Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Quite, Comfy tires for LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-08, 07:34 PM
RAristo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quite, Comfy tires for LS430?

Hi guys,

I need some advices on a set of quite and comfy summer tires for my LS430. The dry/wet traction is important but certainly not crucial. It's not like it rains much in LA or I will take LS430 to the track. :-) Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-08, 06:10 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity
Michelin MXM
Old 08-28-08, 11:16 AM
RAristo
Lead Lap

I do not see those two tires available at Costco, Just Tires, and Discount Tire. Anybody has other suggestion. This is for the OEM replacement.
Old 08-28-08, 03:15 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What size or sizes are you running on that bad boy?
Old 08-28-08, 06:08 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. nuff said.

steviej
Old 08-28-08, 07:06 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by steviej
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. nuff said.

steviej
If he said performance, I'd agree, but why have to live with a tire that only gets 20-30k on a set, whereas the Bridgestones or Michelins will last double that...
Old 08-29-08, 01:28 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
If he said performance, I'd agree, but why have to live with a tire that only gets 20-30k on a set, whereas the Bridgestones or Michelins will last double that...
I would have to say the goodyear assurance Comfortread seems right down your alley. Just purchased 2 SLIGHTLY used (3 months, 1000 miles) ones for the civic. Got the pair for $100, (they are 130-160 brand new @retail, ~$100 each brand new at DTT or TR) for my size, so either way i figure im saving money. I will go purchase 2 new ones and throw them on the front, and throw the slightly used on the rear so as to even the wear out....though it doesnt matter...my mom had a set on her 06 camry she got 87,000 miles out of.
Old 08-29-08, 06:28 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I would have to say the goodyear assurance Comfortread seems right down your alley. Just purchased 2 SLIGHTLY used (3 months, 1000 miles) ones for the civic. Got the pair for $100, (they are 130-160 brand new @retail, ~$100 each brand new at DTT or TR) for my size, so either way i figure im saving money. I will go purchase 2 new ones and throw them on the front, and throw the slightly used on the rear so as to even the wear out....though it doesnt matter...my mom had a set on her 06 camry she got 87,000 miles out of.
Those tires are OK, and the people that don't have problems with them are typically very happy... however, I have seen a somewhat high rate of failure with them when compared to the Bridgestone or Michelin lineups...
Old 08-29-08, 10:50 AM
RAristo
Lead Lap

Hi guys,

My LS only has the stock 18", meaning 245/45/18. Thank you all for your comments. I'd researched on Goodyear Eagle series as well. The bottom lines are Yoko is around the same or slightly less expansive than Goodyear AND according to Tire Rack, Advan S4 has received a lot of praises by users and Tire Rack itself.

I was in need of replacement soon so I opt with Yokohama Advan S4. I've been a big fan of Bridgestone. This will be my first venture to Yokohama. Hope the tires won't be disappointing. :-)
Old 09-03-08, 03:26 PM
vintagebob
Rookie

These would probably fit the bill.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nSpeedRating=H

I switched to these on my Toyota Prius and I was amazed at how quiet and comfortable they were. Too bad they don't make them in a size that will fit my 08 IS250 with 18" wheels.
Old 09-05-08, 03:34 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RAristo
I do not see those two tires available at Costco, Just Tires, and Discount Tire. Anybody has other suggestion. This is for the OEM replacement.
You can custom order tires at Costco. Just give them the specs and they'll bring them in.
Old 09-05-08, 04:33 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I hesitate to post as I have not had them on for very long but Bridgestone Turanza Serenity are the quietest tires I have had on my GS4 by a lot. I got them at Discount Tires in San Jose. They don't list them on their website but they carry Bridgestone and had no problem getting them, took about five days.

Very smooth riding. I finally ripped the F1 GS-D3 off the car because the nuff said I would say about them is that like most performance tires, the howl drove me absolutely nuts. Handling doesn't impress me if the every second noise is driving me nuts.

My problem with modern tires is that they wear out from the noise standpoint long, long before they wear out the tread so it is very unfair to talk about these after only a week because when you put the new tires on they make a huge difference. But if the Serenity's stay like this they have found a fan.

Only other minor point I can make is that while most makers claim to have some protection for the rim, the Bridgestones have a very noticeable ridge in the rubber about an 1.8 of inch from the rim. I suspect they won't help in the event of a big smack but at least they have put something on their to help keep the rim from getting ground up.
Old 09-07-08, 11:04 AM
LexFather

DaveGS4 raves about his Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on his LS 430. Haven't ridden in it a few times I agree.
Old 09-13-08, 07:59 AM
RAristo
Lead Lap

After a few hundred miles, I'm happy to report that Yokohama Advan S4:

(1) has much better traction than stock Dunlop. The car is more stable and even my parents notice it! I can drive the car more confidently.
(2) is as quiet as the stock tires which is a good plus. Yokohama might even be slightly quieter than stock but maybe because my old stock tires were worn out.
(3) you can feel more about the road than stock Dunlop, meaning it is not as floating or "comfy". However, when I drive freeway, I cannot tell the difference. I only feel a slightly harsher ride when driving at local at lower speed. But it shouldn't bother anybody. It's still a LS430. :-)