Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tire Has A Lump

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 12:25 AM
MELODY7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Has A Lump

So I went in for my 5k service. I previously had ran over a huge rock with my front right tire and for some reason it created a lump on the tire that is located on the outer part of the tire where you insert the tire dressing. I told my service rep that I had never ran over anything but I had no luck being that they have dealt with this problem before and that my tire took a hit. He said to replace the tire and installation it would cost about 425. I said WHAT?!?!?! Crazy. So I'm thinking about contacting a city that has a road with many pot holes that I take when coming home from school to see if they do something because someone told me you can make a claim. Does anyone know where I can get cheap new Yokahama tires? Any good sites? I can't believe this would cost half of what the G-Spider wheels cost.
Old 07-10-08, 01:48 AM
mnkyprince
Driver School Candidate

haha, thats exactly what happened to me, ran over a pothole on freeway...=(
i know 425 sounds crazy, it is...i just left it though....
Old 07-10-08, 04:53 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

There are probably a dozen places you can get it, try tirerack.com or just google the tire model and see what pops up....Since they are fairly new tires, you can do a rotation and simply throw it in the rear. cost is ridiculous.....you dont get tires at a dealer, unless they are doing something special for you like a free swap or something...
Old 07-10-08, 04:58 AM
MadDawg350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, but you're S.O.L. with trying to make a claim against the city. They will very likely tell you that it was a road hazard, won't cover your damages and have a nice day.
Old 07-10-08, 08:28 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Which dealer did you puchased your GS from, didn't they offer you "Road Hazard Warranty" on tires and wheels.

I got my for less than $400, for 4 years.

I have already made 2 clamins already, saved me lots of $$$!!!

I would go back to the dealer and see if you still can purchase the warranty if they do offer it.
Old 07-10-08, 11:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

just get a new tire elsewhere and replace it for cheaper
Old 07-10-08, 11:41 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Not all dealers offer a "road hazard" warranty for the tires. That's all dependent on the individual dealership to offer such a service.
Old 07-10-08, 01:54 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

That was the 1 smart decision I made when purchasing my GS -- signed up for the 5yr road hazzard coverage and it has been the best investment hands down. I've had to make 3 claims thus far: 2 tire sidewall bulges and 1 warped rim (we've got the best roads here in Houston). For low profile tires, the coverage is absolutely a smart buy!

The dealer charged around $450+ each time to swap out the damaged tires (Yokohamas) for new ones and about that much for a new rim, but not a single cent out of my pocket.
Old 07-10-08, 04:28 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
Not all dealers offer a "road hazard" warranty for the tires. That's all dependent on the individual dealership to offer such a service.
Sorry I did not know that, just because the Lexus dealerships in DFW all do offered "road hazard" warranty... so I assumed is part of the offers during purchase process.

I guess they realized that roads in DFW sux!
Old 07-10-08, 07:11 PM
bokmeipai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MELODY7
So I went in for my 5k service. I previously had ran over a huge rock with my front right tire and for some reason it created a lump on the tire that is located on the outer part of the tire where you insert the tire dressing. I told my service rep that I had never ran over anything but I had no luck being that they have dealt with this problem before and that my tire took a hit. He said to replace the tire and installation it would cost about 425. I said WHAT?!?!?! Crazy. So I'm thinking about contacting a city that has a road with many pot holes that I take when coming home from school to see if they do something because someone told me you can make a claim. Does anyone know where I can get cheap new Yokahama tires? Any good sites? I can't believe this would cost half of what the G-Spider wheels cost.
It happened to me when I had 400 miles on car, hit a pothole. I took it to lexus and complained about it and even though it was my fault they replaced my tire for a new one FREE ! as a "Goodwill Gesture". Maybe you can give it a try? I wouldn't leave it like that, the tire is a runflat and sidewall is compromised and can fail at anytime.
Old 07-10-08, 07:54 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't think hers is a runflat - all the same, do get it replaced as it does indicate a weak spot on your sidewall and that can cause you more significant problems down the line.
Old 07-10-08, 11:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have lost several wheels to pot holes and road debris. My brother is an attorney and says that we can file a claim with the city. But good luck collecting, and what a headache.
Old 07-11-08, 02:03 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by EXP_Cougar
I don't think hers is a runflat - all the same, do get it replaced as it does indicate a weak spot on your sidewall and that can cause you more significant problems down the line.
yup... something like that can fail at any time, and then you don't have a lump in the sidewall, you have a failed tire that can potentially damage the fender and wheel well... body damage isn't cheap, in comparison, a tire is...

Yokohama - try Tire Rack and Discount Tire...
Old 10-07-08, 11:24 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What all Road Hazard services are out there? I had autoclub and it changed over to another comany and now TN isn't a state they cover for wheel and tire replacement. I am in the market to get some insurance for all three of our vehicles. Can someone tell me what all is out there, I have checked Sears and Tirerack already. Is there anything else....?