Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

lowenhart wheel repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-02, 02:54 AM
DeniskaGS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowenhart wheel repair

NYC pot hole just took a big hit on one of my new lowenhart br5's. Looks like a lip has a small bent its bearly visible but makes the steering shake. I put it in the rear of the car as a temp solution. Does anyone know where I can replace the lip the 2 other pieces are ok. These wheels are 3 piece so I assume it can be done, and dont really feel like spending another $800 for a new rim. Please advise.
Old 04-13-02, 04:27 AM
pot_head
Driver

yeah i was wondering the same. can a good local wheel repair shop do anything if its minor damage to the lip? anyone?
Old 04-13-02, 05:47 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

I'm pretty sure a good wheel shop can---i'm gonna get my little pothole dent fixed in the next couple weeks with a reputabel local shop here in Tampa. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Just some facts---a lot of shop that fix rims get them sent out, so you will have to wait a while. Try to find a shop that fixes them in house---so you can get it done that day. Just my two cents---hope it helps
Old 04-13-02, 09:54 AM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

What size rims are you on?

I know HRE sells individuals wheel parts...centers and inner/outer rims. Not sure about Lowenhart though.

Good luck

Ryan

Last edited by AgGS400; 04-13-02 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-14-02, 03:57 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Deniska - check yer PM...

SoCal, do you have suggestions (I know you have da info!)

Last edited by Manaray; 04-14-02 at 03:58 AM.
Old 06-05-02, 05:04 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on how bad, you can do it yourself....

Rag and metal hammer and be careful.

You may not be able to avoid chrome peeling however...
Old 06-07-02, 02:43 AM
pot_head
Driver

i just got my Lowenharts repaired. I was just about to start a new thread till i saw this one.

i got very light curb rash on the front left wheel and a really bad rash on the rear right. Lips only of course. it was fixed for 160$ each. this is the tricky part....for me at least.

my wheels are chrome. so i called a reputable wheel repair shop in my area that fixes wheels in house. i asked them if they can fix chrome wheels and they said no, and told me to send them to california for the best chrome job with warrantee. so i was like, '****!'.

Well i didnt care if the chrome job is going to be top notch or not. i needed my wheels repaired for the car show in the upcoming week. so i took it to a chroming shop that chromes antiques, wheels, anything. So i was talking to the dude and he looks at it. he said he can fix it and send it to a local wheel repair shop to have everything balanced and all, then do the chroming. since he can take the 3pc wheels apart, the job should be cheap. But the last thing he said to me before i left was, "The center of your wheel looks chrome, but your lips doesnt look like chrome. It looks like anodized(dont know what that is) or super high polish because the chrome isnt flaking" I was like WHAT!!!!!!!???????

So i boot it down to the reputable wheel repair shop to get an expert to check it out. He agreed with the chroming shop owner that it looked like high polish. So he took sandpaper and sanded the lips a little bit and sure enough it wasnt chrome. But thats a good thing imo. The chroming shop also didnt offer warrantee on the chroming because he said alot of ppl come and get their wheels chromed, and have had numerous arguments with car owners about chipping. Anyways, the wheels were taken apart and fixed in 2-3 working days and cost me 160$ per wheel. The lips sure looked chrome to me when i got the wheels. But then of course im no chrome expert, just anything that looks shiny looks like chrome to me.

oh ya, also the wheel repair shop told me that they couldnt put that anodized finish on the lips. i presume thats a 'clear coat' type of finish. he told me not to use any acidic cleaners on the lips. and if the lips start to look dull, just wax it and it will be super shiny again. Hope this helps.

Also, can someone give some comments on high polish vs chrome finishes? cuz to me, the lips sure look chromed. they were very shiny and was hard to tell. What about this 'andoized' finish? What exactly is that and can it be put back on to my wheel lips so the lips dont get dull or whatever? Thanks/

Last edited by pot_head; 06-07-02 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-08-02, 01:41 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Clearcoat just needs to be waxed occasionally...

Both SoCal and I have stated previously that high polished wheel look nearly the same as chrome w/o all the disadvantages of chrome...

Pot_head - glad to hear you got it fixed ok...
Old 06-08-02, 06:22 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by manaray
Clearcoat just needs to be waxed occasionally...

Both SoCal and I have stated previously that high polished wheel look nearly the same as chrome w/o all the disadvantages of chrome...

Pot_head - glad to hear you got it fixed ok...
Manaray....HRE's have polished lips but they are not clearcoated from what I understand...

How would you clean or do you clean your polished HRE lips?
Old 06-09-02, 03:17 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

My HRE's lips are clear coated...

However, if they're NOT clear coated (maybe that's extra?), then you can use a metal polish...I recommend MOTHER'S. Tried and true. Works great...add a little water as you rub...(just a few drops here and there)....
Old 06-09-02, 11:22 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

Originally posted by pot_head
i just got my Lowenharts repaired. I was just about to start a new thread till i saw this one.

i got very light curb rash on the front left wheel and a really bad rash on the rear right. Lips only of course. it was fixed for 160$ each. this is the tricky part....for me at least.

my wheels are chrome. so i called a reputable wheel repair shop in my area that fixes wheels in house. i asked them if they can fix chrome wheels and they said no, and told me to send them to california for the best chrome job with warrantee. so i was like, '****!'.

Well i didnt care if the chrome job is going to be top notch or not. i needed my wheels repaired for the car show in the upcoming week. so i took it to a chroming shop that chromes antiques, wheels, anything. So i was talking to the dude and he looks at it. he said he can fix it and send it to a local wheel repair shop to have everything balanced and all, then do the chroming. since he can take the 3pc wheels apart, the job should be cheap. But the last thing he said to me before i left was, "The center of your wheel looks chrome, but your lips doesnt look like chrome. It looks like anodized(dont know what that is) or super high polish because the chrome isnt flaking" I was like WHAT!!!!!!!???????

So i boot it down to the reputable wheel repair shop to get an expert to check it out. He agreed with the chroming shop owner that it looked like high polish. So he took sandpaper and sanded the lips a little bit and sure enough it wasnt chrome. But thats a good thing imo. The chroming shop also didnt offer warrantee on the chroming because he said alot of ppl come and get their wheels chromed, and have had numerous arguments with car owners about chipping. Anyways, the wheels were taken apart and fixed in 2-3 working days and cost me 160$ per wheel. The lips sure looked chrome to me when i got the wheels. But then of course im no chrome expert, just anything that looks shiny looks like chrome to me.

oh ya, also the wheel repair shop told me that they couldnt put that anodized finish on the lips. i presume thats a 'clear coat' type of finish. he told me not to use any acidic cleaners on the lips. and if the lips start to look dull, just wax it and it will be super shiny again. Hope this helps.

Also, can someone give some comments on high polish vs chrome finishes? cuz to me, the lips sure look chromed. they were very shiny and was hard to tell. What about this 'andoized' finish? What exactly is that and can it be put back on to my wheel lips so the lips dont get dull or whatever? Thanks/
That is true, the lips on the Lowenharts are Anodized. Only the center is chrome. That is the same exact thing my wheel shop told me....he repolished the lips the same way..with sand paper and polish. They came back looking like chrome.

He informed me that they keep the lip anodized just in case you hit a pothole or a curb. This allows the wheel to be repaired without the purchase of a new wheel. After they got done polishing my wheels, they came back looking like new.
Old 05-13-05, 06:47 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outer lip not chromed, I have 20" lowenhart br5's and the centers look great but the outer rim where the centers bolt up, I have chrome flaking off. Im trying to find where I can get these fixed. Other than the chrome issue the wheels are in great shape.