Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Front tire wear issue, please read.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-08, 06:24 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I suppose ya'll could sue Lexus like they are trying to do with Nissan...

IMO, that's frivolous as all hell...

You buy a sports car and complain when the tires wear out quicker than you think they should...

I actually just did a quick search and there are complaints about every manufacturers sporty cars... People are complaining about premature tire wear on NSX rear tires (imagine that), BMW M3 tires, EVO tires, 350z tires, you name it... I guess the manufacturers could go to like a 225/55-16 and some super conservative alignment settings on all cars... sure they wouldn't handle well, but the general population would be happy that they had tires that lasted 50-60k miles and didn't cost a lot to replace...

The question I pose is where is the happy medium? How many miles should an ultra high performance (V or Z rated tire) last on a sporty car? Personally, I think 20-30k is a good amount.
Old 12-28-08, 11:25 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have this issue as well, it has to do with the Toe out I believe, I don't have any sign of thread belts or anything like that but they are slicks at the edge, about an inch of the edge is slick, I'm a bit scared about keeping them on, I'm getting some Nitto Invo's to replace the fronts by Friday. The rears are at 7/32nds with even wear, the front is just disappointing, but luckily the Nitto's are non-directional so I can rotate them left-to-right. At least for how while I get myself a nice set of wheels.
Old 12-29-08, 04:24 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

my front tires are going out as well.. got em like 5-6 months ago.. The Nitto Neogens inner treadblock is noe smooth =[ but the outside and middle looks new for a 5month old tire. Im pretty sure its due to bad Toe angle since my car pulls right really bad on the free way. i would have to hold my wheel at 11:25ish to keep the car straight. Time for an alignment!

however my Nitto Invos are holding up well for rear tires. least that doesnt have bad toe like the front =/
Old 12-29-08, 05:07 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
my front tires are going out as well.. got em like 5-6 months ago.. The Nitto Neogens inner treadblock is noe smooth =[ but the outside and middle looks new for a 5month old tire. Im pretty sure its due to bad Toe angle since my car pulls right really bad on the free way. i would have to hold my wheel at 11:25ish to keep the car straight. Time for an alignment!

however my Nitto Invos are holding up well for rear tires. least that doesnt have bad toe like the front =/
Get an alignment it's not good that you have to hold it a certain way for it to stay straight, if it persists, get a road force balance on your front tires, or on all four, I'm getting the Invo's this Friday, hopefully all will be good
Old 11-20-19, 04:03 AM
myersian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dangerous tire issue persists!

I am new to this forum and Lexus.
I have just purchased a 2018 is300.
After changing my tires to winters I noticed the extreme inner edge tire wear.
To all the people who are laughing and saying what do you expect when you but a sports sedan? then my answer is I expect a safe car!
I can live with high wear rates but not unsafe inner edge wear which is hard to see if you are not aware of it.
This is shocking that there is no fix from Lexus!
How many blowouts have occurred because of this?
Has anyone had any positive responses from Lexus or are they still saying its normal wear?

Ian