Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

iForged wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-08, 06:21 PM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by nate579
...Don't drive in the rain in them, they collect water in the center and throw off you balance. You can't drive above 55-65mph in the rain...
WOW I've never heard that before. Anybody else have the same experience?
Old 04-21-08, 06:18 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Any updates on the adapters? Ohh and what about HRE...do they need adapters like Iforged?
Just about any wheel can use them, and yes HRE uses adapters too

Here are the pics

90 degree adapter

Straight Angle Adapter

Old 05-11-08, 06:18 PM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KayGee
WOW I've never heard that before. Anybody else have the same experience?
That's interesting. I have noticed a front end oscillation problem in the rain above 55. I've been trying to figure out what it could be and have bought new tires, had multiple wheel balances, changed brake pads, etc. I have notice that when I wash the car, some water collects at the bottom of the inside of the wheel.

Has anyone else had front end oscillation/balance issues in heavy rain?
Old 05-12-08, 07:38 AM
rroy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nate579
Don't drive in the rain in them, they collect water in the center and throw off you balance. You can't drive above 55-65mph in the rain.
I experienced this problem for the first time over the weekend... VERY annoying. Although I absolutely love my wheels (on dry roads), I wont be buying another set because this. The groove in the center that collects the water is to add strength; but a major flaw in my opinion. Do most high-end wheels have a similar problem?
Old 05-12-08, 07:42 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Not just iForged with this issue.... I've had that same problem with my HREs as well, but don't drive in the rain that often (heavy or otherwise - only when I get caught out in it going to a meet or show).

There is a thread on this issue somewhere - many 3 piece wheels have this problem depending on their design. edit - here it is https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=rain especially good explanation from our resident wheel engineer Bob in post #38

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-12-08 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-12-08, 11:06 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rroy
I experienced this problem for the first time over the weekend... VERY annoying. Although I absolutely love my wheels (on dry roads), I wont be buying another set because this. The groove in the center that collects the water is to add strength; but a major flaw in my opinion. Do most high-end wheels have a similar problem?
Although that ridge does add wheel strength, that is not the primary reason it is there... On wheels with large front lips, the tire has to be "reverse mounted" or, mounted from the backside of the wheel. To accomplish that, there has to be a "drop center" for the tire to drop into to allow it to slide over the rim during mounting... Wheels without a large lip account for this drop center where the spokes or face of the wheel attach. The drop center has to be within about 2 inches of the outermost face of the wheel, or else it has to be relocated to the backside of the wheel and reverse mounted.
Old 05-12-08, 11:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it's a common problem on almost all 3 piece wheels. that's due to the design of the barrel. the thread by bob says it all
Old 05-13-08, 10:15 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
Also they now have TPMS adapters that allow you to fit the sensor to the 3pc valvestem (the one that goes in a 90degree angle and comes out the front), and the 2pc valvestem (the ones that on the inside of the wheel). So there is no need for a 2nd hole.

I have the 3pc ones on my new wheels for the VIPER. I'll post some pics of the adapters later. They are cheap too, 65.00 bucks for a set.
I bought those adaptors from IForged. They are very well designed. No need for a second hole with these adaptors. Personally, I think the fewer holes in my rims the better!
Old 05-18-08, 11:35 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They jack wheel designs and pictures too . pretty nice wheels tho.
Old 05-25-08, 08:23 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Ok that seems like a lot of work just to get new wheels why can't those aftermarket manufactures make their wheels fit like regular ones?

On another question...if I buy wheels from iforged will they send me those valve stems along with those TPMS and lug bolts so I can have it installed without running around trying to find the pieces to complete it?

Oh and does know what kind of TPMS Mercedes use on their cars? Especially 2008 models.
Old 05-27-08, 06:00 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Ok that seems like a lot of work just to get new wheels why can't those aftermarket manufactures make their wheels fit like regular ones?

On another question...if I buy wheels from iforged will they send me those valve stems along with those TPMS and lug bolts so I can have it installed without running around trying to find the pieces to complete it?

Oh and does know what kind of TPMS Mercedes use on their cars? Especially 2008 models.

The lugs and tps adapters can be included. If you get 2pc modular or 3pc the valvestem is also included.

I don't know what you mean when you say what kind of TPS does MB use.
Old 05-27-08, 12:31 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT

I don't know what you mean when you say what kind of TPS does MB use.
What I meant was the type of TPMS used as there are several different ones out there, I assume some are made out of different standards like being able to read actual pressure # and some only give out warning when tire pressure is low but no pressure numbers.

But if the wheel package includes all that it is less of an issue.
Old 05-27-08, 08:01 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

What I meant was the type of TPMS used as there are several different ones out there, I assume some are made out of different standards like being able to read actual pressure # and some only give out warning when tire pressure is low but no pressure numbers.

But if the wheel package includes all that it is less of an issue.

Oh ok gotcha, we have a 07 Rclass, I "think" I can see the pressure (I'll double check tomorrow)
Old 06-06-08, 02:57 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

i just received a set of "90 degree adaptors" and all they are are some metal clips, hardly worth $60 at all.

what i got is definitely not

so someone is bait and switching or false advertising. regardless i don't know how i'm supposed turn this clip thing into the pic above.
Old 06-09-08, 08:38 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Dang that's no good. Can you post a few pics of what they sent you?

Originally Posted by uschardcor
i just received a set of "90 degree adaptors" and all they are are some metal clips, hardly worth $60 at all.

what i got is definitely not

so someone is bait and switching or false advertising. regardless i don't know how i'm supposed turn this clip thing into the pic above.

Quick Reply: iForged wheels?