Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

19's or 20's? Lsportline or Lowenhart?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-02, 08:52 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Erick G: I love your ride man. Very, very clean.
Old 03-10-02, 10:31 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Erick, your car looks great. What type suspension do you have?

Ken, your BR5s are tight also...the more I think about it the tougher the decision gets, right now I'm considering the BR5 20" silver...seems to compliment the car very well. Well I getting either BR5s or MI Evos this weekend...will post pic Sunday.
Old 03-11-02, 02:04 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GSDreamer - Either wheel is a nice wheels. Personally, I think the forged lip Lsportline would be a better pick if you're on the fence about either design. The ONLY thing I don't like about the Lsportline is the use of Japanese chrome (which is a funky chrome film...hard to describe). Then again, I'm not a chrome fan...too bad they don't offer it with a diamond cut finish...but the BR5's are a great wheel also. If you like the design of the BR5's then go for it...you won't be making a mistake either way.

Personally though, I think a silver or diamond cut finish with a chrome or high polished lip is the best look for any color car. But that's just my opinion.

As for the suspension, why not just step up to coilovers? I can probably get you a deal on some APEXi World Sport coilovers. No dampening adjustment like the Tein's, but the APEXi's ride better IMO and trust me, I don't have dampening adjustment (on my H&R's) either and I've never missed it...

Tthe best part about coilovers is that you can control the height of the car rather than getting some pre-determined height...what happens if the car's not low enough? You have to remember that with 20's, your car will sit higher than stock and higher than with 18's or 19's...so a 1" lowering job won't look the same as a 1" lower job on a car with smaller wheels...just a though....
Old 03-11-02, 06:49 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Manaray- From my previous experience, if you have larger wheels, like 20''s you would just need 1''~1.3" inch drop to make it look perfect, but on the 18''s the optimistic look would be almost 2'' dropping.

Larger rims require less dropping to minimize the wheel gap, I have been through that with the 18''s ~20''s. what do you think?

I figure if you are going with 20''s springs/shocks would satisfy your need, but u shall really consider coilover if you are going for 18'', usual 1~1.5'' are just not enough.

just my 02
Old 03-11-02, 08:32 AM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Manaray, I have already ordered the ltuned shocks & springs from Steve Ganz. I believe ltuned suspension will do trick w/20...but I have noticed some cars with them seem to look a little too high up front.

gsintensive, are you pleased with the look and ride w/20's and ltuned?

I think I going to have to see both wheels up close before I can decide...this is sorta like picking out an engagement ring for your girl.
Old 03-11-02, 05:01 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

20''s ride very smooth on L-tuned and L-tuned ONLY. I've tried several coilover, I just couldn't stiffness. Keep in mind that L-tuned offers 1.25'' drop front, and 0.9'' drop rear to have more cleareance for the back seats. That is very cruisal to us 20''s ride. Since the front drops lower, so mostly you won't have the "front too high".

I am very pleased with the l-tuned look with the 20''s, it provides almost perfect wheel gap = ). I just gone wider 20''s so it gets even better/lower.

I will post a pic as soon as I get my car back from dealer. Stay tuned.
Old 03-11-02, 08:27 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Thanks guys for all the input. After going up to Sprewell Racing today and checking out the wheels up close, I have decided to go with the Lsportline Model I Evos, but I won't be buying them from them quoted me a price that was over $1000 more than I had gotten elsewhere. I should find out tomorrow if the shocks and springs are coming in this week...if not I think I will go ahead at get the wheels anyway and keep it garaged until shocks/springs arrrive. I really want to have it ready before the Fontana meet (same weekend as my birthday, so I can justify buying wheels).
Old 03-12-02, 12:30 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

GSIntensive - you are absolutely right about not needing to lower a car as much on 20's as on 18's (or 19's). However, I think if you're going to go 20's, why not use it to your advantage?

By that, I mean most people love all those "slammed" JDM cars but know they're not drivable because of the clearance. With a GS on 20's, you can have that "slammed" look w/o suffering clearance issues.

Take my car for example. I have a body kit and it's lowered on 20's with my front wheels dumped almost to the point where you can't even get a finger between the top of the tire and the fender. To me, THAT is the perfect gap. And I drive this daily. I've only scraped just a tad ONE time when I was going up a drive that as very steep and the road was arched...and I was going to fast (I would have normally taken it slower but I was in a hurry)

As for the back, I think having it so that the fender touches the top of the tire (visually, not literally) is the "perfect" gap...right now, I have ~2" drop and it looks "high"...a 1" drop would look 4x4ish to me...

But that's just me. Some people like (or need) the larger gap (like if you tote around a lot stuff in the truck or a lot of people)...but in my case, with my coilovers, I can still have people comfortably in the back....

What coilovers did you try out Wei? (Brand/Model). With my H&R's, people have commented on how nice the ride was (considering all the stuff that's been done)...Tein's (especially HA's) tend to ride a little rough....

GSDreamer - Yeah, Sprewell doesn't give the best prices unless you know someone...hey, you're in SoCal, you're more than welcome to take a ride in my car so you can feel the difference (for the most part) and so you can see the difference...
Old 03-12-02, 04:35 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Manaray--, I have tried your perfect look be4, indeed, it looks like no other, but I experienced several fender-line rubbing problem. I dropped almost 2 inches on front/back on my previous 20''s enkei. It looks stunning, but whenever i go through a bumpy road on high way, my tires bumps up the fender line. Do you have your fender rolled?

With new Equips, it robs sometimes when I have 2~3 people in the back seats, I am going to wheelshop to have the fender rolled ASAP. Is this normal? I tried 18x 9 and 18x10 on even lower dropping before, the back has never robbed like now, though....

I have tried Tein HA, man was it a BUMPY ride. The kg/mm was very stiff too, even with the dampening system. both of the coilovers rides 200% stiff, SO stiff that when I changed back to L-tuned I thought I was driving a caddy. though L-tuned is too loose in cornering, I figure if I put all other suspension goodies like Sways, LCB, STB and etc... The difference could be minimal. wat do you think?

I heard H&R is nice (by you =D) but I haven't got a chance to try em in person. Maybe we can during the superlexus meet = ) I have to check our your one-only kit and MSC foglight. If ur H&R is anywhere near as comfortable as L-tuned, I will be greatly interested for sure.
Old 03-12-02, 06:57 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

GSDREAMER: What ever you decide to get, show us pics...
Old 03-12-02, 07:00 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Im using L-tuned suspension
Old 03-12-02, 07:32 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
GSDREAMER: What ever you decide to get, show us pics...
Will do.

Erik, that what I plan on using if I can get them in the next week or so (on back order), but I exploring other possibilities just in case.
Old 03-13-02, 12:29 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

GSIntensive - It's all about the offset (and sizing...as you know, I run 20x8.5 +38 and 20x9.5 +37)! The ONLY time I rub is when I have my steering wheel cranked all the way to one side (either side) and I hit a bump /dip and it has to be a hard bump/dip (meaning at a decent speed...not crawling over the bump/dip) It only rubs a little bit of the fender linings edge. At the meet, you can see the "damage" I've done...you'll see it's very very minimal...

Other than that, the only other rubbing issue is with the over diameter of the wheel. In the front, the fender lining is rubbed away a little...but now it doesn't rub at all since it's been rubbed away (but there is no hole)

I have NOT modified my fenders in ANY WAY....yeah, the Tein's are too stiff...that's why I cringe when people wholeheartedly recommend Tein's and tout the "adjustable dampening". It's STILL too stiff to MOST people I've talked to...H&R and the APEX WS offer nicer rides with all the performance advantages...

As for the L-Tuned rears, I think they're too soft. If you want to get some APEX WS's, let me know...I'll see what I can do for you...(they're $1400 list I think)

DaveGS400 just tried out my today on short/mild canyon run...you can ask him what he thinks about my setup (it'll be the first "non-biased" opinion of my setup... )

Wei, you can definitely try out my car at the event...I will hopefully have my MSC's in by then (should be in by this weekend)...sometimes you gotta wait to get the best price...
Old 03-13-02, 12:27 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Manaray- sounds great, I can't wait to try the apex WS. i just went home and got my digital camera, if the dealer puts up no delay, pics should be up tonight!

btw how much did you drop your gs?
Old 03-14-02, 12:11 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Wei, I have the H&R's actually...not the APEX's...however, a buddy of mine might be coming and he has APEX's...

I was saying that if you wanted a set, I could get you a set for a good price....

Quick Reply: 19's or 20's? Lsportline or Lowenhart?