Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

What is the difference in strength 22's 3 pcs Vs 22's 1 pc?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-08, 11:50 PM
lisalisa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is the difference in strength 22's 3 pcs Vs 22's 1 pc?

Hi everyone..

I've been trying to debate over some wheels for my car. Im looking to get 22's 1pc over 3 pcs bc im so bad when it comes to bending wheels. Would anyone know the difference in strength wise compared w/ the 1pc vs. 3 pcs? I've heard that the one pc is stronger, but how much? Ive also thought about 20's but I love the way the 22's look. Can anyone give me input... it would be greatly appreciated..

thanks
lisalisa
Old 04-05-08, 07:57 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lisalisa
Hi everyone..

I've been trying to debate over some wheels for my car. Im looking to get 22's 1pc over 3 pcs bc im so bad when it comes to bending wheels. Would anyone know the difference in strength wise compared w/ the 1pc vs. 3 pcs? I've heard that the one pc is stronger, but how much? Ive also thought about 20's but I love the way the 22's look. Can anyone give me input... it would be greatly appreciated..

thanks
lisalisa
just that one is one piece vs one is 3 piece does not make either wheel stronger... manufacturer has more of an effect...

however, if you are bad at bending wheels, I would maybe just not get 22's... seems like the obvious answer for me... I run a 30 series tire on a cheap, cast aluminum wheel, 19" and they are perfectly round... others have problems with expensive forged wheels bending...

its more driver than anything, really...
Old 04-12-08, 03:28 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its also the construction process. Lowenharts are 3pc wheels that are cast, and they are notoriously soft. WORK has 3pc cast VS-XX that are very durable. Then there is forged which are more durable than cast.

The main point is you can bend ANY wheel, so dont' think that forged is indestructable, they are just stronger than cast.

I had 22" 1pc wheels on my 7series while I was waiting for the MODULARE's to be built, I never bent them (they were heavy as all hell though) lol

VOSSEN 1pc stuff is a good balance of weight, durability, and price, IMO
Old 04-12-08, 08:22 PM
lisalisa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
Its also the construction process. Lowenharts are 3pc wheels that are cast, and they are notoriously soft. WORK has 3pc cast VS-XX that are very durable. Then there is forged which are more durable than cast.

The main point is you can bend ANY wheel, so dont' think that forged is indestructable, they are just stronger than cast.

I had 22" 1pc wheels on my 7series while I was waiting for the MODULARE's to be built, I never bent them (they were heavy as all hell though) lol

VOSSEN 1pc stuff is a good balance of weight, durability, and price, IMO
I'm leaning towards the 22' portofinos vs the 20's. its for the LS460L so really, everyone is telling me the 20's are way too small. I love the look w/ the 22', but for some reason im terrible when it comes to pot holes on the freeway.

does anyone have actual pictures of what an LS460L w/ 20's portofinos would look like. I know they have the pics w/ the 22's but ive looked all over for the 20's. if anyone has one..or seen one can they please send me the link or post it..

thanks!
Old 04-12-08, 08:59 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by lisalisa
I'm leaning towards the 22' portofinos vs the 20's. its for the LS460L so really, everyone is telling me the 20's are way too small. I love the look w/ the 22', but for some reason im terrible when it comes to pot holes on the freeway.

does anyone have actual pictures of what an LS460L w/ 20's portofinos would look like. I know they have the pics w/ the 22's but ive looked all over for the 20's. if anyone has one..or seen one can they please send me the link or post it..

thanks!
I'm going to have to agree and say that 20"s are a bit small.

Here's a link to a silver LS460 with 20" Portofinos. The wheels do look kinda small but with a drop I think they'd look okay.

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/...669/photo.aspx
Old 04-12-08, 11:17 PM
lisalisa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Seize
I'm going to have to agree and say that 20"s are a bit small.

Here's a link to a silver LS460 with 20" Portofinos. The wheels do look kinda small but with a drop I think they'd look okay.

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/...669/photo.aspx
oh wow, thanks! i kinda knew it wouldnt look as good. do u think that if i got the 22's maybe a different size tire would help? what size tire would i use anyhow? any other suggestions i might be able to use to help protect the wheels?

thanks so much!
lisalisa