Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Anyone had defectire tyres from TireRack?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-10, 07:32 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts
Default Anyone had defectire tyres from TireRack?

Few months ago, I ordered 4 Yokohama SType tyres for my GS460 with 19" MRR wheels.

Upon mounting, the installer indicated that all 4 tyres were defective. They were all out of round and had flat spots on them.

And sure enough, the ride sucked.. car wobbled at all speeds. They asked me to drive for a few miles and come back for a re-balance.. that slightly helped but the wobbly ride was still there.

TireRack have agreed to send me replacements, and have asked me to cut out the DOT numbers on the tyres and send to them.

Has anyone else had this problem before? Is it common?

Is it due to storage? Age?

Thanks
Old 08-25-10, 07:07 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

flat spots? any pics of that?

tirerack tends to have some pretty fresh tires. maybe just a bad batch?
Old 08-25-10, 12:22 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Need a little more information...

Sometimes, its just a matter of how the tire is mounted on the wheel... Sometimes its just a bad tire... Sometimes, switching one tire from one wheel to another is all it takes...

Do you have the new tires on already and is the ride better? It doesn't make much sense that an out of round tire can be solved by balancing the wheel/tire assembly... A shop with a Hunter GSP9700 would be able to diagnose if it is a tire or wheel or tire/wheel issue, and may be able to fix problems like that - I know back in my day, I was able to fix 90% of ride issues just by troubleshooting and using that machine to its potential - however, sometimes there are tires that just don't ride right... typically not all 4 though...
Old 08-25-10, 12:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i haven't, but the shop i went, they said they have defective tires from tirerack. i don't mean "all the time", but they install a lot of tires every day and they say they see problems with tires pretty often.
Old 08-26-10, 08:26 AM
designo
Pole Position

New tires are on their way. They should arrive saturday.

Here's the video of one of the tires being tested. All 4 tires showed same results. The wheel tech guy told me that my best bet would be to let our hot climate and constant driving massage the tires into shape.

No luck so far and its been over 2 months and over 2k driving!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uREKZK7LB_M

Last edited by designo; 08-26-10 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-26-10, 03:22 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

So, they have a balancer similar to the Hunter 9700... not familiar with it, but it gives some feedback as to the cause...

Many times when I would have low profile tires like that that were out of round, it could be fixed simply by dismounting the tire from the wheel, using extra tire lube, then remounting it in a different orientation, then, overinflating (above the 40 psi recommended) as needed, and many times, it was just simply the way the tire was seated on the wheel itself...

When he said to drive it and it might go away, he was basically saying that there is a possibility of the tire seating on the wheel better after some driving...

Just to clarify, that is indicative of a tire that is out of round - a flat spot is caused by either locking up the brakes, or sitting in one position for a long long time - this causes a noticeable "bump" where the whole thing looks round except for a small portion - yours is the entire assembly...
Old 08-28-10, 08:06 AM
designo
Pole Position

Tires are here.. wish me luck boys!
Old 08-28-10, 11:45 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, we get the tires directly from the tire manufacturers so the frequency of manufacturing defects wouldn't be any more or less with us then with anyone else. Of course we have a capable customer service department working 8-8 est willing and able to handle any manufacturer warranty claim. If any CL member has any specific problem you can always call or email me directly.
Old 08-29-10, 04:59 AM
designo
Pole Position

I will be mounting the new tires later today!

The problem with international customers like me is that we are always going to be the biggest losers! Simple.

TireRack will not refund me shipping costs, which in my case was $500. So I basically ended up paying $1000 for having defective tires replaced. Cause of shipping costs, customs etc!
Old 08-30-10, 06:07 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Well, I think we do better then any anyone else for international orders. The overall price, shipping time, selection and service is still better then most people can get in their home countries. But, I do agree it does get more complicated when a warranty claim needs to be made. Fortunately, warranty claims are few and far between.

In the future please place the order through this site, so that CL gets credit for the good work that they do. If you have problem's doing that you can always call or email me and I will walk you through it.

I have emailed the customer service manager to see if anything more can be done in your case, I will let you know later today. Thanks for your business!
Old 08-30-10, 06:37 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Here is the response from the CS manager, she was already aware of this situation.

"He'll receive CIF (Credit Including Freight) on the first order once we get the DOT cut outs back to forward to Yokohama for credit. Since it was an international order they (Yokohama) approved the cut outs in lieu of huge return freight costs to get the tires back to send in to them for warranty adjustment. $500.00 is still a lot, but the customer shouldn't have to pay freight for both orders since the tires are adjustable - we'll issue CIF once we get the cut outs back. "

Let me know if there is anything further I can do for you!
Old 08-30-10, 03:08 PM
designo
Pole Position

Excellent, I am very grateful for this info! I have been a regular client of tire rack since 1999. I have never purchased a tire locally thanks to Tire Rack.

I am emailed Penny about the DOT numbers. I wanted to know where they exactly are on the tire itself. So I can cut them off and send to you guys!

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-31-10, 09:48 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've purchased many sets of tires from Tire Rack, along with other parts like brake pads, etc. Never had a single problem.
Old 09-01-10, 02:02 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing that may amplify the situation is wheels that are not hubcentric. You may need some centering rings for your MRR's as the hub bore may be larger than the hub. I purchased a set from a vendor here on Cl. I think I was his first customer for these. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...et-wheels.html
Old 09-01-10, 03:11 AM
designo
Pole Position

The wheels are fine, the hub rings that came with the car worked like a charm, they fit tight and snug into the wheel hub. The tyre tech guy even pointed out that the wheels were perfectly round. The out of round was visible from on the tyres.

Quick Reply: Anyone had defectire tyres from TireRack?