, softer tire... the PS2 is Michelins highest performance street tire..

What was the stock speed rating of your vehicle - you should not deviate below what it came with, however it is up to you if you should choose to... I will not install a lower speed rated tire on my customers cars - I feel it is doing them a disservice, and it opens up the retailer for potential lawsuits and such....

Quick Reply: Tires - Soft AND Quiet?