Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Thinking of getting 18's

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-02, 10:46 AM
Navaz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I'll go with 245/ 275 set up. Oh yah BTW, they only come in 8.0 & 9.5 so I was not sure at first if those sizes would fit. I still cant find anyone that has them in stock. The front rims are on back order until the end of june.
Any more suggestions on where I could find them?
Old 06-03-02, 06:46 PM
shftup
Intermediate

Hey navaz, I live in Regina, and I just put on 19's on my gs4 and I got no problems, lots of luv from the l-tuned suspension setup.
Good choice in wheel, but how the hell did u bend an 17" rim, where u driving a little fast......
just jokes, anyways post some pics when it all said and done.

Also, you could buy a semi-forged, or forged wheel, in a 19", and have a nice strong wheel, that looks tight.
Old 06-03-02, 11:45 PM
moocowman
Driver School Candidate

Default 18's: My recommendation

If you're going 18's, I like the ADR M-Sport in 'hyper silver'. They come 8.5 front and 9.5 rear. Recommended rubber up front would be 235/40. Recommended rear is 265/35. It's the best mesh design I've seen, without too many spokes. The 9.5" rear has a very deep dish. Some shops will claim you'll have to modify the fender (rolling), but it's not true. They fit nice and snug.

And get this: you can get them for under $1800 with tires! It's not a true multi-piece wheel, but looks like it. But I'll take these over some multi-piece mesh's any day. Do a search for ADR M-Sport Google.
Old 06-24-02, 04:52 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

im also in the market for some new 18's....not having much knowledge on the subject, i'd appreciate input on widths....it appears, based upon other threads and this one, that 8-8.5" fronts are good, and 8.5-9" for the rear...is this what u guys recommend? also, would u consider oz and ssr wheels to be similar in quality? i'm looking around $1500-2k.
Old 06-24-02, 05:28 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know how big you want to push it but try a 8.5f 9.5r combo. With the 8.5, you can run 245s. With 8, you can really only do 235s.
Old 06-24-02, 05:34 PM
liazon
Advanced

thanks neo. if u get a chance, plz. respond to my new thread, "need wheel help...." in the wheels section...for some other questions i have.
Old 06-24-02, 05:38 PM
liazon
Advanced

moocarman, those mdr's are nice loooking...have you (or other members) owned them before? how do they compare quality wise?
Old 06-24-02, 05:39 PM
liazon
Advanced

correction, ADR...
Old 06-24-02, 07:31 PM
moocowman
Driver School Candidate

Default 18'S

Thanks,

Compared some of the much more expensive sets I've seen in the shops, the ADR are of similar quality. They don't look like they were slapped together straight out of the mold. The silver finish on the center looks smooth and thick. The lip is cleanly machined. Mine were manufacturered in Japan. I hear they sell them in Japan as "Manarays" or something to that effect.The only thing is - instead of being a multi-piece wheel, they are actually only 1-piece. But you really have to check up close and behind the rim to reveal that it's a 1-piece. The only other rims I considered were the SSR GT3's, but they were a heck of a lot more expensive.

My only regret: I was too conservative with the rear tire size because I was afraid of having to roll the fenders. But now, I can see there's so much room left after dropping it 1". I took 265/35's on the rear 9.5's. Now, the wheel looks wider than the tire and the overall diameter looks slightly smaller than the front. I would go 275 or 285/35's if you go with 9.5 rears. The 235/40's on the front 8.5's are perfect.

The shops I asked said the max wheel width you can go on the rear of the 98-03 GS is 10". I belive that offset is 36 or 38. The ADR M-sport 18x9.5's offset is something like 44.
Old 06-25-02, 02:18 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't mean to crap on anyone's parade (ok, maybe just alittle bit! ) but ADR's are crappy wheels. Buying a wheel that "looks like" a 3-piece when it's really a 1-piece is cheesy. If you can't afford a REAL multi-piece wheel, don't buy a fake looking 1-piece POS wheel....and ANYONE would take a POS 1-piece cast wheel over a 3-piece forged/spun wheel is just straight clueless.

ADR M-Sport is NOT a Manaray Japan wheel. And the lower end Manaray wheels are made in Taiwan, not Japan. Unfortunately, Manaray Wheels has decided to go with "volume" over exclusivity...

Liazon - on a GS, 8.5/9" and 9.5"/10" will work fine all the way up to 20" diameter...245 and 275 are the "standards". There is no point in going smaller (unless you have narrow wheels). You can fit 255/285 with some work.

OZ and SSR are both good wheels....$1.5K ~ 2K for wheels ALONE or wheels AND tires?

Hohlraum - I have a solution to your problem...just move to a different state!
Old 06-25-02, 05:54 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Default Re: 18'S

Originally posted by moocowman

The shops I asked said the max wheel width you can go on the rear of the 98-03 GS is 10". I belive that offset is 36 or 38. The ADR M-sport 18x9.5's offset is something like 44.
Wow. Can you really do a +36 offset with a 10" wheel and not do any fender mods? FWIW, I find that really hard to believe. +38 maybe, +44 no problem, +36
Old 06-25-02, 10:59 AM
moocowman
Driver School Candidate

Manaray,

Can you post pictures of your wheels for our viewing pleasure?

My ADR M-Sport wheels are made in Japan. It's stamped on the wheel. You can talk to Golden Apple in Ontario, CA, the U.S. distributors for ADR's wheels, who told me they are sold in Japan as Manaray.

I doubt the majority of people who purchase multi-piece wheels buy them because of their functionality. So, what does it matter to those people whether or not they separate their wheels into pieces?

The ADR M-Sports are far from crappy. You've probably never even seen the wheel in person to make that judgment. Maybe ADR does make some other wheels that might not be of the best quality. But I've also had BBS's on my Maserati and Ruf's on my Porsche in the past that I considered crappy.

Anyone who can afford a Lexus GS can afford wheels. It's a matter of justifying price and funtionality. This person asked about 18" wheels. He probably can't justify spending a load of cash on wheels. Otherwise, he'd be asking about 19's. For me, I couldn't justify paying the price for 19's because the car was a gift for my wife, who probably wouldn't appreciate a set of 19" SSR GT3's as much as I would. At the same time, I didn't want to give her something bone stock.

Mr. Johnson,
I meant 44 on the 10's & 36/8 on the 9.5's.
Old 06-25-02, 12:43 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wheels? Hehehe, you don’t believe I have wheels or something? Here’s a picture of my 20” HRE 543s with AP Racing 6-Piston brake setup...

As for the ADR’s...I have seen MANY ADR’s in person. The M-Sport, I have NOT. However, knowing ADR’s other wheels, I don’t give much hope for ANYTHING from ADR. They are a well known knock-off manufacturer. When I say they are crap, I don’t mean they’re necessarily going to fall apart. I’m sure the ADR’s are just as good as any other low end cast wheel...however, any wheel that’s a fake 3-piece is crap to me (like the low end Manaray Sport [MS] wheels)...

MOST knock-off wheels are not made to high standards...they are made to sell massive volumes at rock bottom prices (like a knock-off of anything really)...however, from what I have seen, the low end MS wheels seem like decent wheels but again, I wouldn’t even put them on a Civic. (I would do OG Spoon/Mugen/Volk/RacingHart or something along that line)

Also, I don’t follow MS wheels much (despite my handle…long story)...their high end hasn’t seen much action in quite some time...and I could really care less about their low end crap. In the past, ADR has NOT sold relabeled MS wheels. They have typically sourced their wheels from Taiwan...and since the low end MS are made in Taiwan...hmmm, it just very well might be possible that the M-Sport is in fact a relabled MS wheel!

Also, even if it says “Made in Japan”, that doesn’t mean it’s actually made there. There are ways to get that on there without it entirely being made in Japan. For example, you can source the materials and the casting in Taiwan, import them into Japan and then do the final machining in Japan...but it was still cast in Taiwan (not necessarily a bad thing)...and that would most likely qualify it to carry a “Made in Japan” stamp

As for the whole 2/3-piece vs. 1-piece...I’m not saying most people would get direct benefits from a multi-piece wheel but why buy a 1-piece that “looks” like a mutli-piece? Why not just buy a 1-piece? Trying to be something it’s not is cheesy in my book. If it’s a 1-piece, just look like 1-piece. There are MANY fine 1-piece wheels out there (AVS for example)

As far as being able to afford wheels, I agree. Anyone who owns a GS should be able to afford appropriate wheels...but asking for 18’s doesn’t necessarily mean they want “cheap” wheels…in your case, I can understand. I wouldn’t want to get my wife some high $$$ wheels to go and jack up. However, I also wouldn’t put ADR crap on her car either. I would just leave it stock...like I always say, there’s nothing wrong with stock...I don’t believe in modding just for the sake of modding.

Speaking of SSR, why not do a set of 18” SSR GT-1s? They’re only $400 per wheel...

Last edited by Manaray; 06-25-02 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-25-02, 01:58 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like ADR, I seen other knock off wheels that look like fake 3pc, one of the pounded in cosmetic rivets fell out and the guy had to take a rubber mallet and bang a new one in. I mean your talking a few hundred more for GOOD wheels, real 3pc, spend the few hundred more. And on 18's, how much more are we talking here? I can bet a lot of people buy 3pc wheels without even knowing the benefit, they just like the look. In the end, you didn't buy a car that looked like a GS, you bought a GS. So why buy a wheel that looks like a 3PC when it isn't? Have a little integrity.

Last edited by jpa2400; 06-25-02 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-25-02, 03:49 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

moocowman: Actually, most of HRE's customers buy our wheels because we can solve their problems.

What I mean by this is (to name a few):
1) Rieger widebody M3, special offsets... done it
2) VW Golf IV Widebody with Porsche 993 Brakes & Twin Turbo VR6, 18x8.5 and 18x10, special offsets... also
3) Toyota TRD widebody MR2, 19x9.5 front 19x12 rear, special offsets... very nice
4) Lamborghini Diablo & Murcielago, 18x8.5 and 19x13. Done
5) Porsche/TechArt widebody 996, 19x9 front and 19x12 rear, special offsets. Very cool
6) Lexus GS430 20x8.5 + 20x9.5 with GIANT 6-piston AP calipers... see above
7) Pantera GT-S, 18x9.5 + 18x13, special hubs, offsets, different bolt patters front & rear... no problemo
8) Saleen S7 19x9.5 and 20x13 special directional design, reverse-lip hidden-hardware wheels... did that, too (see all the car magazines next month for reviews on their yellow & red test cars!)

Anyway, just trying to make a point- we only build about 125 sets of wheels a month- cast aluminum wheel manufacturers can build that many in a half-day - and most of our customers are performance-oriented folks. There are definitely benefits in being able to specify offsets, rim configurations, allow for big brakes, optimize for weght, vary diameter and width, apply special finishes, etc.

For my personal SC400, I wanted a very aggressive look (19x9 front +35, 2" lip & 19x10 rear +35, 3" lip) with a flat rim style, hubcentric wheels, and clearance for Supra brakes... there aren't many options for wheels for someone like me (lucky for me, I am the Project Manager & Fitment Developer for HRE!).

So, end-of-the-day, sometimes it's worth it to spend a bit more dough and be happy: that's why you guys aren't all driving Toyota Echos...