Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

So you think your new tires are new? Think again!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 01:16 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default So you think your new tires are new? Think again!

I'm glad I buy new model tires and usually from Tire Rack.
For example..Sears selling 12 year old 'new' tires.

http://abcnews.go.com:80/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-02-08 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-02-08, 01:37 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good info.

i didn't know that either.

high volume sales like tire rack will have new tires.

next time i buy my tires at a local shop, i'll watch out.
Old 07-02-08, 01:38 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, that sucks. well as long as its not dry rotted, then i couldnt see the big deal.

Charley
Old 07-02-08, 04:22 PM
FRSHbread
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i first heard about this i went straight to my car to check out how old they were. definitely going to check my tires when i buy new ones. that is so dangerous.
Old 07-02-08, 07:25 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

oh my god...

this is like the 3rd or 4th time that this has come up on this board already... it is not nearly as bad as they are making it out to be...

12 year old tires, sure, issues there... for the most part, real tire retailers cycle through their inventory so fast that they (we) don't have a chance to keep a tire in stock more than 6 months...

more importantly, more deadly, and more common than old tires being problems is the current conditions of the tire on your car currently... dry weather cracking, punctures, damage, irregular wear, possible defects, as well as about a hundred other issues with the tires that may be on your car right now are much more important than worrying about how old the tires you are buying are...

Since this news clip aired, I've kept track of all of the tires we've sold, which is well over 1000, and the oldest tire we've sold was 3407, which is just a little less than a year old... but then again, not all retailers are as pro active as we are about rotating stock...

so, worry about it, sure, but if you are going to make a big deal about it, make a big deal about the fact that a huge percentage of the tires on the road today are underinflated, and underinflation is the #1 cause of premature tire wear, premature tire failure, and complete blowouts...

http://www.dot.gov/affairs/nhtsa4601.htm
According to this study, 27% of all cars on the road have one or more tires underinflated (8 psi low or more), and 32% of all light trucks (same 8 psi or more low)
Also, according to this study, 49-79 people per year are killed due to tire failure/low tire pressure, and over 10,000 are injured!!!!

But, it's hard for the press to sensationalize something that is the consumers fault - it's easy to attack tire retailers...
Old 07-03-08, 10:07 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
oh my god...

this is like the 3rd or 4th time that this has come up on this board already... it is not nearly as bad as they are making it out to be...

12 year old tires, sure, issues there... for the most part, real tire retailers cycle through their inventory so fast that they (we) don't have a chance to keep a tire in stock more than 6 months...

more importantly, more deadly, and more common than old tires being problems is the current conditions of the tire on your car currently... dry weather cracking, punctures, damage, irregular wear, possible defects, as well as about a hundred other issues with the tires that may be on your car right now are much more important than worrying about how old the tires you are buying are...

Since this news clip aired, I've kept track of all of the tires we've sold, which is well over 1000, and the oldest tire we've sold was 3407, which is just a little less than a year old... but then again, not all retailers are as pro active as we are about rotating stock...

so, worry about it, sure, but if you are going to make a big deal about it, make a big deal about the fact that a huge percentage of the tires on the road today are underinflated, and underinflation is the #1 cause of premature tire wear, premature tire failure, and complete blowouts...

http://www.dot.gov/affairs/nhtsa4601.htm
According to this study, 27% of all cars on the road have one or more tires underinflated (8 psi low or more), and 32% of all light trucks (same 8 psi or more low)
Also, according to this study, 49-79 people per year are killed due to tire failure/low tire pressure, and over 10,000 are injured!!!!

But, it's hard for the press to sensationalize something that is the consumers fault - it's easy to attack tire retailers...

It's great that you sell 'new' tires but others like Sears don't.
I can't believe a tire that sits for 12 years is as good as a tire on the shelf a year.
BTW,you should be happy about that report.
That report will boost tire sales.
Old 07-03-08, 10:13 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Joeb427
It's great that you sell 'new' tires but others like Sears don't.
I can't believe a tire that sits for 12 years is as good as a tire on the shelf a year.
BTW,you should be happy about that report.
That report will boost tire sales.
It sure does boost tire sales, but for a reason that is not really as much as reality as that report makes it seem..

I definitely don't work for Sears, but I would imagine that a 12 year old tire was a pretty singular issue, and you'd be hard pressed, even before the report to find a tire that old anywhere...

All retailers I've ever dealt with will put tires that are starting to get old on special, and make it known to the customer... this typically happens with any tire 2 years old...

Again, I can't speak for all of them, but most retailers know how important tire age is, and are very pro active about it... As I said, it is something to worry about, but it is very minor in comparison to something much more important, such as tire pressure and overall condition...
Old 07-03-08, 11:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
It sure does boost tire sales, but for a reason that is not really as much as reality as that report makes it seem..

I definitely don't work for Sears, but I would imagine that a 12 year old tire was a pretty singular issue, and you'd be hard pressed, even before the report to find a tire that old anywhere...

All retailers I've ever dealt with will put tires that are starting to get old on special, and make it known to the customer... this typically happens with any tire 2 years old...

Again, I can't speak for all of them, but most retailers know how important tire age is, and are very pro active about it... As I said, it is something to worry about, but it is very minor in comparison to something much more important, such as tire pressure and overall condition...
No doubt tire pressure and overall condition are just as if not more important.
The report does make the consumer aware of the tire build date.
Although that report has been posted a few times,many here like me haven't seen it before.
Old 07-06-08, 02:36 PM
Redpaste
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my mom just had all her tires replaced at the MB dealership for her S430.
The front ones say 0308, which are fine. But the rear ones say 3003, which means they are 5 years old, sold to be "new." Should I be worried about this?
Old 07-06-08, 02:48 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Redpaste
my mom just had all her tires replaced at the MB dealership for her S430.
The front ones say 0308, which are fine. But the rear ones say 3003, which means they are 5 years old, sold to be "new." Should I be worried about this?
3003? seriously?

I would ask for a different pair...

what tires did they install?
Old 07-06-08, 05:52 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think I'd be all that happy with 5 year old tires being sold at full price, and as brand new. Sad MB stealership, sad.
Old 07-07-08, 12:59 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

good to know about this...thanks guys!
Old 07-30-08, 09:20 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

what does this mean?
Old 07-30-08, 09:23 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
what does this mean?
it means if you want to know the date code, it's on the other side...

DOT codes are 11-12 characters long, the first 7 or 8 have info like the size, plant it was manufactured at, and the style, the last 4 that you are missing are the date code...
Old 07-30-08, 09:47 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

oh well i just bought these tires from tirerack, should be new.....right?

Quick Reply: So you think your new tires are new? Think again!