Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

HREs Really that good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-09, 07:17 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have the HRE 547Rs on my car for the past 3 years. has been a daily driver from the day i got it back in 2002. thus far it's survived me hitting potholes on freeways going to san rafael and in SF.
Old 01-23-09, 08:30 PM
NealM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did all the research back several years ago when I was looking for wheels for my vette and I was down to HRE and Iforged wheels. Both dealers buy the parts from the same company and finish them at their on place. The Iforged were about 30% cheaper at the time in a group buy so I went with them. Both come with the same warranty. The ones I bought were a true 3 piece alloy aluminum wheel in a high polish finish. If I had it to do over again I would get the chrome lips instead of the polished aluminum because it is so hard to get tires mounted without scratching the lips. Also, if you get a very wide rim and tire be sure to have it road force balanced.

Just my .02

Old 01-23-09, 08:44 PM
NealM
Driver School Candidate

one other note to add, I see several threads here talking about the TPS on aftermarket wheels. I had this same issue to deal with on my Iforged on the vette. What most guys do on the late model vettes is buy new TPS and cut the valve stem off, then epoxy the sensor to the deepest part of the wheel (so the tire bead will slide over). It will NOT come off. Mine have been on for years now with no problems.

another .02
Old 01-23-09, 08:50 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NealM
one other note to add, I see several threads here talking about the TPS on aftermarket wheels. I had this same issue to deal with on my Iforged on the vette. What most guys do on the late model vettes is buy new TPS and cut the valve stem off, then epoxy the sensor to the deepest part of the wheel (so the tire bead will slide over). It will NOT come off. Mine have been on for years now with no problems.

another .02
There are also bands you can buy that have a bracket that holds the TPMS sensor in place, completely whole... that way if you ever want to switch, all you have to do is loosen a band clamp... I believe both Tire Rack and Discount Tire have these
Old 01-24-09, 06:22 AM
NealM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
There are also bands you can buy that have a bracket that holds the TPMS sensor in place, completely whole... that way if you ever want to switch, all you have to do is loosen a band clamp... I believe both Tire Rack and Discount Tire have these
Yep, I know of guys that have used the band clamp but I have also heard of some coming loose.
Old 01-24-09, 05:04 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NealM
Yep, I know of guys that have used the band clamp but I have also heard of some coming loose.
If they came loose, it's cause they were installed incorrectly... it's a big hose clamp, tighten it properly and no worries, older Vette's used this same style air pressure sensor, and newer Fords as well...