Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

if air is leaking from.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 08:25 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default if air is leaking from.....

on sunday I brought my car in to get the tpms but into my iforged rims. when they finished everything was fine. two days later the tire was completely flat. so I took the rim off and brought it to work with me. When I was at work i tried to put air in it but it started to leak right away. I was able to find the leak at the bead. so after work I brought the rim back to the tire shop and left it there. I got it back the next day put it back onto the car and in the morning I got a call from my GF saying the low air light is on and its the same one.

so if air is leaking from the bead is it fixable?
Old 02-01-08, 09:14 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 510 Likes on 382 Posts

Are you sure there is not a crack in your rim?
Old 02-01-08, 09:58 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

uhhh it was never leaking before they touched it....i was driving without the tpms for a couple of months without any problems.
Old 02-01-08, 07:43 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have seen that many times before... assuming you have a low profile tire, my bet is that while dismounting your tire to get to the air sensor, they ripped the bead of the tire to an extent that it is not making good contact with the wheel...

when you took it back, I'm sure they realized what they did and put some sealer on it which slowed the leak considerably... I would bet my next paycheck it's leaking from the exact same spot...

they owe you a new tire... our policy is that if we damage a tire like that (even with years of experience, it is sometimes unavoidable), that we replace it for the customer...

now lets see how reputable of a shop you went to
Old 02-02-08, 04:14 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

yup they said they put in bead sealant. I will talk to them and see wassup. and its wheel works so i think they should be able to replace it...
Old 02-06-08, 03:18 PM
Shep34205
Driver School Candidate

Eh, its possible. I'm a tire dealer, so I hate accusing the tire guys until you have some proof. The first thing I would ask is are the rims new or used? If they are used and the lip has rust or even enough dirt in it that can cause a leak. If the bead has not been ripped by the installer (which IS very possible)
then the first thing to do is have them hit the rim lip with a light sander/polisher to get a clean surface and then, yes, paint it with bead sealer.

However, if the bead IS ripped, dont let them avoid responsibility... theres really no other way to rip a bead during normal operation of the vehicle, so dont let them blame you.
Old 02-06-08, 06:14 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Shep34205
Eh, its possible. I'm a tire dealer, so I hate accusing the tire guys until you have some proof. The first thing I would ask is are the rims new or used? If they are used and the lip has rust or even enough dirt in it that can cause a leak. If the bead has not been ripped by the installer (which IS very possible)
then the first thing to do is have them hit the rim lip with a light sander/polisher to get a clean surface and then, yes, paint it with bead sealer.

However, if the bead IS ripped, dont let them avoid responsibility... theres really no other way to rip a bead during normal operation of the vehicle, so dont let them blame you.
I'm a tire dealer too, but I have had many run ins with smaller shops (and sometimes bigger shops, as well) that try to cover up stuff like this, and, unless you sit there and watch, you never know what they are doing inside the tire...
Old 02-06-08, 08:53 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shep34205

rims are 6 months old, never leaked at all until I finally decided that i wanted the tpms sensors back so the annoying dash lights would go off. right now I had another wheel works look at it and they did something and now it doesnt leak at all so far. I havent drove it on the freeway yet so.....
Old 02-07-08, 05:39 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by wolverine
rims are 6 months old, never leaked at all until I finally decided that i wanted the tpms sensors back so the annoying dash lights would go off. right now I had another wheel works look at it and they did something and now it doesnt leak at all so far. I havent drove it on the freeway yet so.....
well, lets hope it's ok... you should have looked at the tire yourself while it was off the car...