Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Considering 4 options A/S

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-09, 06:56 PM
GSLexi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering 4 options A/S

Hey guys I'm considering 4 potential all season tires, please weigh in if you have ever owned either of the following. I have read plenty of reviews on these tires on tire rack and elsewhere, but I would like to hear the experience you have had with them.

Here are the factors that I am considering in my purchase (in no particular order):
Road noise
Comfort
Performance in dry AND wet
Tread life

Please note that I WILL NOT be driving in the winter with these tires (I have a set of dedicated winters), and price is not an issue.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S
Michelin Pilot HX MXM4
Bridgestone Potenza RE960 PP.

By the way I am coming from stock Eagle GT +4s... and I drive a 98 GS 300

Last edited by GSLexi; 03-26-09 at 06:57 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-26-09, 06:59 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, just put them on today on an 06 GS430. To early to tell, they give more feedback than the Avan A10 for sure.

Last edited by GS2006; 03-26-09 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-26-09, 07:53 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (not the plus) on my 06 GS and did not use this tire in the winter. I was quite satisfied if not thrilled with the performance of this tire in the rain and on dry pavement. They are quiet and very smooth.

Previously, I had the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S on my 02 ES and was quite pleased with these. They were a very good tire overall and did see winter driving. They were great on dry pavement and very secure in all kinds of rain. I must add that they were even pretty decent in light to moderate snow.

Either of those will serve you well on your GS 300.

steviej
Old 03-27-09, 09:18 AM
GSLexi
Driver

Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming that because the bridgestones and the pilot a/s sports are more of a performance all season, that they will make more noise than the other two tires. Is this a fair assumption?
Old 03-27-09, 11:53 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GSLexi
Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming that because the bridgestones and the pilot a/s sports are more of a performance all season, that they will make more noise than the other two tires. Is this a fair assumption?
kinda, but not really... both the RE960 and the Pilot Sport A/S Plus are extremely quiet all season high performance tires... you can't go wrong with either one...

The Exalto A/S is not as much of a performance tire and definitely loses some in the All season category, same with the HX MXM4... out of your options, the only two I would seriously consider would be the RE960 and the Pilot Sport A/S...
Old 03-27-09, 11:56 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

wait just a second though... they are not going to see any snow at all???

if so, many summer performance tires actually outperform many all season tires in the rain... they only start to go bad when its cold or snow on the ground...

if they were only going to be driven in dry/wet and above freezing, then I would look more into the Pilot Sport PS2, Bridgestone RE050, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric, etc... In my experience, they do better in rain than the all season tires do...
Old 03-27-09, 01:07 PM
GSLexi
Driver

Hey thanks for your response. The reason I am leaning towards the A/S tires is due to the fact that they tend to have a higher tread life than summer tires. I spoke to a Lexus parts guy today and confirmed that with him. Basically as of now it seems as though the Michelin Exalto's are out of the question since it does not come with a V rating on the 225/55 R16 tire size. I am leaning away from the Pilot Sport A/S (plus) because it is a W rated tire and is standard eqiupment on the new GS 350/460. From what I have heard these tires may be too stiff for my suspension (I believe the suspension on the third gen GS is a little tighter, hence the higher speed rating) and could potentially throw my handling out of line. What are your thoughts on this?

I know the Bridgestone Potenzas are also W rated but I have heard a lot of people like them on the second gen GS... I am confused now.. the only thing I know is the Exaltos are out.
Old 03-27-09, 08:30 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Basically as of now it seems as though the Michelin Exalto's are out of the question since it does not come with a V rating on the 225/55 R16 tire size.
If the Exalto comes in an H rating for that size you will actually be more than fine and will save a few bucks.

steviej
Old 03-28-09, 05:17 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Hey thanks for your response. The reason I am leaning towards the A/S tires is due to the fact that they tend to have a higher tread life than summer tires. I spoke to a Lexus parts guy today and confirmed that with him. Basically as of now it seems as though the Michelin Exalto's are out of the question since it does not come with a V rating on the 225/55 R16 tire size. I am leaning away from the Pilot Sport A/S (plus) because it is a W rated tire and is standard eqiupment on the new GS 350/460. From what I have heard these tires may be too stiff for my suspension (I believe the suspension on the third gen GS is a little tighter, hence the higher speed rating) and could potentially throw my handling out of line. What are your thoughts on this?

I know the Bridgestone Potenzas are also W rated but I have heard a lot of people like them on the second gen GS... I am confused now.. the only thing I know is the Exaltos are out.
I agree you shouldn't drop in speed rating... But going up is not going to harm anything. It definitely won't hurt handling or performance, but they might be stiffer than what you are used to...

Personally, between the two, I would get the tire that is easier to obtain and potentially, whichever one is cheaper - both are excellent tires... I sold Michelin and Bridgestone for years and couldn't complain about either one...