Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Do I HAVE TO get TPMS if I buy aftermarket wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-08, 09:01 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Do I HAVE TO get TPMS if I buy aftermarket wheels

My question has probably been asked 1000 times , but searching has turned up nothing quickly..

so I am thinking of buying a set of ASA rims from the tire rack
I wanted to know if it is absolutely nesessary for me to buy a set of TPMS?

and I mean I plan on keeping my OEMs for a winter set up with the Goodyear all seasons on them and not swapping the TPMS from them to the new wheels

I mean just getting a new set of wheels and tires for a summer set up but installing them without TPMS all togther.
or will my TPMS system freak out and give me some light on the dash that wont go off until it sees some TPMS on the car?

thanks in advance

and its an 06' IS350 - dont think that matters but ...
Old 12-03-08, 09:56 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, but you'll have to deal with the TPMS light being on.
Old 12-04-08, 05:56 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

yup... light will be on, probably flashing...
Old 12-05-08, 08:43 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TireRack sells the exact TPMS sensors that you would need. You can have up to two sets of sensors programmed in your car. This is covered in you manual. See what they charge for each, it is a lot less then getting them from Lexus (even online). TireRack will send you a fact sheet listing the codes so that the tire/wheel does not have to be unmounted to get the codes. Any Toyota dealership or good tire shop should then be able to program them in for you. Be advised, if you take them to a Lexus dealership, they are going to charge you close to if not over $100 just to program.

The extra money spent is worth not having to see the warning lights constantly being on.

steviej
Old 12-06-08, 02:35 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steviej
TireRack sells the exact TPMS sensors that you would need. You can have up to two sets of sensors programmed in your car. This is covered in you manual. See what they charge for each, it is a lot less then getting them from Lexus (even online). TireRack will send you a fact sheet listing the codes so that the tire/wheel does not have to be unmounted to get the codes. Any Toyota dealership or good tire shop should then be able to program them in for you. Be advised, if you take them to a Lexus dealership, they are going to charge you close to if not over $100 just to program.

The extra money spent is worth not having to see the warning lights constantly being on.

steviej

Good Advice.. I am putting my rims on next week so I'll have to do more research on this. Thank you
Old 12-06-08, 06:28 PM
CBG
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went through all that as I just bought new ASA rims and new tires from tire rack with new sensors. All mounted and balanced already from Tire Rack.com.
The Lexus dealer said they needed to take the new tires off the rims to program the new sensors for $350-$400 and it would take 4 hours labor. I knew,(thankfully from this forum LOL), that having to take the tires off the rims was NOT neccessary to program the sensors. I took my car to a Toyota dealer and they programmed all 4 new sensors for $84 in about 1-1/2 hours. Lexus dealers think their customers don't do any homework about what is needed and what is not needed to do certain work on our vehicles.

The only problem so far is getting Tire Rack to send the right size lug nuts for my car. The original set sent with the new rims and tires were too big. So they sent me overnight, a second set of lug nuts and those are too big also. The place that put my new rims and tires on my car have given me a temporary set of lug nuts for my car but they are not the nice chrome set that is supposed to be on my rims. I am still trying to get this resolved.

Last edited by CBG; 12-06-08 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-06-08, 08:25 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think I'll just get the sensors...that flashing light will eventually get on my nerves...so thanks for the input !

I'm pretty tech savvy so as long as there's a fact sheet with codes...I should be Ok to program myself

$400 is crazy!...but yeah u pay for what u dont know---which is why the more u know the more you save especially when dealers look to rape you over some BS like programming sensors.

and Tire Rack will take care of you man...with those lug nuts - they are the best!...I have been buying from them for years wheels and tires ...plus a couple sets already mounted and balanced...they stand behind their sales...and support is EXCELLENT!--had nothing but good experiences with them.

again thanks all for the input!
Old 12-13-08, 11:42 AM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just put my rims on this week and the flashing light is annoying me. I guess I have to buy the sensors from TireRack now. Thanks for the advice. This was very helpful.