Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Looking for wheels? Here’s an idea (a long one) …

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-02, 02:17 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drew - Absolutely...that's why they're in the "other" list...personally, I think that list should just have an "AVOID" list...Zenetti would fall into that list...

Oh, I don't think Lecs are necessarily bad...I think we need to break the upper list into tiers...High End/Best Quality, Mid Range/Decent Quality, Low End/Acceptable Quality, then just plain "AVOID THESE POS!"...

Yes, once the wheel encyclopedia is up and running, I'll be filling in the info...but I am expecting everyone to help out...I don't have every single bit of information on every single wheel made....so I hope that GS4Will (Mr. "I got all da catalogs!" ), Lee, Dennis, and others can help me out...

Also, getting all the wheel weights may be a problem...it's hard to get that info for all styles/diameter/widths from all vendors...they don't even publish that in their catalogs usually...

Looks like I'll have to get an accurate scale so that I can personally weigh wheels that come across my path...

Ethan, this is starting to sound like a JOB! You know how I feel about having a JOB!

Last edited by Manaray; 04-16-02 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-16-02, 05:24 AM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also think this is a great idea. Has anyone seen the last two years Sport Compact Car wheel guides? Somewhat comprehensive and good info i.e. weight, available sizes, finishes, etc.

MAC

Last edited by 0260n5.7; 04-16-02 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-16-02, 11:12 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by manaray
Ethan, this is starting to sound like a JOB! You know how I feel about having a JOB!
LOL!!!
Old 04-16-02, 06:10 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default 'Bout time

Manaray – you’re right, if this turns out to be a [JOB] and the mass of data becomes unmanageable, if the information becomes old and stale, it’ll die. As you suggest, you’re gonna need help unless you want it to be a [REAL JOB].

I agree that the members will benefit from ranking the mfgs into your suggested categories – even general price ranges of the groups would be a great assist to a novice looking for wheels (like me).

I do (respectfully) request that you don’t automatically place all CHROME wheels in the pos category (was your mom scared by something chrome while carrying you?)
Old 04-17-02, 04:39 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

0260n5.7 - Yeah, the Compact Car wheel guide is pretty good but they cover a LOT of lame wheels...hehehe, I guess it's their market...

Garnet92 - I was thinking of putting RETAIL prices on there..the only thing is that a LOT of import wheels that don't have official US distributors don't have a real retail price as shipping has a LOT to do with final price (it can be upwards of $600 JUST for shipping)...I may just put Japanese Yen prices down and then put a disclaimer that:

A) Shipping costs is a major portion of the cost of imported JDM wheels. You will have to contact your importer about that.

B) You can NOT use absolute exchange rates for doing the JPY to USD conversion. For example, if the current exchange rate is 1:133 (USD:JPY), most banks will only give you 1:121 ("Forex" profit...can't escape it...I've tried!)

As for Chrome, don't worry...hehehe, I'm going to rate wheels based on their overall quality, not their finish...

The reasons why I don't like chrome isn't a secret...for one thing, they add extra weight for no reason. If you want "shiny" wheels, some manufactures offer HIGH POLISH (like HRE) that offer the SHINE without the the additional weight or chrome or the possibility of the chrome chipping (and trust me, this happens...)

Also, with all the "bling-bling" going on now-a-days (thanks to [c]rap), it's gotten to the point where it's just ghetto. You see people with the BIGGEST PILE OF ***** cars with chrome wheels...like that's going to make the car "better"...and these people should try getting off WELFARE instead of buying wheels (but they're probably stealing them...)

Chrome also hides the design of the wheel most of the time. With so much reflection going on, it's hard to see the design of the wheel...like "wheel camo"...why hide the design?

Chrome also attracts TOO MUCH attention to JUST the wheels. Makes the wheels stand out SO MUCH that it detracts from the "overall look" of the car IMO. No need for that much attention. Also attracts attention for thieves...thieves = ghetto = like chrome...see, math is universal!

There are a few wheels that look decent in chrome but not many and if I had another choice available, I would avoid chrome...but some wheels ONLY come in chrome...

I've also noticed that most people that are "impressed" by chrome usually don't know ***** about cars or wheels in general. They would be gawking at chrome wheels made by ANYONE (Dub Magazine and DDay is a classic example of this). It doesn't matter to them so long as it's big and chrome....sure, I could get some 20" chrome Giovannas or some other POS wheels and I'm sure I'll get a lot of attention, but that not really my cup of tea...I could care less about impressing these type of people or anyone really, but when people who REALLY KNOW THEIR ***** compliment you, that's says something....
Old 04-17-02, 05:21 PM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reasons why I don't like chrome isn't a secret...for one thing, they add extra weight for no reason. If you want "shiny" wheels, some manufactures offer HIGH POLISH (like HRE) that offer the SHINE without the the additional weight or chrome or the possibility of the chrome chipping (and trust me, this happens...)
I really have to take issue with this. First, it has been my experience that chrome adds .25-.5 lbs per wheel. The chrome plating process applies a thin (50 microns roughly) layer of chrome over the surface. My Volk Challenges gained .37 lbs per wheel. I'm sure there are examples of wheels gaining more, but this is the general norm. People think chrome is heavy as it is normally put on wheels that are heavy to begin with. Chrome doesn't inherently stick well to forged Al..

Contrary to popular belief, Lexus' are not LeMans racers... I don't think .5 lbs matters.

Second, a properly done chrome finish (applied on the right surface) is near indestructable. Those same set of Volk wheels ended up hitting a concrete wall on a road course at very high speed... the chrome didn't even flake, simply scuffed the wheel. (while basically totalling the car. 43K in damage)

I have seen chrome flake off also.. I had a few of my intercooler pipes chromed, and when I hit them with a pressure washer (from 1-2ft away) the chrome blew off. As always, it depends on the job.
Old 04-17-02, 08:16 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

0260n5.7 - Yeah, the Compact Car wheel guide is pretty good but they cover a LOT of lame wheels...hehehe, I guess it's their market...

Garnet92 - I was thinking of putting RETAIL prices on there..the only thing is that a LOT of import wheels that don't have official US distributors don't have a real retail price as shipping has a LOT to do with final price (it can be upwards of $600 JUST for shipping)...I may just put Japanese Yen prices down and then put a disclaimer that:

A) Shipping costs is a major portion of the cost of imported JDM wheels. You will have to contact your importer about that.

B) You can NOT use absolute exchange rates for doing the JPY to USD conversion. For example, if the current exchange rate is 1:133 (USD:JPY), most banks will only give you 1:121 ("Forex" profit...can't escape it...I've tried!)

As for Chrome, don't worry...hehehe, I'm going to rate wheels based on their overall quality, not their finish...

Also, with all the "bling-bling" going on now-a-days (thanks to [c]rap), it's gotten to the point where it's just ghetto. You see people with the BIGGEST PILE OF ***** cars with chrome wheels...like that's going to make the car "better"...and these people should try getting off WELFARE instead of buying wheels (but they're probably stealing them...)

Chrome also hides the design of the wheel most of the time. With so much reflection going on, it's hard to see the design of the wheel...like "wheel camo"...why hide the design?

Chrome also attracts TOO MUCH attention to JUST the wheels. Makes the wheels stand out SO MUCH that it detracts from the "overall look" of the car IMO. No need for that much attention. Also attracts attention for thieves...thieves = ghetto = like chrome...see, math is universal!

There are a few wheels that look decent in chrome but not many and if I had another choice available, I would avoid chrome...but some wheels ONLY come in chrome...

I've also noticed that most people that are "impressed" by chrome usually don't know ***** about cars or wheels in general. They would be gawking at chrome wheels made by ANYONE (Dub Magazine and DDay is a classic example of this). It doesn't matter to them so long as it's big and chrome....sure, I could get some 20" chrome Giovannas or some other POS wheels and I'm sure I'll get a lot of attention, but that not really my cup of tea...I could care less about impressing these type of people or anyone really, but when people who REALLY KNOW THEIR ***** compliment you, that's says something....
What about Painted Chrome AKA Japanesse Super Chrome... they dont add weight.. and the quality is very good . i just got some.. i love em.... Dronell CA-05 and manaray.... i got em for $1340.00+60$ plus shipping!! YES they are real!! and light weight! like 17 pounds i think??? 20x8.5 fat lip also!! im happy that i got such quality wheels for a KnockOffs Price... or is that less then a knockoffs price :eek:
Attached Thumbnails -immanivong-img600x590-1018717499dronnell.jpg  
Old 04-18-02, 01:31 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Camren, what offsets did you get on those wheels...also, I'd be interested in seeing what kind of brake clearance you get...I'm gonna guess that those wheels won't allow for big brakes (but I can't tell from the angle of your photo)...

Dennis - I agree with in saying that it doesn't add 50 lbs extra per wheel or anything...and Lexus cars are not LeMans racers (Well, I think Clint's SC is!)...but adding extra weight along with all the other negatives of chrome is just more reason NOT to do chrome.

As for the chrome flaking, like you said, it depends on the quality of the chrome and the material it's sticking too...but it also depends on HOW it's hit. I have seen chrome chip from simply hitting it with a socket while trying to take off some wheels (not my wheels of course!). I've seen this happen on stock chromies and aftermarket ones.

My old ES300 (way back in the days) had stock chromes (didn't want them, but they didn't have any sivlers to change out and they didn't charge me extra for it) and the wheels started to chip at the lip edges after a couple of years. I never hit the wheels on a curb or anything...but I did hit a few potholes...and my chrome pieces were THICK...50 microns is only 0.05mm...NO WAY. It was like 500 microns (0.5mm...1/2 a millimeter). This was NOT "Japanese chrome" (which is a super thin film), it was typical "triple dip" chrome...

Were your Volks Japanese or American chrome? Also, the gain 0.37 lbs/wheel is also because the Volk Challenge has very little surface area in the spokes...

Also, like I've said before, there are some wheels that look decent in chrome...thin spoke wheels (like the Volk Challenge...it probably looked decent on that particular wheel...) and mesh wheels look OK sometimes (even to me)...but chrome dish wheels are just...well, you know...even some chrome mesh wheels (like the Rexaz II) are just too "bright" IMO...but polished HRE 540's look pretty good.

Dunno, I guess I'm not into the "flashy" aspect of chrome. To me it just shows "fake wealth" (much like flashy fake gold or gold plated watch)....granted, not everyone that's "flashy" is faking the funk...but let's face it, nowadays, most are...

Again, I think chrome wheels in general "flash" too much and take away from the "overall look" of the car rather than complimenting it. It's like chrome trim...how many of you think chrome door trim with chrome fender trim, chrome tape B-pillar covers, etc., etc., etc., don't just scream cheese...?

Chrome should be an ACCENT...that's why a non-shiny center with high polished or chromed lips on wheel looks "perfect" to me...the lips ACCENT the entire wheel and the wheel enhances the OVERALL look of the car...

Last edited by Manaray; 04-18-02 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-18-02, 02:12 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

20 x 8.5 38offsett
Old 04-18-02, 03:50 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It's like chrome trim...how many of you think chrome door trim with chrome fender trim, chrome tape B-pillar covers, etc., etc., etc., don't just scream cheese...?

You forgot chrome windshield wipers. I think that door trim is some of the ugliest stuff I've ever seen, tacky as he!!. I don't have a problem with some chrome wheels, but all that other chrome stuff doesn't sit right with me.
Old 04-20-02, 01:03 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default Bump

I added some more "unknowns" and thought that it is still of some value to CL'ers looking for wheels - 'till manaray's real thing gets operational.
Old 08-08-10, 02:33 PM
flash92sc
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wheels

newby here after a couple years with no sc just bought 95 black on black sc300 i cant afford to go the staggered 1200-2000 route for rims but the stockers got to go . i picked out these ADR rims for my car im going to use the exsisting 17' tires on the car to keep the smooth luxurious ride it has now. My 92 had low profile 18' on it and every bump was an adventure
anyway telll me the problems and whats so bad about the ADR rims thanks tom
Attached Thumbnails -lexus-sc.jpg   -dsc_1276.jpg