Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tire Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-02, 07:12 AM
markgs300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Advice

Sorry to post this here but i didn't get any responses in the suspension section.

I'm looking for a set of tires that will significantly improve the GS3 Comfort while not losing Handling and cornering. Is there a tire that will improve comfort over the Factory tires? A Tire Rack guy suggested the Dunlop 5000 Sport. How about going to an H rated tire? Would I lose any significant handling if I did this? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-15-02, 08:09 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to have the Dunlop SP5000's on my factory 17's and I enjoyed them. Nice, quiet and smooth. They provided very good grip, but were somewhat mushy in the corners. Overall I would recommend them.
Old 02-15-02, 09:57 AM
Princeton
Driver School Candidate

Default Tire Advice

I have Dunlop SP5000s on my GS as the 3 season tire. Very pleased.
Old 02-15-02, 11:15 AM
(f)-LEX-ible
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try the Yokohama AVS db. I have some now and I love them. Very smooth, very quiet. They handle well too.

Oh, and they are W rated.
Old 02-15-02, 11:25 AM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

If you don't mind spend a little more, you should try the Bridgestone S-03. They grip like you know what..........
Old 02-15-02, 11:28 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

both avsdb and the sp5000 are excellent..also consider bridgestone re730.....

if you can wait for another 1-2 months, the new yokos avs es100 is very very good for traction..
Old 02-15-02, 11:54 AM
markgs300
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Kajukenbo
If you don't mind spend a little more, you should try the Bridgestone S-03. They grip like you know what..........
Ha, Thanks. I ordered them for my Vette 1 week ago.
Old 02-15-02, 11:56 AM
markgs300
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Kajukenbo

Those help, esecially the yoko. I'm familiar with Tirerack (who recommended the Dunlop) so I did reviews on the Yoko. Wow, the majority were impressed by the quietness of the tire. Many thought the RE730's were a bit noisy. I also thought about the Bridgestone Turanza REVO. The reviews on that were some of the best I've seen. I may choose between the Turanza and the Yoko's because quite is a priority but I don't want to lose handling. I wonder why the Yoko's are so cheap though, when you compare them to the Bridgstones or the michellins?
Old 02-15-02, 12:56 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Having put AVSdbs on my wife's Maxima I can vouch for most of your comments. I am also a good student of all our marketing hype and nonsense and it takes some effort to remember that more expensive doesn't always mean better. The AVSdb is a very impressive tire. Far and away the quietest I have experienced but the other thing is that it is a surprisingly good handling tire in both the wet and dry, far superior to the Michelins we had just before the swap. We had to order the Yoko's and they were probably two thirds of the cost of the Michelins. I cannot vouch for tread life but for every quick metric (handling, ride, noise) the Yoko's are superior to the Michelins and Pirellis we have normally used. I hate having it proven to me that often with pricing you are paying for brand name rather than product but the Yoko's are very impressive. I think gs4will has posted that there will be a new Yoko out shortly (AVS-100?) that will be a next generation db but I haven't seen anything on it. William, if you are here, what's the word?
Old 02-15-02, 01:21 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Ron,

i agree with you 100% on the fact that consumers are often the ones who pay for the billions spend on corporate marketing. i too often wonder much higher prices on the good old michellins..:eek: i guess someone has to pay quite a bit of $$$ to get that good looking little baby to sit inside the michellins and smile..

on the new yokos avs ES100/aka DNA grand prix in japan, words are that they will be available this springs, after they were well received in japan for 2 years...i saw the tyre at the LA auto show, truly impressive UTQG #s of 280 AA A..though there is no word on the prices yet. the AVS DB will still be avaiable, and the AVS ES100 will be slotted between the AVS SPORT and AVS DB...
Old 02-15-02, 05:27 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

William - Cool. Did I read correctly on one of your other posts that this new Yok will be quiet, in the range of the db? Not trying to gush too much but I got exposed to the Yok's with AVS intermediates on my MR2 and really grew to like them (and if you want to talk about fast tire wear talk to someone with a Turbo MR2 or NSX). The db's are very impressive, regardless of the price, not just the quiet. They have turned me around when it is time for the GS, still thinking of T1-S but those doggoned db's are just that good. Maybe you could refresh us as to what this ES100 is and do you have any update on when they might show up?

Thanks,

Ron
Old 02-15-02, 10:30 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Ron,

in the es100 printed ads, it does say that the tyre's noise level will be close to that of the avs dbs...but, we shall see...you know how advertising work

ahh, the avs intermediate, one of the best grips tyres and shortest life span. i know few nsx and carrera owners usually have quite a few of those in their garage as spares...i heaed the ~life on those are ~10kmiles...

i like the tread pattern on both the dbs and toyo t1-s..but as you mentioned, the prices on the dbs are just too good to be true...when they first came out ~1.5 year ago, the dbs were actually even cheaper. i guess folks at yokohama knew they have something positive going for them, so $10/tyre increase have took place recently. funny eh, i actually track tyre prices..
Old 02-16-02, 07:39 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Yoko AVS db on the LS. Very quiet, like riding on air. Traction is very, very good. W-rated and uni-directional only.

One issue: My LS's bad alignment caused the tire to have uneven wear on both sides and it resulted in tire noise (I thought the axle bearings are wearing out on me).

Otherwise, satisfied.
Old 02-17-02, 08:22 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Hey William, so what is the rest of the story on the ES100? Where will it fit into their lineup performance wise. My wife just gets more and more pleased with her db's and like I said, and whitels seem to also verify, the handling is quite good. We had to order them, used the local Americas Tire Co., and the guys were really chatty when we picked the car up. We were the first one that ordered the tires and they took it around the block a couple of times and were also impressed. Still don't think they are going to stock them but they will get them, took about three days.

Actually the intermediate lasted longer than bridgestones on the MR2 turbo but you are right, like the NSX it could chew up rear tires pretty quickly. The intermediates were far less prone to aquaplaning than either Bridgestones or Michelins on the MR2 which was a nasty problem, just no weight up front.
Old 02-17-02, 09:42 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Ron,

i was told by the tyre guys at the show that the es100 will be slotted between avs sport and avs db....and only up to 18s will be imported first

Quick Reply: Tire Advice