Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

1993-1997 GS w/ 19s

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-02, 01:10 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Teins are definitely high quality...I wouldn't have them on my car otherwise!

I dunno if they make the FLEX or CS for the JZS-147's...unfortunately, back when that car came out, they developed more "race" type coilovers than ones geared towards comfort...
Old 06-25-02, 02:28 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

So, the reality is that nobody really knows what coilovers are available for the first-gen GS... too bad! The suspension options for these cars would appear to, by-in-large, suck.

I placed a call to my pal Willie Yee at HKS to see if thay can come across anything in Japan for these cars. I also e-mailed Roland @ H&R- I'm thinking about their Supra coilovers for my SC400, and perhaps he will have something that will interchange with the early GS.

Another option may be to 'block' link's Eibach springs- a friend at Progress says they can sometimes 'reset' springs (lower) by using their spring dyno. I'm not sure how they so this, but I will place a call to get further data.
Old 06-25-02, 06:00 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
So, the reality is that nobody really knows what coilovers are available for the first-gen GS... too bad! The suspension options for these cars would appear to, by-in-large, suck.
I have got Tein NA for my 94' GS300 but they are much harder to come by.
Old 06-28-02, 05:41 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Okay, I finally spoke with Willie @ HKS: their coilover for the first-gen GS is still available, however, it is special order from Japan.

He will get price & availablity on them next week- he thinks they list for around $2400/set, but that may have gone down as the coilovers for the current-gen GS have dropped to about $1700 MSRP. He said they would consider stocking a set or two if the demand was there (I suspect it won't be even at a 'deal'-if you could get 15% off list, they would still be $2000).

Willie says their kits are absolutely top-notch, ride great, and include the upper pillow-mounts.

I may consider these for my SC400- they have an SC400 specific application, with softer spring & damping rates than the Supra coilover kit.

I will post more data as soon as I have it.

-Bob
Old 06-29-02, 04:11 AM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For 1st gen, Tein HA, NA, RA and CS only......all coilover except NA. It would be nice if Flex was availabe for 1st gen so I could slap those puppies on my GS.
Old 06-29-02, 04:19 AM
2Lexos

Hey link, i just took another look at your last pic and something is not right......what kind of rubber do you have on those 19's? They look really thin, especially in the rear!
Old 06-29-02, 10:24 AM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 2Lexos
For 1st gen, Tein HA, NA, RA and CS only......all coilover except NA. It would be nice if Flex was availabe for 1st gen so I could slap those puppies on my GS.
I have Tein NA for my 94' GS300. You said that they weren't coilovers, are you sure? They are 16-way adjustable coilovers (damper, height, camber).
Old 06-30-02, 05:07 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

SoCalSC4 - TOM'S also makes an application for the JZS-147 GS's...

As for the HKS on the SC, hey, let Willie know I want a set also...see what kind of price he can do for us on a set of two...

Mini-Group Buy?
Old 07-01-02, 01:14 AM
2Lexos

Originally posted by mcnelson

I have Tein NA for my 94' GS300. You said that they weren't coilovers, are you sure? They are 16-way adjustable coilovers (damper, height, camber).
you sure?
Attached Thumbnails 1993-1997 GS w/ 19s-teinpic.jpg  
Old 07-01-02, 06:41 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Well ***** now I am all confused.
Old 07-18-02, 07:16 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Update: Willie at HKS called- the early GS and SC coilovers (HKS) are definitely special order from Japan: he will have pricing soon.

In Link13s car, I had the Eibachs "blocked"- the guys up at Progress Group have a spring dyno. They have had some success with testing various springs to the 'progressive rate point', then backing off and going past the progressive rate point, then backing off and compressing the springs to a "dead stack" (coils all touch each other).

I'm not a suspension expert, but my guess is that this yields the springs a bit- they have seen additional lowering of 1/4" to 1" after this treatment, depending on coil diameter and free length.

I pick up the springs tonight, and we will re-install the Eibachs this weekend. Anyone want to buy a set of one-month old Intrax springs for 93-97 GS3?

Will post new pics as soon as we have 'em.

-Bob
Old 07-22-02, 07:08 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

The Eibachs are back in Link's car.

The car rides better, but the rear came up about 3/8" (versus the Intrax) and appear to be EXACTLY the same ride height as when we originally installed them.

Disappointing...

We are now focused on getting HKS coilovers for the car, as nobody makes a coil spring for these cars that does what we want. (Manaray, we are coming over to the 'dark side,' you were right, we should have done it to begin with!). On a positive note, my friend John and I can now change springs in the GS in 90 minutes, start-to-finish!

The rear shocks are starting to seep just a bit anyway... I e-mailed Willie @ HKS tonight to see if he has pricing on the coilovers yet. More to come...
Old 07-22-02, 10:10 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Hehehehe...see, once people see the light, they always come to the "dark side"....<evil laughter>....
Old 07-23-02, 08:54 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Default looking forward to coilovers

I am excitied about getting the coilovers, but my wallet is not. I will be happy once they're in and the car is as low as I want it to be. For now, the Eibachs ride better than the Intrax, but the car doesn't look quite as good. We'll get it right, though.
Old 07-23-02, 11:16 AM
kts_GS3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 2Lexos
So, the Tein HA will fit 1st gen GS?

Quick Reply: 1993-1997 GS w/ 19s